2020 French Open Final: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
nadal-mp-vibes.gif

I could watch this all day - Rafa closing it out on the grandest stage with a cool ace, against the man they say is the best returner in the business. Humongous performance by Rafa, awe-inspiring throughout, his cross court backhand, his serve, his strategic genius. Felt like he was only getting started, then it finished. I love re-watching this match, it's a masterclass in match-play, shotmaking and the ability to excel under pressure at the highest level... :clap::clap:

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I could watch this all day - Rafa closing it out on the grandest stage with a cool ace, against the man they say is the best returner in the business. Humongous performance by Rafa, awe-inspiring throughout, his cross court backhand, his serve, his strategic genius. Felt like he was only getting started, then it finished. I love re-watching this match, it's a masterclass in match-play, shotmaking and the ability to excel under pressure at the highest level... :clap::clap:

cheap but Understandable , you don’t have many opportunities like that one.
Of course you exaggerate , But if the opponent plays that bad it takes something away.

What Ivan said does not contradict that.

Just to be clear: You know the difference between on and off record statements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Psst don't tell anyone I have already watched the final 3 times:) and counting.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Probably one of the best finals Rafa has played at Roland Garos in my opinion.,

It’s among them, given how the conditions were diametrically opposed to what he’d prefer. I could feel it early on, Novak trying to angle him wide on the backhand, and Rafa thumping even finer angles off that wing to stump the Serb..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s among them, given how the conditions were diametrically opposed to what he’d prefer. I could feel it early on, Novak trying to angle him wide on the backhand, and Rafa thumping even finer angles off that wing to stump the Serb..
Yep,Rafa's bhand was 'on in that final' I think he knew it had to be,also his fhand down the line another winner.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep,Rafa's bhand was 'on in that final' I think he knew it had to be,also his fhand down the line another winner.

It’s a great shot, and when he’s in that form, it makes him impregnable. It has power, works down the line or angled, with great pace. He becomes untouchable when the backhand is clicking like this..

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
IT'S NOT ABOUT EVERYTHING BEING PREDICATED ON THE SERVE ALONE. THAT IS NOT THE ARGUMENT.

The point is that the other aspects of your game are going to be much more suppressed and not as able to flourish when your opponent is serving a full 33% higher than you. This is what I always said about Nalbandian as well. No matter how good he was from the baseline, the truth is it is very hard to consistently overcome 50% or worse first serve days (and Nalbandian had a problem with double faults too, which Djokovic does not).

How are you going to take control of points if you're serving at 43% while your opponent is serving 76%? And if you don't take control of points, how are you going to develop confidence or rhythm in the match?

The point about bad first serving numbers is that they can hold back everything else that is great in your game. Believe me, I would know as a Nalbandian fan. That was his chief problem.

No, Medvedev absolutely did have Nadal on the ropes. Nadal was wobbling around with his legs shaking, and he was also shocked that the match had extended as far as it had. Medvedev had all the momentum at the start of the 5th and pulled his punch. And ever since I told you that Medvedev has a serious mental problem when it comes to closing out matches, you have seen him lose matches repeatedly after having a lead (most notably at the World Tour Finals last year, which crystallized my point so clearly that you should have been able to see it).

Nadal was flailing at the start of the 5th and Medvedev simply did not deliver the knock-out blow. It was very similar to Djokovic in the 3rd set of the 2013 US Open final.
djokovic got owned by Nadal in the RG final with the god mode tennis Nadal was playing, you can talk about that ifs but end of the day its 6-0 6-2 7-5, djokovic was like nadal doormat that day LOL. djokovic playing poorly is his own fault don't be a salty little girl?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, Medvedev absolutely did have Nadal on the ropes. Nadal was wobbling around with his legs shaking, and he was also shocked that the match had extended as far as it had. Medvedev had all the momentum at the start of the 5th and pulled his punch. And ever since I told you that Medvedev has a serious mental problem when it comes to closing out matches, you have seen him lose matches repeatedly after having a lead (most notably at the World Tour Finals last year, which crystallized my point so clearly that you should have been able to see it).

Nadal was flailing at the start of the 5th and Medvedev simply did not deliver the knock-out blow. It was very similar to Djokovic in the 3rd set of the 2013 US Open final.
Your notion of Medvedev having Nadal "on the ropes" is having 15-40 in the 2nd game of the 5th set and Nadal saving those BPs. OK, if you like. I know you've elsewhere called those 2 points his great "5th Set collapse". That being the case, though, you must be willing to say that Nadal certainly had Medvedev "on the ropes" when up 2 sets to love and a break in the 3rd, right?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Your notion of Medvedev having Nadal "on the ropes" is having 15-40 in the 2nd game of the 5th set and Nadal saving those BPs. OK, if you like. I know you've elsewhere called those 2 points his great "5th Set collapse". That being the case, though, you must be willing to say that Nadal certainly had Medvedev "on the ropes" when up 2 sets to love and a break in the 3rd, right?

