WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I really hope Ash makes a comeback (and Naomi returns to form), so we can finally get the answer about whether Iga is really this good or if she is benefitting from a very weak era of women's tennis. Jessica Pegula and Caroline Garcia are just placeholders in the Top 5.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA has just issued a statement on Post-Match handshakes, this followed the non hand shake from Svitolina in her match against Azarenka.
Azarenka was booed off the court after the match, she later said in her presser she understood why Svitolina did not shake her hand and understood her stance, as I said after the match, sad to see politics is still in our sport.
This is the statement from the WTA,

"Following the unfortunate circumstances and misunderstanding in yesterday's match at Wimbledon ( along with other matches in the past several weeks), the WTA would like to provide clarity around post-match handshakes.
Due to the ongoing reprehensible war, the WTA respects in foregoing the tradition of shaking opponent's hands ( from Russia and Belarus) at the end of a match, as this is a personal decision. We have some of the best fans in the world and are grateful for their passion and dedication, and we thank them for their understanding and respect for athletes".

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA has just issued a statement on Post-Match handshakes, this followed the non hand shake from Svitolina in her match against Azarenka.
Azarenka was booed off the court after the match, she later said in her presser she understood why Svitolina did not shake her hand and understood her stance, as I said after the match, sad to see politics is still in our sport.
This is the statement from the WTA,

"Following the unfortunate circumstances and misunderstanding in yesterday's match at Wimbledon ( along with other matches in the past several weeks), the WTA would like to provide clarity around post-match handshakes.
Due to the ongoing reprehensible war, the WTA respects in foregoing the tradition of shaking opponent's hands ( from Russia and Belarus) at the end of a match, as this is a personal decision. We have some of the best fans in the world and are grateful for their passion and dedication, and we thank them for their understanding and respect for athletes".
Totally unnecessary statement, not sure what they’ll achieve. The Wimbledon fans are like fans everywhere, they get things wrong occasionally…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Totally unnecessary statement, not sure what they’ll achieve. The Wimbledon fans are like fans everywhere, they get things wrong occasionally…
Well this wasnt the first match in the WTA of late at Wimbledon regarding the non hand shake, so I think they were forced in ways to issue a statement, especially after the Azarenka v Svitolina match, some fans unaware of the stance of the players of Ukraine.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well this wasnt the first match in the WTA of late at Wimbledon regarding the non hand shake, so I think they were forced in ways to issue a statement, especially after the Azarenka v Svitolina match, some fans unaware of the stance of the players of Ukraine.
Oh I agree, although they weren’t forced to make a statement, they decided to. Fans are aware of Svitolina’s position and support it. Maybe they booed because after their previous match Azerenko stood at the net trying to force the handshake and upset Svits?

Who knows? Wimbledon didn’t need to comment. Fans used to boo McEnroe. Fans are entitled to boo. Wimbledon should let fans enjoy themselves and not feel a need to comment, or lecture them…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh I agree, although they weren’t forced to make a statement, they decided to. Fans are aware of Svitolina’s position and support it. Maybe they booed because after their previous match Azerenko stood at the net trying to force the handshake and upset Svits?

Who knows? Wimbledon didn’t need to comment. Fans used to boo McEnroe. Fans are entitled to boo. Wimbledon should let fans enjoy themselves and not feel a need to comment, or lecture them…
It was the WTA that made the statement,

I am not a fan of booing a player, fans at times appear to be ignorant of rules and circumstances of players on court, that goes for all round the world. To me the French are the worst in general, though I must say I was very angry the way fans at the AO booed Rafa in that final against Warwinka in 2014,, I was at Rafa's warm up, he stopped abruptly in his warm up, on his serve and I knew then there was something wrong. To me it is sad politics play a part in our sport,. I fully understand and support the people of Ukraine, I cannot imagine the suffering they are going through.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It was the WTA that made the statement,

I am not a fan of booing a player, fans at times appear to be ignorant of rules and circumstances of players on court, that goes for all round the world. To me the French are the worst in general, though I must say I was very angry the way fans at the AO booed Rafa in that final against Warwinka in 2014,, I was at Rafa's warm up, he stopped abruptly in his warm up, on his serve and I knew then there was something wrong. To me it is sad politics play a part in our sport,. I fully understand and support the people of Ukraine, I cannot imagine the suffering they are going through.
Thanks for correcting that - I thought it was Wimbledon. Good post too!

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Why is Jabeur not being questioned about the disturbances that are happening in her country.The mass atrocities perpetrated against immigrants,from rape,killings and incarceration almost like the gestapo.I feel people should demonstrate at her games.She appears to be sweet and all,but I always feel it's a facade to be accepted by the mainstream.What is happening is real bad,as bad as Svitolina country.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Womens Doubles SFs are set at Wimbledon,

Mertens/Hunter (3) vs Zhang/ Dolehide (16)

Skycova/ Hsieh vs Sorribes Tormo/ Bouzka

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Venus Williams has received a WC into Montreal next month, she will join Caroline Wozniacki who also received a WC, making her comeback to tennis
There are 3 more wild cars which will be allocated to Canadian players closer to the tournament

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Ladies Doubles Final is set, ( should be a very well contested final )

S.Hunter/E.Mertens (3) vs SW.Hsieh/ B. Strycova

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.