US Open [Men], 2021 - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think you're right. And I saw your previous post about him, Novak and Medevedev as the players on song, so far. Just speaking to Zverev, he has a lot to prove from last year, he knows that he may have to go through Djokovic and Meddie to do it, and so he has to be very focused and economical. So far, so good.
Oh please...how many matches have been played? Sasha has yet to defeat a Top 10 player in a GS tournament,it is not always how your start it is about how your play is when it counts at the business end of a GS..like last year her he choked big time in the final.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh please...how many matches have been played? Sasha has yet to defeat a Top 10 player in a GS tournament,it is not always how your start it is about how your play is when it counts at the business end of a GS..like last year her he choked big time in the final.
I'm feeling optimistic about him.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Even with his OG, I refuse to give Sascha the benefit of the doubt; esp. in majors! He has disappointed all too often; even with huge leads! :facepalm:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Even with his OG, I refuse to give Sascha the benefit of the doubt; esp. in majors! He has disappointed all too often; even with huge leads! :facepalm:
Yep .until I see he can defeat a Top 10 player in a Major then I will change my mind,perhaps,people are taking too much of his victory in 3 sets at the Olympics,against Novak, you cannot compare a Olympic victory to a GS event period.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Big difference, best of 5 sets. I think it is somewhat simpler for Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Thiem, and company to get wins over Nadal and Djokovic in a best of three because their focus is much narrower, but trying to focus and get a win over Nadal and Djokovic in a best of 5 is extremely tough. I mean we have seen Djokovic and Nadal matches teeter on 4+ hours and having to have that kind of focus to take out Djokovic and Nadal is a tough ask.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seriously, I think this Fritz v. Brooksby match has the feel for positioning in the future of US men's tennis. Brooksby is young, but he's trying to make his mark.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djokovic seems content to just play simply and conserve and get through these matches. He is playing smart so far, not trying to do too much or put a target on himself.

Reactions: bokun and Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gob-smacking point for Brooksby to win that set. I seriously think this is a pissing contest.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clearly I'm the only one who cares, but Brooksby is making a big statement as to who is the next one in US tennis. Fritz not done yet, but nearly.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wish Shapovalov could figure out a way to clean up his unforced errors. He would be a much stronger contender if he did. He plays with zero margin.

Reactions: Fiero425

bokun

Reactions
Berretini wins! Hurray! I'm curious how you find him similar to Del Potro, other than the big serve and powerful bh? Ok, that's a lot, but Juan Martin moved like a sloth around the court, and Matteo is much more purposeful.
To the point of Matteo, Moutet played very well, and Berrettini only found his range later in the match. Injury seems not an issue, and I hope he's trending upwards.
Yeah I think mostly because of serve and fh (I think you also meant fh but wrote bh), but also their weakness the bh. Matteos movement also not the best, he is too heavy and big in my opinion. The tall guys with good movement are mostly skinny like Daniil or Alex for example.
I like Berrettini a lot and I hope he will not remind me of Juan looking at injuries.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Shapovalov definitely could have chosen a better coach. Might want to try the Mouratoglou Academy for some consistency. 21winners to 19 errors in the first set isn’t going to cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.