US Open [Men], 2021 - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Proof of Vaccination Required To Attend The US Open

That is a change of position, I think. But no matter. They should, as the Delta variant is causing a spike, and lots of NYC is insisting on proof of vaccine for admittance. Frankiy, I feel better about that.

Reactions: Carol

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That is a change of position, I think. But no matter. They should, as the Delta variant is causing a spike, and lots of NYC is insisting on proof of vaccine for admittance. Frankiy, I feel better about that.
We are still in lockdown for another month here due to Delta variant,that will be 3 months all up,still the people that are fully vaccinated will be able to get a small reprieve here in the middle of September,in other words 'get vaccinated'.Melbourne is also in lock down with the Delta variant,I would imagine at the AO in 2022 the officials will also bring in similar conditions for people attending.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Upset alert IMO. Greek is known to panic when challenged early, remember how he lost to Coric in USO and more recently to Tiafoe in Wimbledon.
TBH, neither Coric nor Tiafoe was a good first round. Neither is Murray. But here's the deal: Tsitsipas, along with Medvedev and Zverev, most especially, have to realize this opportunity. "Only" Djokovic in front of them for this title. Losing first round would be a monumental fail for Stefanos. These 3 have all reached the finals of a Major, or 2. The "excuse" of a Big 3 in front of them is reduced by 2, and they can stop acting like they're playing tennis with training wheels on.

This is a mental test for Novak, due to the obvious pressure, but it is for at least these 3 players, too. I'll be very interested to see how the mental game gets played out in this one.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
42 year old Ivo Karlovic has qualifed for the US Open main draw.It's the last tournament of his career.Karlovic will play 'He who has the best Hair in Tennis,Rublev" in his first match .....:)

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
42 year old Ivo Karlovic has qualifed for the US Open main draw.It's the last tournament of his career.Karlovic will play 'He who has the best Hair in Tennis,Rublev" in his first match .....:)
I just wanted to post this. That guy is amazing, 42 and half years old. Pitty he got Rublev in a first round.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Draw challenge filled with mixed feelings. I said before that I believe Zverev can take out Novak so I went with germain in SF. I believe in Medvedev on another side of the draw and if he meets Zverev that looks like a 50:50 match to me. I gave edge to Medvedev in the final.

Anyway, my gut feeling is telling me that Novak will come short either in the semis or the final. I hope I will be wrong and he wins a whole thing.

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Draw challenge filled with mixed feelings. I said before that I believe Zverev can take out Novak so I went with germain in SF. I believe in Medvedev on another side of the draw and if he meets Zverev that looks like a 50:50 match to me. I gave edge to Medvedev in the final.

Anyway, my gut feeling is telling me that Novak will come short either in the semis or the final. I hope I will be wrong and he wins a whole thing.
We know the Medvedev can go 5 sets in a GS final,you know I am still out on Zverev until he can actually defeat a Top 10 player in a GS,yes he can win tournaments in 3 sets,he is still unproven to me at GS level.His serve has to be 'on song' more importantly his concentration level.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ooh look..holger rune vs mr actionman hairdo bloke.

rune has won 2 challenger events and won 3 uso q matches since djoko last played...

any chance of an upset ?. unlikely. but wilander was expected to beat 18yr old sampras at uso89..

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gilles Simon has withdrawn for medical reasons.He will be replaced by a qualifer or a lucky loser in the draw.
Just more news on why Gilles Simon was withdrawn from the US Open,Gilles coach tested positive,so Gilles a close contact was withdrawn.Gilles tested negative but must isolate in his hotel room for 10 days.Gilles is not vaccinated.He says "it was maybe my last US Open".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I'm so glad you brought up the draw challenge, as I was going to remind people. I understand your conflict. Because it's the question on everyone's mind: Can Novak complete the CYGS? I get the pressures, and they will be huge. Sure, Zverev could take out Novak. Or he could be that Next Gen guy that just keeps falling short. And then maybe Medvedev will refuse to play as poorly as he did in the AO final. But who knows? Honestly, I keep asking myself, if Novak gets to the SF, will he be stoppable, at that point? Certainly, if he gets to the final, no matter who is on the other side, I have a hard time seeing him losing. I'm trying to work my way though the draws now, and I'm already stuck in the early rounds with some interesting match-ups.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nole will play with the Humbolt wristwatch. new to me.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
F92CFAA4-C921-4AF1-91BB-0D45156DC4DF.jpeg

3BBB0BAC-6271-46F3-8E56-D0182F6C3298.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.