2015 Cincinnati Masters Final: Djokovic v. Federer

Make your picks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
[split] If Federer Wins the US Open, should he retire?

Roger said during his speech he hopes to return for many more years to come to a raucous applause from the crowd.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:
Darth is probably off collecting his millions from the bookies :D

Darth would have had to bet millions to collect on this match

Not if he backed him outright from the beginning of the tournament or better still much earlier this year when the odds were way higher.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't do the online sports betting anymore. One of my checks from them bounced (big shock) so I'm not putting more money on there. I'd imagine Roger was considered the underdog today? It'd have been a good match to bet heavy on, the only problem is I usually stay away from betting on my favorites regardless of what sport it is.

Huge win for Roger today and a clutch tournament win all in all given that he now gets the #2 rank. Roger won't have to play Nole before the final and there is a 50-50 chance Murray will be on Djokovic's side and that'd be big for Fed's chances. Also I felt that Roger needed to stop the bleeding vs. Nole as a loss today would make it seem near impossible that Roger could beat Novak at the USO. So this was big for seeding purposes and a potential match vs. Nole in the USO final. Roger is not the favorite to win USO by any means but after today he has a decent chance going in similar to last year

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I like both Roger and Novak, but there was no question who was the better player today. Clearly fast hards are Fed's best surface, and he showed everyone how it's done. Improving his game and adding new tactics at 34! Not sure what's up with Nole, but I suspect a combination of the remnants from the bad elbow (and changed, less effective serve) plus possibly whatever stomach/abdominal issue he had yesterday. But even if he were in better form (physically and mentally) I'm not sure it would've made a difference given Fed's superb play.

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Front242 said:
lindseywagners said:
tented said:
They are surprising numbers considering how solid Novak generally is on hards. He's won the AO, IW, Miami, Rogers Cup, Shanghai, WTF, Dubai, Bercy, etc., but not Cincy and only 1 USO.

I think the heat in Cincy and New York gets to Novak. He said something the other day about it being tough. I know it's hot in other places as well, but that late summer heat and humidity in the Northeastern US can be brutal.

True but nothing like Melbourne where he's the king so I doubt it's the main reason for him not doing as well. It's the faster surface.
I think it's a combination of surface and conditions. In Australia the top players mostly play night matches in the second week so in the matches that matter the heat isn't too much of a factor. Also wind often isn't an issue there, whereas on the US summer HCs it regularly can be. A combination of heat and wind definitely aren't favorable conditions for Novak.

But I also think the surface is the more important reason. Those rather fast, medium to high bouncing HCs seem to have become Novak's worst surface since 2013. They don't help his offensive game nearly as much as grass does, where he scores a lot of free points on serve and can play solid first strike tennis and hurt him on the defensive side as opponents have a significantly easier time staying on the offense and hitting through him with both serves and ground strokes than on slow HCs or clay.

For Roger Dubai and Cincinnati are the tournaments where he definitely still has an edge on Novak as the surface suits him much more. With Montreal/Toronto and Shanghai it's hard to say as they haven't played many matches there. Both Andy and Novak winning below 30% of the percent on Roger's second serves indicate that at least during the day those are really tough to handle on that court.

In general the last two weeks weren't bad for Novak in my opinion. He reached both finals being in quite mediocre form and was able to raise his level a bit and, apart from the game where he broke himself with three double faults, compete well in these matches. With the surface in New York suiting him a little more and playing best-of-five also probably being more in his favour against Andy and Roger I still like Novak's chances for the US Open if he can improve his form during the next two weeks.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Novak is now:

- 0-5 in Cincy finals
- 0-10 in sets in Cincy finals
- 1-9 in Cincy/USO finals

I heard them give that stat on ESPN and my jaw dropped. I remember the final a few years ago where Fed clocked him 6-1 in the first set and I thought Nole won the 2nd set in a tie-breaker but when I looked it I saw he'd lost the breaker and lost in straight sets. Maybe Cinci is his Monte Carlo & Rome.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Busted said:
tented said:
Novak is now:

- 0-5 in Cincy finals

I heard them give that stat on ESPN and my jaw dropped. I remember the final a few years ago where Fed clocked him 6-1 in the first set and I thought Nole won the 2nd set in a tie-breaker but when I looked it I saw he'd lost the breaker and lost in straight sets. Maybe Cinci is his Monte Carlo & Rome.

It was actually 6-0 :cool:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Busted said:
tented said:
Novak is now:

- 0-5 in Cincy finals

Actually, it was 6-0, 7-6.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
Busted said:
tented said:
Novak is now:

- 0-5 in Cincy finals

It was actually 6-0 :cool:

And more than likely Fed will continue to have his own deficiency trying to win those clay court events as times slides further and further with the chances! I'll bet Nole gets it done within 2 years; owning all the events sooner or later! ;-)

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The anti-Djokovic guys need SOMETHING to fall back on in those inevitable GOAT debates.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I am positive there will be some of those half volley service returns from Roger at the Open. I guess he is figuring second serve is the shortest ball he is going to get from some guys out there...

