US Politics Thread

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm glad you recognised my caution in bringing up the Nazis. While I'm very concerned about some of the things that were said in the campaign, it would be too hysterical to make that association at this stage in the game. At the very least we need to see what the President elect does before any judgements can be made. For me the issue is more about the erosion of the institutions we can trust. While I'm a bit more sceptical about the whole issue of media bias in the recent election, my position has been more about outcome than process, i.e., in any other election it may well have been reasonable to say that the media was biased, but in this one, with fake news and Trump's dominance of the narrative it was an irrelevance, and if anything it worked to his advantage.

I will also say that it's completely wrong to label all Trump supporters as racists. I mean it doesn't make any sense... a huge number of those people voted for Obama. There has to be an acceptance that for whatever reason the losing candidate was not popular (at least in terms of the electoral college)

Just getting back to the whole Nazi thing. My point is nothing to do with labeling the Trump campaign or the majority of his supporters. I'm more focused on the erosion of democratic institutional frameworks. We need to be extremely careful because the endgame is fascism and worse

Give it a break, fascism? election is over, you can play your scare tactic next time. And like i said you are a bandwagon follower, there is a reason that the losing candidate not popular? now you recognise that, of course, make it up as you go....expert in hindsight :clap:

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting you feel so strongly. From what I've seen he seems ok

Oh no. I cannot stand him. The things he says never make sense to me. Even in that clip ( I couldn't even listen to half of it because he's so nonsensical) he's saying that the Democrats need to look inward. Is he aware of all of the recounts going on? Trump's assertion that the election was rigged, ballots being miscounted, and Hillary winning the popular vote. How does that equate to the Democrats doing something wrong when the popular vote establishes the will of the people? That's just illogical.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
( I couldn't even listen to half of it because he's so nonsensical)

Tennis Fan, with all due respect, you do realize that this is precisely the shortest path to open (and often irrational) conflict, right? I never heard of the guy before (and maybe this is a blessing), but by chance I payed attention to this video, and for instance, he actually addresses (and answers quite well) all your remarks on the above post. So, even if I understand that sometimes it is extremely hard to listen to people we don´t like, in this case an outside observer (yes, I am self-entitling me as one) which just watches the video and reads your post is heavily inclined to label you as a radical. Aren´t radicals those people who just repeat the same phrases and seem just to look to a very specific part of reality? I am sure you are pretty surprised to be compared to a radical, and please do not be offended, I am not saying you are. My point is: a person can get so attached to a set of beliefs that it will blind her to a lot of things that could challenge those very beliefs. This set of beliefs can very well be a "good" one to start with, but the end of the process is far from "good".

So, if you really want to achieve something, sensibilize people and actually dialogue with people, I am sorry, but there is no other way to do it than listening to the things you do not want to hear. Sometimes to simply disagree with them, sometimes to change your own views. What is the point in getting in to a discussion if you do not even consider the possibility of being wrong?

Anyway, I am using this just to enter the subject I really want to address. The last posts on this thread are all about fake news and stuff. Again, as I said above, I do not think this is irrelevant. But it is ironic, to say the least to see that people now are starting to question news they see... And by "now" I mean "now that one given candidate lost".

So are you guys really more worried about phony, absurd news on social media, that (I am sorry) most 14 years olds could see that are fake, than carefully and well funded stories being fabricated on established media? I admit, I am a bit under the impression of a video I saw on the "Syria" thread, which is of panel on the UN discussing Syria. It is not a Russian government agency, not an obscure website ran by some weird guy in a country whose name people cannot even pronounce. The people on the video have their agendas? Of course they do, but, as my self and @Federberg where discussing (and agreeing), they are there, their faces and names are there, they are accountable of what they say (and you can always look for your own evidence and check their stories).

I am not saying that this fake news subject is not relevant. "Fake news" is a problem, whichever side uses it. What worries me is that one political/economic group is using this agenda to try to silence a lot of voices which are anything but "fake".

