WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
First SF between Pegula v Sakkari has just started, we all know what happens to Sakkari when she makes a SF? can she turn this stat around and win today

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jess Pegula down 6-3, 4-1 and looking done in this SF against Sakkari, reels off 5 straight games to win the 2nd set 64
Sakkari converts her 4th BP to lead 4-2 in 3rd set
Sakkari saves a BP now to lead 5-2 in the 3rd set

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Now if she can avoid the Keli voodoo's dolls she may win the title.. jajaja
Well Maria has only 1 title to her name, we shall see, next SF is defending champion Samsonova who has gone quietly through the draw, with good results and Coco Gauff who had a impressive win over Bencic in the QF yesterday

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Maria has only 1 title to her name, we shall see, next SF is defending champion Samsonova who has gone quietly through the draw, with good results and Coco Gauff who had a impressive win over Bencic in the QF yesterday
Don't underestimate the power of Keli ..once she has dub a player as a scrub it's hard for them to fight back from that label

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Coco Gauff continuing her good form defeating the defending champion L.Samsonova 63 63 to advance to the Citi DC Open final where she will be bidding for her 4th career title and will play Maria Sakkari for the title!

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Great job by Coco reaching the final. I can definitely see the Brad affect. She's more aggressive. Still a little wild on that FH but it is getting better. More time w/ the new coaches should iron that out. Despite Goddess leading the h2h 4-1, Coco will have a chance tomorrow. BG will give her the game plan, let's see if she executes.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Jess Pegula down 6-3, 4-1 and looking done in this SF against Sakkari, reels off 5 straight games to win the 2nd set 64
Sakkari converts her 4th BP to lead 4-2 in 3rd set
Sakkari saves a BP now to lead 5-2 in the 3rd set
Great for Goddess to get that monkey off her back this year. Jess has her own demons. She consistently underperforms in the SF of tour events and the QF of the slams. I like David Witt, but it's time to add someone else to her team that can take her to the next level. Unless she's content hovering around the top 6 w/o any big results to show for it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great job by Coco reaching the final. I can definitely see the Brad affect. She's more aggressive. Still a little wild on that FH but it is getting better. More time w/ the new coaches should iron that out. Despite Goddess leading the h2h 4-1, Coco will have a chance tomorrow. BG will give her the game plan, let's see if she executes.
Well I dont expect the FH to get better in a few days, since Brad has come on board, though the one thing I have noticed is her footwork on her fhand wing is better, she is getting there with time, before she was late and would just 'swap/swipe at the fhand,, Coco is a good athlete she really showed that in her match against Bencic in the QF

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great for Goddess to get that monkey off her back this year. Jess has her own demons. She consistently underperforms in the SF of tour events and the QF of the slams. I like David Witt, but it's time to add someone else to her team that can take her to the next level. Unless she's content hovering around the top 6 w/o any big results to show for it.
Agree, Jess and David appear to have a good relationship, though when she gets to the 'business end' of a tournament she does under preform?
Jess has to make her mind up to be content with getting to QF or SF, with points, or like you suggested hiring another coach to take her to the next level.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I sometimes used to dislike him when he was with Venus, especially at the US open he used to run his mouth a lot when speaking with Pam.He was ok with Vee,they won Wimbledon ,and end of year title together.I think it's Jess who is not exactly an athlete, today she was wilting in the heat.She is very hardworking,and hopefully one day the draw will magically open for her.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sunday 6th August, Citi DC Open Tournament

Ladies Final,
Not before 2.30pm local time,

Coco Gauff (3) vs Maria Sakkari (4) H2H Sakkari 4-1 most recent Rome round of 16 2022,
Gauff is seeking her 4th career title, while Sakkari is seeking her 2nd career title.
Neither player has ever won a 500- level or greater event before.

• Wow

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Ladies Final,

Coco Gauff (3) vs Maria Sakkari (4) H2H Sakkari 4-1 most recent Rome round of 16 2022,
Gauff is seeking her 4th career title, while Sakkari is seeking her 2nd career title.
This should be a good one. I will have my popcorn ready!

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Ladies Final,

@kskate2 Miss Keli who ya got in this one .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
@kskate2 Miss Keli who ya got in this one .
I won't be around to watch it, but Coco will have her chances. I don't trust Goddess to blow her away today. Look what happened yesterday. She was bossing Jess, got tight near the finish line and had to play another set. Opportunities will be had, will Coco take them?

Status
Not open for further replies.