2020 French Open Final: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe the best display of tennis by Rafa I Ever seen..Even better than his RG 08 defeat of the great Federer.. Rafa's defense was superior..I was talking to Kieran and Tennisman that Rafa and team have been practicing for Novak's dropshots for hours the past few days. Novak needs to fire whomever came up with that idiotic strategy including himself..it must've felt like heaven to play tennis today when all the weapons in your arsenal is firing on all cylinders without the aid of the opening of the roof and the Sun.. Vamos

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
IMG_20201011_092710.jpg

Vamos King Rafa

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Agree with all Rafa in FO just unplayable, he is on god level here.

I would not call it god level, god would play with a mix of Novak and Roger, and that in perfection.

Not like Bob, winning that much and so often due to his inhuman ability to bring balls back (BBB).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
This was peak running Workman.

Not nice to watch, but effective as hell.

Why should he change anything, it’s working for over a decade.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When fed got manhandled in 08 the excuses were 'mono, 'old'' etc... When Stan got crushed, in 17 finals, 'IF IT WERE ONLY NOVAK'... Then today?

What people keep getting wrong (including me who thought Novak had a good shot) is that Rafa in a FO final is NOT Rafa in Rome, MC, Barcelona or even Rafa in FO quarters or early rounds, once he gets to the final of FO, Rafa is even above Rafa in any other situation, and Rafa is greatest clay courter of all time. 13-0 in finals, not enough for people to understand that Rafa in FO final is a completely different animal?

Today we saw why it is so difficult. If you don't attack rafa constantly, Rafa attacks you and destroys you because, unlike what anyone thinks, Rafa is a very aggressive player. So then what do players need to do? Attack him and redline for 3-5 hours... You saw Djokovic pick up the pace, hit pretty hard and deep in 3rd set but then, Rafa can also play amazing defense on clay, so even that is not a sure bet, even if you redline and keep UFEs to a minimum.

Djokovic wasn't sharp in 1st two sets, a shame, and it was 0,2! Djokovic picked up his game significantly in 3rd set but he was redlining, hitting hard and even losing many points where he executed well. Eventually, an error here or there, and set was over. Djokovic has the best game to beat Nadal on clay but he has to execute to perfection for 3-5 hours, take risks, hit big, not miss much... The best Djokovic has done against an in form Nadal was 2013 FO semis (2015 nadal was at 60%)... I don't think Djokovic can play better than that and he lost, Nadal came up with many crazy winners, especially fh does the line, to basically neutralize Djokovic in the final set.. The level Djokovic produced in that semi is incredibly difficult to replicate.... the stars need to align and it still doesn't guarantee a win.

Mike, you are totally missing the point for why Djokovic lost.....it’s the same problem that caused the Tsitsipas match to go to 5. Djokovic’s first serving is inexcusably sloppy and abysmal at times. I believe in the first set he only made 40% of first serves. He never seems to get in a serving rhythm, even when he’s playing well.

Notice how Nadal and especially Federer walk up to the line, especially when they’re fresh, and smoothly hit the serves they want. Djokovic still dribbles 18 times like he did 10 years ago and then muscles the ball into the net before taking another 20 minutes to barely get his second serve in. It cost him at the end of the 3rd set against Tsitsipas and it cost him in the first set today.

That’s his main area of weakness, and with Nadal sharp and energized, it didn’t allow him to get the match to open up.

Reactions: Bonaca

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal owns djokovic now, its like RG 2008 final replay, but now its djokovic Also poor federer losing 2nd goat today because djokovic already better.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Mike, you are totally missing the point for why Djokovic lost.....it’s the same problem that caused the Tsitsipas match to go to 5. Djokovic’s first serving is inexcusably sloppy and abysmal at times. I believe in the first set he only made 40% of first serves. He never seems to get in a serving rhythm, even when he’s playing well.

Notice how Nadal and especially Federer walk up to the line, especially when they’re fresh, and smoothly hit the serves they want. Djokovic still dribbles 18 times like he did 10 years ago and then muscles the ball into the net before taking another 20 minutes to barely get his second serve in. It cost him at the end of the 3rd set against Tsitsipas and it cost him in the first set today.

That’s his main area of weakness, and with Nadal sharp and energized, it didn’t allow him to get the match to open up.
djokovic today :rip::anxious-face-with-sweat: is someone salty little girl? LOL.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal owns djokovic now, its like RG 2008 final replay, but now its djokovic Also poor federer losing 2nd goat today because djokovic already better.

To Nadal’s credit, in both cases he reminded everyone of the weaknesses of Federer (backhand) and Djokovic (serve) in those two matches.

Djokovic obviously felt that he could play his way into this match like he does all the others, and it’s hard to blame him given his undefeated record for the year. But his serving was even more terrible than it was of late. And that really cost him. It was so bad it didn’t allow the rest of his game to get going.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Serve was not the only issue. Novak typically does not make very many UFE. Today, he was like an UFE machine.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
djokovic today :rip::anxious-face-with-sweat: is someone salty little girl? LOL.

Stop using that “sexist” language before Moxie chastises you, although she will probably give you a pass since you are pro-Nadal.

That said, this match was about Djokovic blowing it more than Nadal taking it, as usual. There is no excuse to serve 40% in a first set of a major final, unless he actually is hurt.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serve was not the only issue. Novak typically does not make very many UFE. Today, he was like an UFE machine.

Well you should expect to make a few more against someone like Nadal on clay. That makes the poor serving even more inexcusable. It made him stay on court an extra 2 hours against Tsitsipas and it resulted in a bagel set to start the match today.

Serving cost Djokovic this tournament.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
To Nadal’s credit, in both cases he reminded everyone of the weaknesses of Federer (backhand) and Djokovic (serve) in those two matches.

Djokovic obviously felt that he could play his way into this match like he does all the others, and it’s hard to blame him given his undefeated record for the year. But his serving was even more terrible than it was of late. And that really cost him. It was so bad it didn’t allow the rest of his game to get going.
I really was thinking you going to go off at me and Nadal right now but you give Nadal credit WOW you must really be in a good mood today. anyway yes Nadal gave djokovic the RG 2008 level today it was great to see.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Stop using that “sexist” language before Moxie chastises you, although she will probably give you a pass since you are pro-Nadal.

That said, this match was about Djokovic blowing it more than Nadal taking it, as usual. There is no excuse to serve 40% in a first set of a major final, unless he actually is hurt.

Haha so right. Even to call Diego Shorty was too much for her.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really was thinking you going to go off at me and Nadal right now but you give Nadal credit WOW you must really be in a good mood today. anyway yes Nadal gave djokovic the RG 2008 level today it was great to see.

I used to actually be a big Nadal fan until he won the Australian Open in 2009.....I am not so much a Nadal hater as a hater of the way he wins big matches. But it’s hard to fault him for it because he is smart and comes prepared and doesn’t beat himself. Today he served extremely well in the first set and a half and he was ready for the Djokovic drop shots.

Djokovic, on the other hand, looked like he was up until 4am Friday night, which he probably was because of the Tsitsipas match. The serving chickens came home to roost in both matches. He takes too long before his first serve and then he makes too low a percentage.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Don’t want to break celebration, but have to say:

it’s really a shame that one can win that much with so little.
The endless rabbit-like running is really enough.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Would you care to explain how Djokovic managed to serve only 40% in the first set? Any word out of Serbia on what was wrong with him?

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions

bad luck today my friend Nadal too good, RG 2008 all over again but both know djokovic is going to win Australian open anyway his time coming.