US Politics Thread

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The best thing that could happen (to the world at that time) was an incompetent US president.
OK, even I can't resist this one. How would that be a net benefit to the world? I get that the point about a hegemonic power, but are you really comfortable with the now-borderline hegemonic power being run by one so incompetent? There's still a lot of power there, and yet with a thin-skinned autocrat ostensively driving the train, though all the while we know his handlers are doing all they can to keep him from running it off the rails.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is old, I did not reply instantly because otherwise we would just keep debating while agreeing not to debate. But just to get things straight for future debates: I did not make a factual inaccuracy. I said that HRC is a proven liar, which is a fact in practically any way you look at it. Then you replied with a long analysis of her psyche/background/political inclinations, saying that you need all this to understand her actions. Fair enough, but it is about that that I can't be bothered.

The debate I did not want to enter, but it seems to be impossible to escape, is the TrumpxHRC one. But, to set one thing straight: One of the reasons I was "happy" for Trump winning is that I was pretty sure that it would be worse for the US -- and even if I don't have anything against it, I don't like an hegemonic power calling all the shots in the world. The best thing that could happen (to the world at that time) was an incompetent US president.
I too am perfectly happy to see an end to US hegemony. Contrary to some very superficial assumptions here I'm not an Americano-phile. I do think that the American people are good, and in terms of culture they're definitely on the plus side. I do get a bit irritated by the narrative that they're on the side of the light, so we should just accept that they have the right to impose their military power where they choose and it's automatically a good thing. I mean.. good grief.. America is the only country in the world that's used nuclear weapons, so it's a bit rich to try to stop others from acquiring the same technology.

But what I see in US politics at the moment is a global threat. We have the very real possibility that the President of the United States is in effect an agent of another government. Just look at this last weekend, after a really innocuous statement from Trudeau, Trump acts like the guy had said something terrible about Trump or the US. It's frightening to live in a world where you just know the majority of Trump's supporters haven't even bothered to look at the facts and just take Trump at his word.

As for HRC as a liar, she is no more a liar than any other politician. American politics is incredibly misogynistic. You only have to look at the reaction to Pelosi as well. You don't have to be a supporter of their politics to realise that the attacks against both of them are over and above what it would have been had they been men. It's truly astounding to me that a country that deludes itself into thinking it is culturally more advanced than anywhere else in the world is still very much in the dark ages. America is a complex and confusing beast to say the least.

Your riposte that HRC is a liar would be excusable if I was talking to a Joe Blow in a pub over a pint or two. But I have had the pleasure of debating with you for a few years now, and we've even had some interesting PM debates, so I know that you are in fact a very intelligent person. So it's not good enough. HRC is not exceptional when it comes to mendacity. One of her greatest faults is a default setting where she tries to parse the truth and side step the core accusations against her. Something that was fine in a bygone age, but in an era of hyper-partisanship it's the very definition of why electorates everywhere in advanced democracies hate politicians. It's incredibly inauthentic. The woman could have dealt with her email problems with a simple mea culpa and resetting speech. Just like Obama did with his pastor controversy in the 08 election. But she truly is one of the worst politicians I've encountered in the last few decades. Funnily enough Theresa May makes her look like the second coming of FDR. I don't know why some of these top female politicians are so bad in this day and age, but it's something for the fairer sex to ponder if they want to take their rightful place at the table. I have watched Clinton's evolution as a politician ever since her husband started his rise to national politics, a lot of the so called dark stuff has been manufactured over the decades to build a character that doesn't match reality. Say what you want but the GOP has a talent for identifying threats and neutralising them. I don't blame the American electorate though. The fault lies with a Democratic Party ethos that is so constitutionally incapable of controlling a narrative it's mind blowing. Consider that we are about to go into mid-term elections where one party has openly supported a child molester, blatantly given tax cuts to extremely wealthy individuals at the expense of the middle class, damaged a health care system not even for ideological reasons, is currently separating babies from parents and caging them, fielding candidates who openly support white supremacy and deny the holocaust, is running a massive fiscal deficit at the worst time in the economic cycle and yet.. and yet... none of these things is being discussed as an argument for that party's unfitness for office by the opposition party? Did you notice what I didn't mention? I didn't mention an ongoing Special Counsel investigation that has led to more charges of key personnel quicker than any Special Counsel investigation in American history. All of this happening and there's a question about whether the party of opposition will win in November. It's stunning. But it illustrates the incompetence necessary for a leading candidate like HRC to be tarnished the way she has been over the last few decades with no real resistance. If you did the work to really understand the politics at play you would realise the sheer laziness "HRC is a proven liar" implies

