Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: French open semis: Nadal vs Murray

Denisovich said:
federberg said:
Denisovich said:
federberg said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Remember all those matches Nadal tanked in his career?

Agreed. In any case both Rafa and Roger are opportunists of the highest order. There's always the chance that Novak could break his leg before the final. :snigger You'll only get the W if you're there!

You're living in the past buddy. Nadal has lost the 4 most recent matches against Novak. He is currently serving like Sara Erani and the rest of his game is not great either. He does not want to be the principal attendant to Novak's winning ceremony on Sunday if Novak makes the final.

I am not saying he will tank the match, I just don't want him to have the option btw.

My view is that both Roger and Rafa will ALWAYS want to get to the final no matter who they're playing (even if they secretly think they might lose). You never know what could happen to swing things in your favour, your opponent might get injured and that gets you the title. Bottom line you have to be in it to win it.

As for who I think would win in a Rafa v Novak final this year? I'm going for Novak in either 3 or 4 sets with a high degree of conviction :cool:

I get that. And yeah, Roger definitely made his point about that at RG 2011... Just don't want the option for Rafa to be on the table.

I don't follow the logic. Why would tanking and losing to Murray in a semi be more acceptable to Nadal than losing to Djokovic in a final?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Denisovich said:
I hope they schedule this match first, so Nadal doesn't have the option of tanking the match if he knows Novak won the first semi.

Denis, you know that old saying... "People who live in a glass house shouldn't throw stones." You don't want folks bringing up all the times Nole feigned an injury, or breathing problem or contact lens issue do you? :nono

glasshouse.gif

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

britbox said:
Denisovich said:
federberg said:
Denisovich said:
federberg said:
Agreed. In any case both Rafa and Roger are opportunists of the highest order. There's always the chance that Novak could break his leg before the final. :snigger You'll only get the W if you're there!

You're living in the past buddy. Nadal has lost the 4 most recent matches against Novak. He is currently serving like Sara Erani and the rest of his game is not great either. He does not want to be the principal attendant to Novak's winning ceremony on Sunday if Novak makes the final.

I am not saying he will tank the match, I just don't want him to have the option btw.

My view is that both Roger and Rafa will ALWAYS want to get to the final no matter who they're playing (even if they secretly think they might lose). You never know what could happen to swing things in your favour, your opponent might get injured and that gets you the title. Bottom line you have to be in it to win it.

As for who I think would win in a Rafa v Novak final this year? I'm going for Novak in either 3 or 4 sets with a high degree of conviction :cool:

I get that. And yeah, Roger definitely made his point about that at RG 2011... Just don't want the option for Rafa to be on the table.

I don't follow the logic. Why would tanking and losing to Murray in a semi be more acceptable to Nadal than losing to Djokovic in a final?

It's not. My point exactly. I'm pretty sure Rafa would rather not face Novak in the final. Let's just hope they schedule this match first.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The naive woman I am voted for Andy in 5....

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

nehmeth said:
isabelle said:
The naive woman I am voted for Andy in 5....

Your post will bring a smile to Iona's heart.

:)

Iona can be proud of her champ...the way he won yesterday was a proof of greatness and willingness (sorry for awful Paris' s crowd)

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Denisovich said:

Except Nadal does not have the option to tank the match because it's not something he'd even consider. Purposely losing a grand slam semi final? Does that really sound like an option Nadal has?

Also, while I wouldn't favor him in the final, I'll remind you that Nadal is a competitor, the world number 1, the defending champion, a 13 time grand slam winner, and an 8 time French Open champion, so in his mind, he probably thinks he actually has a chance against Novak, because guess what, he does.

You think Nadal will prefer purposely losing to Murray than giving it his all against Novak, even if it's in a losing effort? In that case, you don't understand the mindset of a champion.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Denisovich said:

Except Nadal does not have the option to tank the match because it's not something he'd even consider. Purposely losing a grand slam semi final? Does that really sound like an option Nadal has?

Also, while I wouldn't favor him in the final, I'll remind you that Nadal is a competitor, the world number 1, the defending champion, a 13 time grand slam winner, and an 8 time French Open champion, so in his mind, he probably thinks he actually has a chance against Novak, because guess what, he does.

You think Nadal will prefer purposely losing to Murray than giving it his all against Novak, even if it's in a losing effort? In that case, you don't understand the mindset of a champion.

I hope and think you're right. As I said, I don't want the option to be there in the first place. I want this Nadal - Djokovic final badly.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Denisovich said:
I hope they schedule this match first, so Nadal doesn't have the option of tanking the match if he knows Novak won the first semi.