No, unfortunately you’re wrong, sister. Rafa can’t have anyone on the ropes by definition, because all he does is run around and lift heavy things like a working donkey. See, they place themselves on the ropes and at any stage can reverse their predicament by only playing a little bit better.

Po’ Ralph had nothing to do with it at all... :(

Reactions: Moxie and imjimmy

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
No, unfortunately you’re wrong, sister. Rafa can’t have anyone on the ropes by definition, because all he does is run around and lift heavy things like a working donkey. See, they place themselves on the ropes and at any stage can reverse their predicament by only playing a little bit better.

Po’ Ralph had nothing to do with it at all... :(

„ If his BH is clicking like that he becomes untouchable“
That funny line is familiar to you?
Doesn’t that mean exactly what you accuse others of?

No one said Novak just had to play a bit better to beat the working donkey. What we say is he was far from his best, Nadal was at his best.
Novak‘s peak level is higher, even the builder , admitted that after facing it in real.
Everyone talks about the stellar seasons 2011/2015, but the level he showed in parts in the beginning 2016: AO 2016 SF first two sets against Maestro and the whole F in Doha against Bull, that was a real untouchable level.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Calitennis and Bonaca are lucky that Usain Bolt didn't join tennis because Federer & Djokovic would have had zero slams. That's based on their logic. :wacko::bye:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Yes, because I am consistent. That said, I think everyone including myself had a sense that Medvedev had not yet put his best foot forward in the match, especially after he squandered his break lead in the first set.

But yes, I am willing to concede that Nadal had Medvedev on the ropes in the 3rd set. And I would also say that Djokovic had Nadal on the ropes at the end of the second set of the 2014 French Open final.

Reactions: Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, because I am consistent. That said, I think everyone including myself had a sense that Medvedev had not yet put his best foot forward in the match, especially after he squandered his break lead in the first set.

But yes, I am willing to concede that Nadal had Medvedev on the ropes in the 3rd set. And I would also say that Djokovic had Nadal on the ropes at the end of the second set of the 2014 French Open final.
There is no "on the ropes" at the end of the second set of a Major, when they've split the first 2 sets. You really need to understand terms better. The word "collapse" would be another one.

Reactions: Kieran

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a great shot, and when he’s in that form, it makes him impregnable. It has power, works down the line or angled, with great pace. He becomes untouchable when the backhand is clicking like this..

I agree brother Kieran! His two best wins against Federer in slams was because he was hitting backhand beautifully! I am talking about the 2009 AO Final and 2014 AO semifinal. Federer could not believe that Nadal was hitting his backhand with tremendous angles and pace throughout the match!

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actual Bobo beats young Bobo no doubt about that.
It’s not the question if he runs faster than his younger version, the fact is he runs faster than every opponent and brings back nearly everything. He runs as fast as ever with more experience, that brings him the advantage against young Bobo. He is not very smart player, but the biggest working man with robot like discipline. He is a freak not only to that point. He is so dogged , means everything to him, no children!
Every Nadaltard is crying about the conditions, why? Slow as hell helped him the most. In May/June it would have been much harder for him.
He is damn lucky about many things including COVID. Roger beat him more often in last years and Novak dominates him for a decade now.

As fast as ever because of more experience?

Bonehead logic that I can just easily take apart.

According to bonehead Novak diehard, old players with bad knees have magical movement just as fast because increased age means more experience ....wow so they actually never retire and reach higher level, since their experience only increases right?

So how the hell do older players slow down? Why do they decline? Their skill and power stay, they simply don’t decline if their movement stays. I am sorry to say but Bonana is beyond stupid and he is acting like people don’t treat him (or his idol) fair, when he whinges about Nadals family life.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
As fast as ever because of more experience?

Bonehead logic that I can just easily take apart.

According to bonehead Novak diehard, old players with bad knees have magical movement just as fast because increased age means more experience ....wow so they actually never retire and reach higher level, since their experience only increases right?

So how the hell do older players slow down? Why do they decline? Their skill and power stay, they simply don’t decline if their movement stays. I am sorry to say but Bonana is beyond stupid and he is acting like people don’t treat him (or his idol) fair, when he whinges about Nadals family life.

Well I’m sorry for you too Retardo, for many reasons.
Keep on trying to understand Retardo.
He still brings back everything, that’s main reason for his success in the past and now, the best working donkey ever.
There isn’t significant decline for his game style yet.
If you read carefully you will see it’s not the question if he runs faster or not of his younger self, he would beat him.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Nadalfan2013