WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This must be heartbreaking for Maria.How long can she go on losing in finals,and she is not getting any younger.The match that disappointed me the most was the semi at RG that she lost that year.
Well she did played well to make the final, so she can take positives, especially after going out in the 1st rd at Wimbledon this year, her records in SF and F sad to say is dismal. Again a SF at RG I was not surprised, she is a good athlete, though at times in her shot selections at pressure times in a match, is questionable, she crumbles under pressure
BTW that was Sakkari's 6th final in a row she has lost, sad to say

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This must be heartbreaking for Maria.How long can she go on losing in finals,and she is not getting any younger.The match that disappointed me the most was the semi at RG that she lost that year.
Good point Tossip..Did you listen to her concession speech? The lady has a ton of class and I will continue to root for her to find a way to overcome those finals demons. If she can find a way to harness her competitive energy level and focus like she did versus Jess P she will have happiness on Sunday. Coco said that Maria is a nicer person even better than the one that is being featured on Netflix..Great winners speech by CoCo and hopefully she can build on THIS good title

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well she did played well to make the final, so she can take positives, especially after going out in the 1st rd at Wimbledon this year, her records in SF and F sad to say is dismal. Again a SF at RG I was not surprised, she is a good athlete, though at times in her shot selections at pressure times in a match, is questionable, she crumbles under pressure
BTW that was Sakkari's 6th final in a row she has lost, sad to say
I feel bad for Maria..her UFEs especially her service let her down. Too many double faults. Coco was the mentally tough girl today .

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel bad for Maria..her UFEs especially her service let her down. Too many double faults. Coco was the mentally tough girl today .
May I say the 2nd set by both players were poor, it was a very hot day, both players should have shortened the points, UFE at the wrong times, Maria broke and had her chances in the 2nd set to go on and win, then UFE at the wrong time brought her undone and serve, lets see how she performs at Montreal, she did play well to reach the final at Washington,

Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good point Tossip..Did you listen to her concession speech? The lady has a ton of class and I will continue to root for her to find a way to overcome those finals demons. If she can find a way to harness her competitive energy level and focus like she did versus Jess P she will have happiness on Sunday. Coco said that Maria is a nicer person even better than the one that is being featured on Netflix..Great winners speech by CoCo and hopefully she can build on THIS good title
I have always liked Maria,and hope she gets it together.She deserves a meaty win like a 1000s or a slam especially RG.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
May I say the 2nd set by both players were poor, it was a very hot day, both players should have shortened the points, UFE at the wrong times, Maria broke and had her chances in the 2nd set to go on and win, then UFE at the wrong time brought her undone and serve, lets see how she performs at Montreal, she did play well to reach the final at Washington,
She might be hurting right now..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She might be hurting right now..
Well Maria has to take the 'positives' out of the tournament she played well to get to the final, yes losing 6 finals in a row isnt a great record. In her RU speech she gave credit to her coach, Tom Hill, they appear to have a good relationship, which is most important, though a coach can only do so much, it is up to the player to perform on the court, especially in a final.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff will extend coaching partnership with Brad Gilbert ( source The Tennis Letter)

" We were just trying it this week, but obviously, I think the way it's been going, we are going to continue, I'm thinking it's pretty obvious the difference he and Pere made in a short amount of time".

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Coco Gauff will extend coaching partnership with Brad Gilbert ( source The Tennis Letter)

" We were just trying it this week, but obviously, I think the way it's been going, we are going to continue, I'm thinking it's pretty obvious the difference he and Pere made in a short amount of time".
I heard it's been extended for 3 weeks to cover Canada and Cincy

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's see how Coco fares against a few of the Big 3 and Ons..
I was hoping that Brad Gilbert would be more of a permanent coach, on her team, than just for these 2 tournaments, who knows maybe after Montreal and Cinncy Coco may extend the arrangement.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
What about the Open?
This is strictly on a trial basis. The first week was successful in D.C. so they have extended him to cover Canada and Cinci. I'm sure they will revaluate the results of those 2 tournaments and decide on a course of action on a permanent basis. Something to keep in mind regarding the Open and other majors. BG has contractual obligations w/ ESPN to do coverage. I'm sure Coco and her team would be willing to work around his media obligation should they choose to extend him a more permanent offer.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is strictly on a trial basis. The first week was successful in D.C. so they have extended him to cover Canada and Cinci. I'm sure they will revaluate the results of those 2 tournaments and decide on a course of action on a permanent basis. Something to keep in mind regarding the Open and other majors. BG has contractual obligations w/ ESPN to do coverage. I'm sure Coco and her team would be willing to work around his media obligation should they choose to extend him a more permanent offer.
@kskate2 You are so Bright and Wise .. you're like a female TF Yoda ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Top Ten Monday 7th August,

1. Swiatek
2. Sabalenka
3. Pegula ( +1)
4. Rybakina (-1)
5. Jabeur
6. Garcia
7. Gauff
8. Sakkari (+ 1)
9. Kivitova (-1)
10 Vondrousova

Top Movers of the week,
No 84 N. Hibino +52 Hibino won the singles tournament in Prague
No 80 T.Korpatsch + 19
No 52 L. Noskova +19
No 60 A.Cornet +5

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gauff and Pegula plan to scale back amount of doubles tournaments they play, no plans to split despite rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.