2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Currently watching Domi struggle against Monteiro. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. I keep wondering if this guy will ever get back on track.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Currently watching Domi struggle against Monteiro. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. I keep wondering if this guy will ever get back on track.
I am also watching that match, actually it is sad to watch, Dom before his injury was a very good clay player, he could be in line to win a GS at RG, not now.
BTW FAA has not been in a Masters Final

Reactions: Moxie and kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I am also watching that match, actually it is sad to watch, Dom before his injury was a very good clay player, he could be in line to win a GS at RG, not now.
BTW FAA has not been in a Masters Final
Didn't think so. It must be smokin in Rio because these guys are dripping w/ perspiration. :eek:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Didn't think so. It must be smokin in Rio because these guys are dripping w/ perspiration. :eek:
I remembered when Rafa played there he used to 'sweat buckets of perspiration' lol!
Domi holds on to win the 2nd set, going 3,,lets see if he can win in 3 sets

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FAA needs to pop his big title cherry, then will be fine and hoover up a bunch of Masters, imo. Last year he won Rotterdam, and then nothing for most of they year, then won three titles in a row (two ATP 250s, one 500). I see him as a good candidate to win Masters soon, then be one of the strongest players in the last few months of the season.
As we have been discussing, the MS are more available over the past few years, with the ATGs skipping more often, by choice or not. Still waiting to hear on Rafa and Novak for IW and Miami, but I'm guessing no for either.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem in 3rd set TB v. Monteiro now. This will be a tough loss if he can't pull it off. Hometown favorite up 3-1.

EDIT: Thiago won a fantastic point to get to match point, then seals it on his serve. Fantastic win for him, but back to the drawing board for Thiem.

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Domi gone in the TB by a score of 7-2. Just way too defensive even for clay. Getting bossed by virtual nobodies is not a good sign. No confidence to stand on that baseline, dictate or absorb pace. :astonished-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Domi gone in the TB by a score of 7-2. Just way too defensive even for clay. Getting bossed by virtual nobodies is not a good sign. No confidence to stand on that baseline, dictate or absorb pace. :astonished-face:
Sad I had to go out and came back and saw the score line.....quite frankly I think he needs to go back to challengers and actually win a tournament, though he has been given a WC for IW. Domi has used up his 'protected ranking' as well.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

This is what I'm nore accustomed to seeing from the "old days!" The reason new blood got in there early and often is because injuries could take players out of the game for months, years, if not for good! Surgeries actually cut into the skin unlike the latest & greatest in arthroscopic work! BJK would have been winning those majors in her mid to late 30's instead of dropping SF's if not for so many old fashioned knee surgeries! Muster won his FO after a shattered knee, but he was the exception w/ rahab that didn't take years! :fearful-face: :astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I forgot to mention Andy Murray's win in Doha, why cant Murray win in straight sets? recovers from a set down and saves 3 MPs to defeat Sonego 46 61 76, he plays Zverev in Rd 2
BTW even his mum Judy Murray tweeted...." a straight sets win in a while would be nice' :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sad I had to go out and came back and saw the score line.....quite frankly I think he needs to go back to challengers and actually win a tournament, though he has been given a WC for IW
Welp, he's a former slam champ and an IW champ so they'll continue to give him WC's. But didn't he play a couple of challengers last year and was shown the door there too? It's pretty competitive in those lower level events. If he's playing like this, he will continue to be booted even in non-tour events.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Welp, he's a former slam champ and an IW champ so they'll continue to give him WC's. But didn't he play a couple of challengers last year and was shown the door there too? It's pretty competitive in those lower level events. If he's playing like this, he will continue to be booted even in non-tour events.
Domi did play some challenger tournaments last year and lost, agree it is competitive at challenger level, he was given a WC at the AO this year and lost in the first rd, he was a former finalist, I run out of idea's quite frankly, apart from the confidence factor which he needs, his fhand, choice of shot lets him down, I thought going back to challengers and winning a tournament at this stage might be in his best interests improving his ranking, he has used up his PR.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
To me he's got a bit of Grigor in him: results that don't quite match the visible on-court talent. Was it you who once made the remark that Grigor's game had a lot of "moving parts" that might take longer to come together then other young players? Maybe FAA is a bit like that. I mean, if you just look at what he can do on court, he's got elite talent.
No, that was @Asmodeus back on tennis.com.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seb Korda has withdrawn from ATP500 Acapulco he will be replaced by Mackenzie McDonald
Tsitsipas withdraws from ATP500 Acapulco with a shoulder injury Otto comes into the main draw

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Qatar,
Murray takes the 1st set against Zverev 76(5), Zverev was twice up a break and served for the set.
Come on Muzz lets win this in SS.
Of course Muzz likes to make us suffer, going 3 sets, Zverev wins the 2nd set 62
Good returning from Murray, breaks the serve of Zverev and will serve for the match 6-5
Murray d Zverev 76(5) 26 75

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tomaz Bellucci hangs up his racket at age 35, goes down to Sebastion Baez 63 62 at the Rio Open, he was the best Brazilian men's tennis player post Guga ( I saw Tomaz play at RG 2008 ).
200 career win
4 ATP titles ( 2009 Gstaad, 2010 Santiago, 2012, Gastadd, 2015 Geneva)
6 top 10 wins, including # 4 Murray at 2011 Madrid
One of just 5 players to bagel Djokovic on clay.

Reactions: El Dude and Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Tomaz Bellucci hangs up his racket at age 35, goes down to Sebastion Baez 63 62 at the Rio Open, he was the best Brazilian men's tennis player post Guga ( I saw Tomaz play at RG 2008 ).
200 career win
4 ATP titles ( 2009 Gstaad, 2010 Santiago, 2012, Gastadd, 2015 Geneva)
6 top 10 wins, including # 4 Murray at 2011 Madrid
One of just 5 players to bagel Djokovic on clay.
I remember Bellucci being a journeyman guy who seemed to be on the cusp of being a top 10-20 guy back in 2010ish (he peaked at #21). But he was a solid player, with a peak Elo of a hair's width from 2000 (1996). That's about where Roberto Bautista Agut is right now (1998).

I thought Thiago Monteiro could be decent, but he never even reached the top 50.

Another Brazilian who showed some promise was (is) Thiago Seyboth Wild, who won Santiago (250) at 19 years old in 2020, but has mostly disappeared since, barely playing in 2022 and not at all this year so far. He's still just 22, so has plenty of time, but perhaps @mrzz can report from the streets of Sao Paolo or Rio De Janeiro (or wherever you live, mrzz). Did he call it quits? I did see that in Sept of 2021 there were allegations of domestic violence.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from his match against Fils in Marseille, tonight, due to viral illness, Fils gets a walkover to the next round.
David Goffin withdrew from Marseille, Mikael Ymer, straight through to the QFs

P.Carreno Busta withdraws from ATP500 Dubai, replaced by Tallon Griekspoor

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray,Thanasi Kokkinakis, Malek Jaziri received main draw wildcards for ATP500 Dubai tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.