2020 French Open Final: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, he hasn't had a year of wear-and-tear on his body, so I think has a chance of coming back in similar form to 2019--after he throws off the rust, that is. So I expect (or hope for) more of the same in 2021 as we saw in 2019: Overall very good play, but only reaching previous heights for short periods of time. If he times it right, he could win Wimbledon.

Looking back at that match vs Djokovic, he was 36-32 in games. Really tragic, and the Federer loss that I found more disheartening than any other.

36-32 in games doesn't even begin to show how lopsided Fed outplayed Djokovic and still lost. Every key stats (apart from sets won which simply means win/loss) was in Fed's favour, the most important ones include, Fed broke Djoker 4 times more (7-3), had huge lead in receiving points won which actually says he was out-returning Djoker, had much better winner/unforced error ratio (which usually determines the winner), better service percentage and points won and aces and whatnot. Put simply, Fed served better, returned better, won more games, broke more games, won more points and basically did everything better, Djoker had nothing on him except sets (3-2).
I called it the most spectacular choke ever as when you combine that it's the biggest occasion in tennis (Doesn't get bigger than Wimbledon final), and every important match determining stats in your favour (nobody with such lopsided winning stats ever lost a match, correct me if i am wrong), and then with championship points on your racquets with your best shot (the serve).

I cannot think of another match like that, ever.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Thats a good one. Was that meant to be a Big Mouth or a donut or both? When they were each asked about AO, Rafa respectfully said it's not up to him and nobody should tell the host country what's more safe for them, while Djoker asked for concessions, wanting it scheduled to suit him.

And Djoker fans always complain people don't like their idol, as if they actually don't know why........

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jim Courier recently was quoted as saying that Novak "stole" that match. I know there was a lot of arguing about what happened, but, as a reasonably dispassionate viewer, I was completely shocked that Roger blew it when he had CPs on his racquet. I really do think this kind of thing is a consequence of age, and wanting it too much. He tightened up, in a way that he wouldn't have when he was younger. While I think "most spectacular choke ever" is quite the superlative, given the occasion, the venue and the meaning for tennis history, you might just be right.
CPs were just one of the things, like i stated before pretty much every stat was in Fed's favor which makes it so odd, even for a first round match. For me, i think it's a match that just wasn't meant to be, and it is a most cruel match to lose. Even for a nobody care small match, nobody has lost one with stats like that....and it's a Wimbledon final.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thats a good one. Was that meant to be a Big Mouth or a donut or both? When they were each asked about AO, Rafa respectfully said it's not up to him and nobody should tell the host country what's more safe for them, while Djoker asked for concessions, wanting it scheduled to suit him.

And Djoker fans always complain people don't like their idol, as if they actually don't know why........

It’s a bagel for the 6-0.