And I just remember one post from you (sorry, this is not personal, you will see why I remembered it) where you say something along the lines of "we will never know the truth behind a given fact". Well, in a lot of cases we actually can, because the sources are public. If you care enough, you can check the information for your self. C-span is there for you to watch.

I will give you an example. There is a lot going on in Brazil right now, where I live. We have a heavily divided country here, just as US. We have mainstream media and "fake" media supporting all possible sides. It is a huge information war. I chose not to believe anyone and check things for myself as far as I could. We had a very important ruling of the supreme court this week. I watched it live on TV (there is a state run TV, under the department of justice, which airs all supreme court activity). I read the previous decisions that were taken (this is public information). So now I am pretty sure I know exactly what is going on, even if, of course, I cannot follow everything that happens in background.

(Just to explain, I remembered your post because I read it precisely when I was about to write something with an opposing view. I refrained from that on the occasion just to avoid putting more fuel to the flames.)

Back to subject: And you know what? I found out that most of what is published on both sides is wrong, or biased (not exactly a surprise). By the way, here we have at least four sides: mainstream media supporting political side A, mainstream media supporting political side B (minority, yes, but exists), "independent" media supporting side A and "independent" media supporting side B.

On the other hand, things that were published or said on all sides sometimes made sense. So, all this long rant is to say one thing: the closest thing to an honest and fair coverage of the facts is this wild west of different reports, some that look fine, some that look even grotesque. The moment you start silencing voices -- be it by not listening, be it by "control" of the so called "fake media" -- is the moment that you are absolutely sure that what comes next is biased and non-representative.

And also, about the step following this: hatred.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have no doubt Russia got the candidate it preferred,

However, everything Wikileaks leaked was data and they said it didn't come from Russia.

As for cyber espionage... it goes on non-stop.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I have no doubt Russia got the candidate it preferred,

However, everything Wikileaks leaked was data and they said it didn't come from Russia.

As for cyber espionage... it goes on non-stop.

I literally can't believe my eyes.... "they said it didn't come from Russia "??? Wikileaks you believe? :lol6:

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Tennis Fan, with all due respect, you do realize that this is precisely the shortest path to open (and often irrational) conflict, right? I never heard of the guy before (and maybe this is a blessing), but by chance I payed attention to this video, and for instance, he actually addresses (and answers quite well) all your remarks on the above post. So, even if I understand that sometimes it is extremely hard to listen to people we don´t like, in this case an outside observer (yes, I am self-entitling me as one) which just watches the video and reads your post is heavily inclined to label you as a radical. Aren´t radicals those people who just repeat the same phrases and seem just to look to a very specific part of reality? I am sure you are pretty surprised to be compared to a radical, and please do not be offended, I am not saying you are. My point is: a person can get so attached to a set of beliefs that it will blind her to a lot of things that could challenge those very beliefs. This set of beliefs can very well be a "good" one to start with, but the end of the process is far from "good".

So, if you really want to achieve something, sensibilize people and actually dialogue with people, I am sorry, but there is no other way to do it than listening to the things you do not want to hear. Sometimes to simply disagree with them, sometimes to change your own views. What is the point in getting in to a discussion if you do not even consider the possibility of being wrong?

Anyway, I am using this just to enter the subject I really want to address. The last posts on this thread are all about fake news and stuff. Again, as I said above, I do not think this is irrelevant. But it is ironic, to say the least to see that people now are starting to question news they see... And by "now" I mean "now that one given candidate lost".

So are you guys really more worried about phony, absurd news on social media, that (I am sorry) most 14 years olds could see that are fake, than carefully and well funded stories being fabricated on established media? I admit, I am a bit under the impression of a video I saw on the "Syria" thread, which is of panel on the UN discussing Syria. It is not a Russian government agency, not an obscure website ran by some weird guy in a country whose name people cannot even pronounce. The people on the video have their agendas? Of course they do, but, as my self and @Federberg where discussing (and agreeing), they are there, their faces and names are there, they are accountable of what they say (and you can always look for your own evidence and check their stories).

