2020 French Open Final: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I’ll take Nalbandian, Safin, Davydenko, Moya, etc. over the second tier today.

Murray started doing damage in 2006. He was one of the few to beat Federer that year. And Wawrinka did not hit his prime until his early 30’s. He also never really had a dominant stretch aside from his Slam runs. Look at his record against the Big 3. It’s not pretty.

The second tier was better during Federer’s reign that it is today.
the second tier and even third tier players are way better these days, but like I said wawrinka Murray added way more hardest to majors in Djokovic Nadal era than Federer weak era players. nothing all saying is based on facts its just a crazy salty fan rumbling, Also none of these players you said besides Safin won majors LOL.

Last edited:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He will skip ATP Finals like he skipped US Open, knowing he most likely will not win.
He should also think about skipping AO 21 and use these 7 month to prepare for French Open 21 like he did this year.
Hope for upsets and disqualifications.
Would be damn smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I share your sentiments but you should be venting your frustration more on Djokovic for failing to close out Tsitsipas in 3 and serving like crap for so much of this tournament. That cost him this match.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the second tier and even third tier players way better these days, but like I said wawrinka Murray added way more hardest to majors in Djokovic Nadal era than Federer weak era players. nothing all saying is based on facts its just a crazy salty fan rumbling, Also none of these players you said besides Safin won majors LOL.

How in the world do you have “facts” to back up what you’re saying? Murray and Wawrinka were a part of Federer’s era just as much they were of the Djokovic/Nadal era. Murray reached his first US Open final in 2008. Does that not count? When did his career begin for you? When he was 28?

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal
How in the world do you have “facts” to back up what you’re saying? Murray and Wawrinka were a part of Federer’s era just as much they were of the Djokovic/Nadal era. Murray reached his first US Open final in 2008. Does that not count? When did his career begin for you? When he was 28?
So Murray and wawrinka hit their peaks in 2012-17, which is not in Federer ERA, never said they did not play in Federer era why you putting words in my mouth? their peaks was in the Nadal era, also last time I reply to 3rd goat Federer low IQ fan.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal

So Murray and wawrinka hit their peaks in 2012-17, which is not in Federer ERA, never said they did not play in Federer era why you putting words in my mouth? their peaks was in the Nadal era, also last time I reply to 3rd goat Federer low IQ fan.

Lol.....you idiot, perhaps Murray was not at his peak in the Federer era because he could not beat him? Did you ever think of that?

He lost the 2008 US Open final, 2010 Australian Open final, and 2011 Wimbledon final to Federer. So his “peak” would have started much sooner without Federer in the way.

And I’m sorry, there’s no way the 2015/2016 Wawrinka would have beaten Federer 2003-2011 the way he did Djokovic and Nadal in those 3 Slam finals.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I share your sentiments but you should be venting your frustration more on Djokovic for failing to close out Tsitsipas in 3 and serving like crap for so much of this tournament. That cost him this match.

Yeah this SF disaster was so necessary and cost him lot. He wasn’t mentally fresh enough, and came way too late on the needed temperature.

Serve cost him 1,5 sets, relying on drop shot also stupid after seeing that the rabbit was well prepared for that.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Anyway now Nadal can win WTF if he plays of course, and win Australian open 2021 most likely beats Djokovic in straights sets RG, wimbledon us open the sky the limit for this god level player Nadal, Djokovic is scared of Nadal now.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The telling stat of the match

Novak UFE 52 in three sets of tennis on clay???? help me.I did not think that would happen.

Novak will play in Vienna starting October 24th.

As usual he is always gracious in defeat and Rafa was the superior player today.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal has both Djokovic and Federer scared as hell right now hiding in Switzerland and Serbia most likely just skip RG next year so they don't to get owned by Nadal again RG 2008,2020

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He was stubborn as hell with them too. If something isn't working, try something new. Duh. I dunno wtf he was thinking. Woeful tactics first 2 sets. Decided to change things up only when down 2 sets. Way too late.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions

You are absolutely right.
Just read , Novak said he blame himself mostly for having not enough patience for proper point construction during the rallies. Due to very bad/late start and long SF. He said he made bad decisions in primarily trying to cut Rabbits rhythm instead of finding/ gaining own rhythm.

He was too far away from his a game.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
51 of those UFEs were probably crap drop shots!
OMG which cave did you just come out from? Switzerland one maybe anyway, with your LOW IQ did you see goat Nadal match today owning djokovic just like he did to federer in RG 2008 LOL.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal has both Djokovic and Federer scared as hell right now hiding in Switzerland and Serbia most likely just skip RG next year so they don't to get owned by Nadal again RG 2008,2020

You and your tag team partner are mostly the reason I barely ever post here anymore so congrats I guess. For 38 years old and in terribly windy conditions, Federer did WAY better last year at RG than Djokovic did today. Ponder that...

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He was stubborn as hell with them too. If something isn't working, try something new. Duh. I dunno wtf he was thinking. Woeful tactics first 2 sets. Decided to change things up only when down 2 sets. Way too late.