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
US politics scene is definitely changing ; Now, we shall have a pimp as our Congressmen soon. Pimps screw (both literally and financially) the girls using whom they run their business. Actually, politicians screw the people using whom they come to power. So, after all not much of a difference, I guess.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This family separation thing in the US is an atrocity. If the GOP aren't swept out in the mid-terms because of this, then it's terrifying to think what that mad man will do next

GettyImages_973077552.0.jpg

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This family separation thing in the US is an atrocity. If the GOP aren't swept out in the mid-terms because of this, then it's terrifying to think what that mad man will do next

It is dreadful for families to be separated from each other. Children that young shouldn't be separated from their families. They should be having fun, enjoying themselves & learning all they can about life & things they want. What messages do you think the law separating them from their families gives them?

Horsa

Reactions

According to the science forum I'm on, they're not just separating children from their families now but they're imprisoning the children & there's an uproar as there should be. (I normally just post my poems in the your talent section but if something grabs my attention I read it. Last time I read the basic relativity thread & found it fascinating especially when it got to Cherenkhov's radiation. Today when I read about children being caged up I just had to look because I thought this cannot be happening.)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So Trump backs down. First time he's ever done that. All the noise and nonsense and no forward action on his agenda. Can't be good with the mid-terms round the corner. And this hasn't ended yet, if any one of those children is hurt or doesn't get back with their families he's in even bigger trouble now. Retreating implicitly shows - despite his lies - that he's responsible for the policy in the first place

Horsa

Reactions
So Trump backs down. First time he's ever done that. All the noise and nonsense and no forward action on his agenda. Can't be good with the mid-terms round the corner. And this hasn't ended yet, if any one of those children is hurt or doesn't get back with their families he's in even bigger trouble now. Retreating implicitly shows - despite his lies - that he's responsible for the policy in the first place
I'm glad. It's about bloody time. He shouldn't have given the orders that subjected children to that treatment in the 1st place. No one should have the right to treat anyone like that let alone children. Where on earth did he get the idea from that, that was acceptable behaviour? Is there anybody that can stop him though? He really needs stopping.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And in a moment of deep sensitivity, the First Lady chose this jacket as she boarded Air Force One to go down and see the situation for herself on the Texas border.
Unknown.jpeg

Horsa

Reactions
And in a moment of deep sensitivity, the First Lady chose this jacket as she boarded Air Force One to go down and see the situation for herself on the Texas border.
View attachment 1860
& I feel like saying a few choice words I normally reserve for animal & child cruelty cases I hear of when although I've got a decent vocab I run out of decent words to say. (I don't normally swear but the cases I mentioned above are enough to make a vicar swear).

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So now Trump is thinking about withdrawing troops from Germany. He's doing this shite in broad day light. Clearly got his lips firmly wrapped around Putin's nether regions. I'm simply amazed that the GOP is willing to sell their country out for a couple of SCOTUS's

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tough guy Donald Trump being servile towards Putin. This is truly astonishing and not many republicans will say much. Here, one can see how creaky and weak the US democratic system is. I used to consider the US the gold standard for democracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Tough guy Donald Trump being servile towards Putin. This is truly astonishing and not many republicans will say much. Here, one can see how creaky and weak the US democratic system is. I used to consider the US as the gold standard for democracy.
it's absolutely astonishing. But sadly I don't think this moves the needle much. The same folks who called Obama weak for allowing the red line to be crossed in Syria (even though he sought Congressional approval to proceed on that) will just sit back on this and deny that Trump has been utterly craven here

Reactions: atttomole

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
it's absolutely astonishing. But sadly I don't think this moves the needle much. The same folks who called Obama weak for allowing the red line to be crossed in Syria (even though he sought Congressional approval to proceed on that) will just sit back on this and deny that Trump has been utterly craven here
Partisan politics is the main reason why the democratic system does not work the way it should in the US. Many of the senators think about their jobs first. In a country like Australia, New Zealand or even the UK, someone like Trump would have been forced out a long time ago and indicted.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Partisan politics is the main reason why the democratic system does not work the way it should in the US. Many of the senators think about their jobs first. In a country like Australia, New Zealand or even the UK, someone like Trump would have been forced out a long time ago and indicted.
I think gerrymandering is specifically responsible. I do agree with you that it would be much harder for this to happen in a parliamentary system. Even if that also has it's own flaws

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46