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but I'm sure you've been taken to task over this, but I can't not reply, either.

You don't understand Rafa at all to make this comment. He would NEVER tank a GS semifinal match in order not to face Novak -- or anyone.

Did he tank in Wimbledon '06 or '07 so he wouldn't have to face Roger? No. Did he tank any of the times he had to face Roger on an indoor hard-court? No. Has he ever tanked in any match prior to having to face Novak, at any tournament, in any year, on any surface? No.

Tanking is an alien concept to a 13-time Major champion. It's only something his detractors think about. His fans know him better.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions

This is ridiculous. First of all I've never known rafa to tank a match. Second of all I don't care how bad he's playing right now. This is French open. His home turf. He's won it 8 times and will likely win a few more. That said I still give him the edge to win it regardless of djokovics level. Djokovic has yet to win this and most prove he can. So IMO Rafa has a great chance to win. Of course I want djokovic to win.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

^^ All the better, all the better. I'd hate to see Nadal lose if Djokovic wins Friday. My concern is for the final I want to happen, which depends more on the Gulbis - Djokovic match anyways.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

What if Murray and Nadal both want to tank for fear of potentially facing Gulbis in the final?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Denisovich said:
^^ All the better, all the better. I'd hate to see Nadal lose if Djokovic wins Friday. My concern is for the final I want to happen, which depends more on the Gulbis - Djokovic match anyways.

I don't know if you're trolling or you seriously believe Rafa would tank. Just out of curiosity what chances do you give Rafa in a Nadal - Nole final? And do you think Rafa would look at that final as though he has no chance? We need to remember a few things; 8 RG's, 5-0 vs. Nole at RG, and maybe most relevant is that Nole has struggled badly (to put it mildly) at the business end of slams since the start of 2012. Nole will have to show up and play well.

It's not like this is something ridiculous like a 1 out of 100 match and even if it was a competitor like Rafa would still set it up to take his chances.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:

I don't know if you're trolling or you seriously believe Rafa would tank. Just out of curiosity what chances do you give Rafa in a Nadal - Nole final? And do you think Rafa would look at that final as though he has no chance? We need to remember a few things; 8 RG's, 5-0 vs. Nole at RG, and maybe most relevant is that Nole has struggled badly (to put it mildly) at the business end of slams since the start of 2012. Nole will have to show up and play well.

It's not like this is something ridiculous like a 1 out of 100 match and even if it was a competitor like Rafa would still set it up to take his chances.

I'd give him 25% chance at this point. But I want Novak to beat the king of clay on his home turf at RG. Add to that that I don't want to see a Murray - Djokovic match.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:

pretty much what i said. this is still rafas slam to lose. djokovic can beat him but will he?.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Denisovich said:
DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:

I'd give him 25% chance at this point. But I want Novak to beat the king of clay on his home turf at RG. Add to that that I don't want to see a Murray - Djokovic match.

If the Nole we've seen since AO shows up then I think that's a reasonable estimate. If the Nole we've seen at slam semis/finals the past 1.5 years shows up then Rafa almost definitely wins. Even if Rafa similarly gave himself a 25% chance to win (I'm sure it's much higher in his mind) do you think he'd tank the semi? He'd be as dumb as Ferrer to do such a thing.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Denisovich said:
britbox said:
Denisovich said:
federberg said:
Denisovich said:

It's not. My point exactly. I'm pretty sure Rafa would rather not face Novak in the final. Let's just hope they schedule this match first.

Denisovich, are you acting up again..Riddle me this, Who is the bigger Rafa hater, you or your good buddy Front:lolz:

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:
DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:

If the Nole we've seen since AO shows up then I think that's a reasonable estimate. If the Nole we've seen at slam semis/finals the past 1.5 years shows up then Rafa almost definitely wins. Even if Rafa similarly gave himself a 25% chance to win (I'm sure it's much higher in his mind) do you think he'd tank the semi? He'd be as dumb as Ferrer to do such a thing.

Like I said, probably not. Maybe the Ferrer match instilled some fears with me. I just didn't want the option to be on the table.

Unfortunately, it is:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/scores/schedule/index.html

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Denisovich said:
DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:
DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:

Like I said, probably not. Maybe the Ferrer match instilled some fears with me. I just didn't want the option to be on the table.

Unfortunately, it is:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/scores/schedule/index.html

Schedule, schmedule. You're still not getting it. There is no option. You're making that up.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

For me the probabilities are very dependent on the weather on the day. If it's a sunny day I'll say 55% chance of Novak winning. A cold wet day and I'll move that up to about 65%