We know the usual reason for excessive use of dropshots; I'm wondering if Novak was feeling a little fatigued from the marathon with Tsitsipas. Somehow the prospect of grinding it out from the baseline with Rafa was not appealing to him. Yet I agree that after the first disastrous set, he should have at least gone for his shots and tried to paint the lines rather than bleed to death with drop shots, which actually brought Nadal closer in rallies for better court positioning.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah this SF disaster was so necessary and cost him lot. He wasn’t mentally fresh enough, and came way too late on the needed temperature.

Serve cost him 1,5 sets, relying on drop shot also stupid after seeing that the rabbit was well prepared for that.

The drop shots would have worked better if his serve was doing any kind of damage and the match actually opened up. You can’t serve 40% in the first set of a Grand Slam final.

Reactions: Bonaca

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
Mike, you make some good points but for the most part you are full of shit on this issue. Djokovic has beaten Nadal 7 times on clay. Do you seriously think he played perfectly every time? Do you think he never made a mistake in those wins? That is ridiculous. Stop making Nadal out to be some invincible superhuman for Djokovic to overcome.
Moya, Diego, Fed, Novak, Ferrer, Thiem, Fabio and more have beaten Nadal on clay. In FO? Nadal has only lost twice before finals and against Soderling, he was not 100% physically and against Djokovic, in 15, Nadal was coming back from the abyss. In finals? 13-0? Do you think it's a coincidence that Theim fed, novak, ferrer and others have beaten Nadal on lesser tournaments but in FO final, they get beaten handily? Rafa is the greatest clay courter of all time and when he makes finals of RG, he more difficult to beat (exponentially) than in other tournaments. Nadal is not unbeatable but to beat him, is almost impossible, in RG final. The closest i have seen Nadal los at his best was in 2013 semi-finals when Djokovic was at his very very best.... Nadal had to come up with something extra and he did, he started hitting unbelievable forehand winners, down the line and inside out... and edged Djokovic. Djokovic, was at his very best and still lost. The point is, everything has to go perfect - hitting big without missing, good tactics, variety, mental strength, defense and a bit of luck.

Second, my point about serving is not that Djokovic needed to be Kevin Anderson. My point is that he needed to be better than a qualifier. Is it too much to ask the #1 player in the world to serve between 60 and 70% in the first set of a Grand slam final? He served 40% today in the first set. That is abysmal. And there is no excuse for it.
Djokovic wasn't at his best today, that's why score was 0,2... do you think it would've been 0,2 against other players? NO. That's the point, Nadal will destroy you if you don't bring your best and even when you do, you can lose.

The match didn’t even open up until the 3rd set because of how bad Djokovic’s serving was.
and in the 3rd set did you see how well Djokovic was hitting his groundstrokes, hard, deep.... and it still wasn't enough. That's the thing, if you are not at your best, you can lose 0,2.. at your best, still lose. That's Nadal., in RG final.

As for Nadal’s natural offense, you are of course overrating it. If he had the offensive talent you are talking about, he would have a much better overall record at Wimbledon and he would have won more early in his career at the US Open. My own opinion of Nadal shifted 2007 to 2009 with his US Open losses. He was immensely athletic and I was rooting for him against Ferrer and Murray so that a Fed-Nadal final could happen. But then we saw his limitations on full display in those two matches, as we also did against Delpo in 2009.
Nadal has tremendous power and spin but his forehand is a type of shot that needs a little time... clay gives him that time. When he has that extra time, he can generate as much power and spin as anyone... Nadal can also hit many winners on grass and hardcourt, during his US wins, he has won them by hitting many winners... that is just a fact. But on clay cali, he has a bit of extra time to fully uncoil and extend his swing....

just spend a few mins checking this video out, this is insane... Busta is being toyed with here, the power of Nadal is too much. Have you seen nadal cali? I have, in person, at 2017 FO... boy, can he generate power. Watch below so you can fully appreciate what you are facing when you are up against Nadal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
You and your tag team partner are mostly the reason I barely ever post here anymore so congrats I guess. For 38 years old and in terribly windy conditions, Federer did WAY better last year at RG than Djokovic did today. Ponder that...
will your right on Federer doing better than Djokovic today, I give you that, Also Nobody wanted you to leave even me so that's on you but sorry I guess, but you also did some big trolling as well against Nadal. Also Nadal winning Australian open 2021 without dropping a set as well, then RG again that do you think?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
We know the usual reason for excessive use of dropshots; I'm wondering if Novak was feeling a little fatigued from the marathon with Tsitsipas. Somehow the prospect of grinding it out from the baseline with Rafa was not appealing to him. Yet I agree that after the first disastrous set, he should have at least gone for his shots and tried to paint the lines rather than bleed to death with drop shots, which actually brought Nadal closer in rallies for better court positioning.

Yeah definitely either physically not feeling it or mentally wanted to end points sooner but there are other ways to do it. I honestly doubt he was that physically drained 'cos the match against Tsitsipas wasn't really that intense. The 3 sets he won, he won easily.

His serving was crap today much of today but he could've mixed it up with body serves, even a bit of S&V. I thought he should have hit the ball very hard up the middle of the court more often to give Nadal less acute angles. Nadal was brilliant today in fairness and I can't stand him so I can't compliment much more than that. Much better today than 2008 final. Previously I'd thought Monte Caro 2010 against Verdasco where Verdacso won just 1 game was the best I've seen Nadal play on clay but much of today may well have been better. That said, Djokovic was also woeful for 2 sets.