Where does Andy Murray go from here?

What will Andy Murray do in the rest of his career?

• Total voters

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
Seems highly unlikely (rest of the team too weak), BUT it would be perfect. Remember - one-time-slam winner, perennial third wheel, Novak D. won DC in 2010 ;)

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
Seems highly unlikely (rest of the team too weak), BUT it would be perfect. Remember - one-time-slam winner, perennial third wheel, Novak D. won DC in 2010 ;)
Considering who else is in the semi finals it doesn't seem unlikely at all to me. Andy should score two points in singles against any of the remaining teams. Against Australia it will probably come down to the doubles where GB will be the slight favorite in my opinion and against Argentina (would be played at home) or Belgium they also should have the advantage in doubles and even a win in the match of the No 2s of both teams wouldn't be out of the question.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
The way he's played this year, he's perhaps "unlucky" not to have won a slam even though it's just because he's been second best when he came up against Djokovic and Federer.

I think the only way he'll sit at #1 will be if Djokovic has a 2-3 month injury absence or something. It's not impossible.

But I voted for the second option - he should win more slams. Federer will eventually drop away before Nole and Andy, and Nole can't win every major. Stan will continue to be a wildcard but otherwise I don't see the likes of Nishikori, Raonic, Dimitrov crashing the party before Andy can get his hand on a few more trophies.

This loss to Anderson was just 'one of them'. Kevin played the match of his life and Andy didn't quite have the answer this time. After last year, if Andy can lead GB to the Davis Cup and perform well at the remaining MS and in London, it is a good platform to compete again for slams next year, having won a couple of Masters, broken his losing streak to Nole and found his feet at last on the clay.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Where does Murray go from here? Rehab probably to wash his mouth out. This is why people dislike him. Embarrassing. And the ball boys behind look embarrassed too.

https://vid.me/4QDU

dante1976

Futures Player
Reactions
Front242 said:
Where does Murray go from here? Rehab probably to wash his mouth out. This is why people dislike him. Embarrassing. And the ball boys behind look embarrassed too.

That's hilarious ;) he used F word more times than average episode of south park :)

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
dante1976 said:
Front242 said:

That's hilarious ;) he used F word more times than average episode of south park :)

Is it bad that I like Andy more now?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
dante1976 said:
Front242 said:

It is hilarious and sad at the same time. What kind of education did he get?? If you are pissed off and you want to vent, use dammit or something, not the F word in front of the whole world.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
dante1976 said:
Front242 said:

It is hilarious and sad at the same time. What kind of education did he get?? If you are pissed off and you want to vent, use dammit or something, not the F word in front of the whole world.

At least he doesn't abuse ball girls. :snicker

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kirijax said:
herios said:
dante1976 said:

At least he doesn't abuse ball girls. :snicker

As soon as Andy runs for Deacon or something, I guess I will be offended, but last time I checked he is just an athlete.

If there is anyone to "blame", it's the ITF for not enforcing/limiting profanity, if that is how fans want the sport. Andy's just frustrated and just an athlete.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
...and Scottish

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Haha, we should be praising him for not dropping some c-bombs.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes. Andy only sledges himself. He doesn't involve others around him.

That's Kim's job.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Andy can win the trophy for UK this year, he will have a DC (not dead cat, but davis cup) bounce next year and will win a GS (just like Fed about to win one today).

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
If Andy can win the trophy for UK this year, he will have a DC (not dead cat, but davis cup) bounce next year and will win a GS (just like Fed about to win one today).

I doubt it.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
One or two more majors. Possibly a Davis cup, but it's gotta happen this year. A YEC. Several more masters 1000's. Never number one unless Djokovic gets injured. He'll do allright for himself. :)

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
herios said:
dante1976 said:
Front242 said:

But if you want to vent you don't care about playing mr nice guy. You're angry - you want to vent! :) Besides, is there anybody out there anyway that is still offended when he hears the F word? It's not like we've never heard the word before. In fact, it's become the most important word in the English language as everyone's favorite guru already told us years ago! :clap

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D7rWLzloOI[/video]

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
To me, it's looking like Andy's slams were more about the work ethic/mentality of Ivan Lendl these days. Murray just is not at the same level without him.

Speaking of which, is Lendl done coaching, or is he waiting for the right match? I know Berdych reached out to him, and he passed, but did he close the door on coaching, or just on coaching Tomas? I'd think someone like Vesely would really benefit from working with Ivan.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Kieran said:
He needs a kick in the kilt. That's where he should begin. Then he should beg Lendl to either come back, or to recommend somebody useful to warm the seats in his players box...

Mauresmo has nothing to do with his loss yesterday. It is all Andy's undoing. Anderson raised his level and matched Andy, who could not take it to another level.

Mauresmo had nothing to do with his loss to Kevin, but Mauresmo has also failed to take him to the level he was at when working with Lendl, or take him in a successful (as in Slam winning) new direction. To be honest, I think it's a bad match at this point.

I can also see Amelie wanted to stay home with her child, and not returning to coaching Andy.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Moose said:
herios said:
Kieran said:
He needs a kick in the kilt. That's where he should begin. Then he should beg Lendl to either come back, or to recommend somebody useful to warm the seats in his players box...

Mauresmo has nothing to do with his loss yesterday. It is all Andy's undoing. Anderson raised his level and matched Andy, who could not take it to another level.

Mauresmo had nothing to do with his loss to Kevin, but Mauresmo has also failed to take him to the level he was at when working with Lendl, or take him in a successful (as in Slam winning) new direction. To be honest, I think it's a bad match at this point.

I can also see Amelie wanted to stay home with her child, and not returning to coaching Andy.
I'm not convinced. Blaming the coach is often the easy way out imo. It's sorta a Mourinho thing. As long as you win you are "the special one" but lose a few matches and everyone is shouting "he's got to go!" Murray is having a good season in my opinion. Certainly better than in 2014. He can't get past Federer and Djokovic in the majors, but if he would everyone would be shouting that Edberg and Becker need to go. ;) A coach can only contribute to get the best out of his or her player imo. But whether that will result in wins against other greats who's coaches have contributed into getting the best out of them is in the lap of the gods.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Murray is having a good season in my opinion.

Murray would be having a good season if his name was Grigor Dimitrov. But his name is Andy Murray.