I am not saying that this fake news subject is not relevant. "Fake news" is a problem, whichever side uses it. What worries me is that one political/economic group is using this agenda to try to silence a lot of voices which are anything but "fake".

And I just remember one post from you (sorry, this is not personal, you will see why I remembered it) where you say something along the lines of "we will never know the truth behind a given fact". Well, in a lot of cases we actually can, because the sources are public. If you care enough, you can check the information for your self. C-span is there for you to watch.

I will give you an example. There is a lot going on in Brazil right now, where I live. We have a heavily divided country here, just as US. We have mainstream media and "fake" media supporting all possible sides. It is a huge information war. I chose not to believe anyone and check things for myself as far as I could. We had a very important ruling of the supreme court this week. I watched it live on TV (there is a state run TV, under the department of justice, which airs all supreme court activity). I read the previous decisions that were taken (this is public information). So now I am pretty sure I know exactly what is going on, even if, of course, I cannot follow everything that happens in background.

(Just to explain, I remembered your post because I read it precisely when I was about to write something with an opposing view. I refrained from that on the occasion just to avoid putting more fuel to the flames.)

Back to subject: And you know what? I found out that most of what is published on both sides is wrong, or biased (not exactly a surprise). By the way, here we have at least four sides: mainstream media supporting political side A, mainstream media supporting political side B (minority, yes, but exists), "independent" media supporting side A and "independent" media supporting side B.

On the other hand, things that were published or said on all sides sometimes made sense. So, all this long rant is to say one thing: the closest thing to an honest and fair coverage of the facts is this wild west of different reports, some that look fine, some that look even grotesque. The moment you start silencing voices -- be it by not listening, be it by "control" of the so called "fake media" -- is the moment that you are absolutely sure that what comes next is biased and non-representative.

And also, about the step following this: hatred.

My comment is based on a history of listening to Joe Scarborough, not just one video, so it behooves me how you can make such a wide and sweeping generalization after hearing him just once, (according to you). What is your point in saying “with all due respect” and in the next breath calling me a radical? My apologies for not reading the rest of your post, but it seems hypocritical and comes off as extremely pompous. I’m not interested in people who try to be slick. You don’t have to like my opinion, but I can’t imagine sending someone a post of this nature. Ciao.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder why people get their panties in a bunch when discussing any subject. That is so baffling to me. When I go on a board, regardless of the topic, I expect that everyone will have their own ideas about why they believe a certain way. I don't understand why some people take it upon themselves to chastise, name call, or make generalizations based on their interpretations of someone else's words.

Instead of asking someone what they mean, some people take these big leaps and think that they know what's inside of someone else's mind. How do you do that? How do you know someone else's experiences, background, hell anything about them to try to tell them what you think of their opinion based on your interpretation? That's outright lunacy and intolerance which does not make for intelligent discourse no matter how many big words one attempts.

I have never, ever approached a poster and told them what I think about their views. That's just plain stupid in my book. Talk about an over-inflated sense of self-worth. I'm willing to bet anything that the offending posters cannot say that I ever approached them with an finger wagging attitude. Not one, not here, or anywhere else. That is infringing on someone else's right to free speech. You would think that adults would understand that.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's hilarious. You don't believe CNN or the Post but Wikileaks is credible

Wikileaks IS credible. They leak data and it's been 100% verified to date... or perhaps you'd like to share a ton of stuff that you've personally found that they just made up.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wikileaks IS credible. They leak data and it's been 100% verified to date... or perhaps you'd like to share a ton of stuff that you've personally found that they just made up.

Lol! Really don't know what to say to that. So we live in a world where Wikileaks is assigned higher journalistic credibility than the likes of CNN and the Post. Gather your tins and guns and head to the hinterland all ye folk :dance3:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes I do. Both can be corrupted. I'm a quant I know!

