2020 French Open Final: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to the running rabbit, best ball-back-bringer ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
All luck for sure. Lucky 13, eh? Let the excuse making begin.

Why so bitter.

End of set 3, Novak create chances, Bob repeatedly hits the lines. What else is hitting lines than be lucky.

He brought it to perfection, he is a human rabbit, he put all on this card, and it was the right decision.
Hat off for the BBBB.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He did it! Rafael Nadal wins his 13th French Open title and 20th Grand Slam overall! Also, he won this event without dropping a set for a 4th time at age 34! He is now 100-2 at Roland Garros and 13-0 at the Finals without going into a fifth set at all!

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
When fed got manhandled in 08 the excuses were 'mono, 'old'' etc... When Stan got crushed, in 17 finals, 'IF IT WERE ONLY NOVAK'... Then today?

What people keep getting wrong (including me who thought Novak had a good shot) is that Rafa in a FO final is NOT Rafa in Rome, MC, Barcelona or even Rafa in FO quarters or early rounds, once he gets to the final of FO, Rafa is even above Rafa in any other situation, and Rafa is greatest clay courter of all time. 13-0 in finals, not enough for people to understand that Rafa in FO final is a completely different animal?

Today we saw why it is so difficult. If you don't attack rafa constantly, Rafa attacks you and destroys you because, unlike what anyone thinks, Rafa is a very aggressive player. So then what do players need to do? Attack him and redline for 3-5 hours... You saw Djokovic pick up the pace, hit pretty hard and deep in 3rd set but then, Rafa can also play amazing defense on clay, so even that is not a sure bet, even if you redline and keep UFEs to a minimum.

Djokovic wasn't sharp in 1st two sets, a shame, and it was 0,2! Djokovic picked up his game significantly in 3rd set but he was redlining, hitting hard and even losing many points where he executed well. Eventually, an error here or there, and set was over. Djokovic has the best game to beat Nadal on clay but he has to execute to perfection for 3-5 hours, take risks, hit big, not miss much... The best Djokovic has done against an in form Nadal was 2013 FO semis (2015 nadal was at 60%)... I don't think Djokovic can play better than that and he lost, Nadal came up with many crazy winners, especially fh does the line, to basically neutralize Djokovic in the final set.. The level Djokovic produced in that semi is incredibly difficult to replicate.... the stars need to align and it still doesn't guarantee a win.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
All luck for sure. Lucky 13, eh? Let the excuse making begin.

Why so bitter.

End of set 3, Novak created chances, Bob repeatedly hits the lines. What else is hitting lines than be lucky.

He brought it to perfection, he is a human rabbit, he put all on this card, and it was the right decision.

Hat off for the BBBB.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When fed got manhandled in 08 the excuses were 'mono, 'old'' etc... When Stan got crushed, in 17 finals, 'IF IT WERE ONLY NOVAK'... Then today?

What people keep getting wrong (including me who thought Novak had a good shot) is that Rafa in a FO final is NOT Rafa in Rome, MC, Barcelona or even Rafa in FO quarters or early rounds, once he gets to the final of FO, Rafa is even above Rafa in any other situation, and Rafa is greatest clay courter of all time. 13-0 in finals, not enough for people to understand that Rafa in FO final is a completely different animal?

Today we saw why it is so difficult. If you don't attack rafa constantly, Rafa attacks you and destroys you because, unlike what anyone thinks, Rafa is a very aggressive player. So then what do players need to do? Attack him and redline for 3-5 hours... You saw Djokovic pick up the pace, hit pretty hard and deep in 3rd set but then, Rafa can also play amazing defense on clay, so even that is not a sure bet, even if you redline and keep UFEs to a minimum.

Djokovic wasn't sharp in 1st two sets, a shame, and it was 0,2! Djokovic picked up his game significantly in 3rd set but he was redlining, hitting hard and even losing many points where he executed well. Eventually, an error here or there, and set was over. Djokovic has the best game to beat Nadal on clay but he has to execute to perfection for 3-5 hours, take risks, hit big, not miss much... The best Djokovic has done against an in form Nadal was 2013 FO semis (2015 nadal was at 60%)... I don't think Djokovic can play better than that and he lost, Nadal came up with many crazy winners, especially fh does the line, to basically neutralize Djokovic in the final set.. The level Djokovic produced in that semi is incredibly difficult to replicate.... the stars need to align and it still doesn't guarantee a win.
Agree with all Rafa in FO just unplayable, he is on god level here.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It genuinely amazes me how many people are picking Djokovic

This is Nadal in a Roland Garros final. He controls his destiny here and is the favorite

Also fun fact: This is the pairs 9th grand slam final tying them with Federer-Nadal for the record. Also, their 16th grand slam match which is 1 behind Federer-Djokovic. What a golden era this is where we see these matches at such high stakes so often. Truly one of the best rivalries in the history of tennis
I just wanted to give a bump to this post from @tennisville who showed up to slap a little sense into people.

Reactions: tennisville