Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thiem in three sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem has to be mentally prepared tomorrow especially at the start of the resume match. He has the break lead and hopefully he can maintain it...or else Djokovic might run with the match
Don’t be afraid, Thiem will not collapse, he will continue playing high level tennis. He will not gifting anything to Novak. That’s good, Novak has to earn it. A game or losing, it is only about him, cause Thiem is showing his best already.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Indeed. Djokovic is lucky they stopped...he definitely needed a mental re-set. Of course, the winner of that match won't be lucky to have to have played likely a couple of hours or more the day before the final v. Rafa.

Yes and no. Clearly things were not going his way today. But playing tomorrow is not ideal either. There was quite a lot of momentum swings too in this match. Novak took control at the end of the second and looked good at the start of the third but then Thiem was playing lights out.

I think Thiem's chances against Nadal are just as good as Djokovic. Both pretty low.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes and no. Clearly things were not going his way today. But playing tomorrow is not ideal either. There was quite a lot of momentum swings too in this match. Novak took control at the end of the second and looked good at the start of the third but then Thiem was playing lights out.

I think Thiem's chances against Nadal are just as good as Djokovic. Both pretty low.
As I said: not lucky for the eventual winner. But they also stopped right after Thiem broke, so that was a momentum killer. It was a good time for Novak to get to stop. However, I really did think they'd be able to come back and at least finish that set, so having to play one and a half or even two and a half sets tomorrow is bad luck.

And I agree with you that Thiem is as rough an opponent as Djokovic, for the most part, if either were fresh.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions

Novak’s chances are significantly higher. His game is more of a problem for bull than thiems . Thiem needs to play constantly high risk tennis, which is harder than the game plan of Novak (when he’s on top of his game).
But because of these circumstances and the current form of Novak, it’s only theory talk and not likely.

Reactions: Denis and Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Indeed. Djokovic is lucky they stopped...he definitely needed a mental re-set. Of course, the winner of that match won't be lucky to have to have played likely a couple of hours or more the day before the final v. Rafa.

I was only able to watch match until thw beginning of 2nd set. I feel like Novak is extremely lucky they stopped today. I was very surprised to see that he managed somehow to pull off that 2nd set. Now chasing a break in the 3rd is not that bad.

It is indeed, very much needed mental reset for Novak. Terrible conditions for play today, it ruined the tennis and it all went down to managing the conditions. Anyone who ever played tennis hates the wind probably the most. You just can't enjoy it out there and play your game. Hopefully tomorrow somewhat better conditions.

Already cancelled all my plans and will be able to watch the part 2. Hope it will turn out to be epic like last year wimbledon SF.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I was only able to watch match until thw beginning of 2nd set. I feel like Novak is extremely lucky they stopped today. I was very surprised to see that he managed somehow to pull off that 2nd set. Now chasing a break in the 3rd is not that bad.

It is indeed, very much needed mental reset for Novak. Terrible conditions for play today, it ruined the tennis and it all went down to managing the conditions. Anyone who ever played tennis hates the wind probably the most. You just can't enjoy it out there and play your game. Hopefully tomorrow somewhat better conditions.

Already cancelled all my plans and will be able to watch the part 2. Hope it will turn out to be epic like last year wimbledon SF.

I lived on Lake Michigan during my formative tennis years and had to deal with wind like that all the time; esp. on courts behind the Museum Of Science & Industry! My HS team's home court was there which had winds even worse than we saw today! The ball could actually go off court at 90 degrees, but if hit into the wind might actually curve back inside the lines! I'm usually surprised when facilities are built "right on the water" like Monte Carlo! You have to expect winds periodically that will make playing competitive tennis almost impossible! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

Reactions: Denis

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

It is why it is important for Thiem to come out firing because Djokovic will for sure be mentally ready tomorrow.

This is where Nicolas Massu will help Thiem A LOT by making sure that his player will have the right mindset going in the match tomorrow.