I loved the look on Becker's face when Fed did that in the tie-breaker. :snicker You know Boris had been scoping Roger's other matches and saw him doing it against lesser ranked guys - and Murray - but he probably didn't think Roger would have the balls to do it again Nole. Now if they both get to the US Open final - let see how they counter it. Does Nole go all Lendl and aim for Roger's head - and piss of the pro-Fed crowd? He could end up with another Andy Roddick booing sitch on his hands - and Nole hates when that NYC crowd gets on his case.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Busted said:
1972Murat said:
I am positive there will be some of those half volley service returns from Roger at the Open. I guess he is figuring second serve is the shortest ball he is going to get from some guys out there...

I loved the look on Becker's face when Fed did that in the tie-breaker. :snicker You know Boris had been scoping Roger's other matches and saw him doing it against lesser ranked guys - and Murray - but he probably didn't think Roger would have the balls to do it again Nole. Now if they both get to the US Open final - let see how they counter it. Does Nole go all Lendl and aim for Roger's head - and piss of the pro-Fed crowd? He could end up with another Andy Roddick booing sitch on his hands - and Nole hates when that NYC crowd gets on his case.

That is what people keep thinking would happen; "beanball tennis!" When I have the nerve to question Serena's ability to "tame" the relentless attack of Martina Navratilova in her prime, they always seem to "go there;" "target on her head!" That is so ridiculous because she had to deal with Graf and Mandlikova who could hit the ball every bit as hard and quick in their day! If Serena is so great then and now, why is she going 3 sets in just about every match she plays; even though winning in the end? Again, I call it gutless of the other players who can't seem to finish her off no matter how much of a lead they have! It's hard to take these people seriously when they still try to make a rivalry of Williams to Sharapova; what a joke! :cover :puzzled :nono :angel:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
From Twitter

Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Runner-up
Winner
Runner-up
Runner-up
Djokovic's last 10 big tournaments

There's no denying who is number one but Federer was amazing today. Djokovic will give his answer at the USO I'm sure!

Looks like your twitter friends forgot to account the Dubai Loss. :nono

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Kirijax said:
From Twitter

Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Runner-up
Winner
Runner-up
Runner-up

There's no denying who is number one but Federer was amazing today. Djokovic will give his answer at the USO I'm sure!

Other players would "kill" to have Nole's season! If he had hung it up after Wimbledon, he's still done twice as much as any other player; including the other elites! :p :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kirijax said:
From Twitter

Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Runner-up
Winner
Runner-up
Runner-up

Are you not overreacting by calling Dubai a "big" tournament? :snicker

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kirijax said:
From Twitter

Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Winner
Runner-up
Winner
Runner-up
Runner-up

That's "just" a 500. ;)

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
tented said:
Front242 said:
lindseywagners said:
I think the heat in Cincy and New York gets to Novak. He said something the other day about it being tough. I know it's hot in other places as well, but that late summer heat and humidity in the Northeastern US can be brutal.

True but nothing like Melbourne where he's the king so I doubt it's the main reason for him not doing as well. It's the faster surface.

Miami can also be super hot & humid.

Miami is in the spring though, so I don't think the severity wouldn't be as harsh. Another commenter noted the heat and humidity in Australia. Has anyone experienced NY, Miami, and Australia during the times that these tournaments are being played?

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
Front242 said:
lindseywagners said:
tented said:
They are surprising numbers considering how solid Novak generally is on hards. He's won the AO, IW, Miami, Rogers Cup, Shanghai, WTF, Dubai, Bercy, etc., but not Cincy and only 1 USO.

You're probably right. I've been to NYC but want to go to Melbourne someday. Have you experienced both? If so, how would you compare them?

Also, re: surfaces, is this accurate?

Slow: Melbourne, IW, Miami (which is the slowest?)
Fast: Dubai, Montreal, Cincy, NY (which is the fastest?)

What about the others? I'm assuming indoors are faster maybe than the "fast" ones above.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
lindseywagners said:
Front242 said:
lindseywagners said:

You're probably right. I've been to NYC but want to go to Melbourne someday. Have you experienced both? If so, how would you compare them?

Also, re: surfaces, is this accurate?

Slow: Melbourne, IW, Miami (which is the slowest?)
Fast: Dubai, Montreal, Cincy, NY (which is the fastest?)

What about the others? I'm assuming indoors are faster maybe than the "fast" ones above.

Cincy is definitely the fastest. No doubt about it.

Actually, even the indoor courts have been slowed down these days. They are not necessarily faster than the outdoor courts.