OK, so first of all comparing Wikileaks and the Post/CNN isn't comparing levels of journalism... because Wikileaks aren't journalists. Wikileaks publish raw data - leaked documents, memos, wires, emails... to all levels of classification. They don't publish opinion, they don't source the data into information. But... it's accepted that the data is genuine.

First question... Do you disagree with the above or not?

Now, let's look at the Post (for example... could be any newspaper to be honest)... the Post will publish information based on their interpretation of the raw data.... and we would never see the raw data it's based on to anything like the extent of the raw data Wikileaks release.

Fair? I think the above is a no-brainer.

Now the Post will base their interpretation on the journalist or writer's assessment of the raw data... they will write a piece... that will go through a sub-editor and then an editor. Now don't forget that a writer will often get assigned a story by an editor to begin with. Remember that the editor and proprietor of the paper have a target demographic to appeal to, they have advertisers to keep happy and have various other vested interests. During the election, the Post had a vested interest in writing pro-Clinton anti-Trump stories because they had a vested interest in her winning. They published the fact that they were backing her during the campaign.

Personally, I'd always rather read data and make my own mind up. Not to say that I don't take notice of opinion or enjoy reading it or in some cases swayed by reasoned arguments... but as for absolute credibility... sorry, no.

John Pilger made a great remark that there are actually few true journalists left, most are writers who are echo chambers.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
My comment is based on a history of listening to Joe Scarborough, not just one video, so it behooves me how you can make such a wide and sweeping generalization after hearing him just once, (according to you). What is your point in saying “with all due respect” and in the next breath calling me a radical? My apologies for not reading the rest of your post, but it seems hypocritical and comes off as extremely pompous. I’m not interested in people who try to be slick. You don’t have to like my opinion, but I can’t imagine sending someone a post of this nature. Ciao.

I do not like your opinion, but this is one of the reasons I addressed your post directly. Completely different views use to give good starting point for a dialogue. I know you wont even read, fine, but I never called you a radical, as I explicitly wrote in my post. I compared the attitude of not listening to the attitudes of a radical. It is precisely because I could suppose you would not like radical attitudes that I made the comparison.

I was not trying to generalize and make any judgements about you personally. All the time I made reference to what you wrote, and to what it could appear to a passer by. I started saying I have never listen to that person, and that I could imagine that your dislike of him was due to something as you said, and also that that was completely understandable.

It was not my intention to be pompous or hypocritical. Do I believe I am "right"? Of course I do... until proven otherwise.

I wonder why people get their panties in a bunch when discussing any subject. That is so baffling to me. When I go on a board, regardless of the topic, I expect that everyone will have their own ideas about why they believe a certain way. I don't understand why some people take it upon themselves to chastise, name call, or make generalizations based on their interpretations of someone else's words.

Instead of asking someone what they mean, some people take these big leaps and think that they know what's inside of someone else's mind. How do you do that? How do you know someone else's experiences, background, hell anything about them to try to tell them what you think of their opinion based on your interpretation? That's outright lunacy and intolerance which does not make for intelligent discourse no matter how many big words one attempts.

I have never, ever approached a poster and told them what I think about their views. That's just plain stupid in my book. Talk about an over-inflated sense of self-worth. I'm willing to bet anything that the offending posters cannot say that I ever approached them with an finger wagging attitude. Not one, not here, or anywhere else. That is infringing on someone else's right to free speech. You would think that adults would understand that.

This is obviously directed to me, so I answer, even if it wont be read.

This is an internet board, where we discuss things. One person writes one thing, the other replies. We debate views all the time, and quote each other posts all the time. Everything is fine until there is no name calling and labeling, a line which I am sure I did not cross. Anyway, lession learned, I will not address you directly ever again.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
What's so hard to believe? Wikileaks leaked the data and said it wasn't Russia who gave it to them.

Britbox, I mostly agree with you on this subject, but I am curious on the "wikileaks said" part. Is it possible for them to actually back this statement without compromising their modus operandi?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46