Reactions: Moxie

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Novak’s chances are significantly higher. His game is more of a problem for bull than thiems . Thiem needs to play constantly high risk tennis, which is harder than the game plan of Novak (when he’s on top of his game).
But because of these circumstances and the current form of Novak, it’s only theory talk and not likely.

I agree if this was right after the AO final. But today was not encouraging and don't forget the Rome final. Thiem also clearly copes better with the conditions which may help him Sunday more than Novak.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I agree if this was right after the AO final. But today was not encouraging and don't forget the Rome final. Thiem also clearly copes better with the conditions which may help him Sunday more than Novak.
Yes I got that.
But you have to admit that this is not Novak’s limit, even less was in Rome. He is playing better than in Rome (1set for Novak) , that is why I give him still more chances.
Yeah still not encouraging. Let me some hope druže !

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Yes I got that.
But you have to admit that this is not Novak’s limit, even less was in Rome. He is playing better than in Rome (1set for Novak) , that is why I give him still more chances.
Yeah still not encouraging. Let me some hope druže !
Excuse me, please. I hope you don't mind me asking what that last word means.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Excuse me, please. I hope you don't mind me asking what that last word means.
No, please feel free to ask.
It just means “friend”.
Thought Denis understands, if not sorry for that.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
It just means “friend”.
It's o.k. Thank you very much for the information. He might do. I didn't & was being nosey butting into other people's conversations. I'm very sorry for being rude.

Reactions: Fiero425

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
It's o.k. Thank you very much for the information. He might do. I didn't & was being nosey butting into other people's conversations. I'm very sorry for being rude.
No you Are not, that is by far not what i think is rude.
You are extremely polite.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It just means “friend”.

Don't understand Serbian. Saw Djokovic play at the 2006 Dutch open on Dutch tv and been a fan ever since.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Don't understand Serbian. Saw Djokovic play at the 2006 Dutch open on Dutch tv and been a fan ever since.
Ok sorry for my misinterpretation, your forum name brought me to the assumption.
I am also no Serb.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I lived on Lake Michigan during my formative tennis years and had to deal with wind like that all the time; esp. on courts behind the Museum Of Science & Industry! My HS team's home court was there which had winds even worse than we saw today! The ball could actually go off court at 90 degrees, but if hit into the wind might actually curve back inside the lines! I'm usually surprised when facilities are built "right on the water" like Monte Carlo! You have to expect winds periodically that will make playing competitive tennis almost impossible! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I can imagine how wind blows up there on great lakes. I lived in the city where wind can blow really crazy, going up to 150 km/h couple of times during the winter time. On those days obviously we wouldn't even play and indoor courts were luxury. Then you play when wind is not so bad, but still blowing hard and from one side of the court you hit the ball like nuts and it still ends up inside on the other. Then you switch sides and you hit the ball, but it ends up straight to that metal fence with no bounce :wacko:

As you said, Monte Carlo is the pure example of the windy place. But is looks gorgeus there though.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is why it is important for Thiem to come out firing because Djokovic will for sure be mentally ready tomorrow.

This is where Nicolas Massu will help Thiem A LOT by making sure that his player will have the right mindset going in the match tomorrow.

Thiem is doing well with Massu looks like. One and half match away of getting a slam or nothing. I see Thiem becoming a real threat on hard courts too. He showed that last year in US Open in that ball crushing epic with Nadal.

I see a scenario tomorrow in which Thiem takes 3rd then drops his level a bit, Novak takes 4th and then 5th set they play equally good and a few points decide a winner. I know both of them won't have much rest as they wanted before meeting Nadal and here I speak about a proper day off, but these are all great athletes and when it comes to final they will use every bit of energy they have. Sure they are not rested same as in ideal schedule, but I'm sure they can still play a 4 hour match and probably more if needed.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don’t understand why they stop the match because those two drops of rain and the wind same like the previous match. Novak was losing and I’ve read he was the first one to decide to stop the match and to leave

Last edited: