US Open [Men], 2021 - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well it is also up to the umpires they are suppose to be in charge of the match aren't they? I mean he gets away with murder,he gets a warning time and time again for 'coaching' from his dad,they should give him a point penalty? this is like a circus,as I stated earlier I have lost all respect for this player.
You have made that abundantly clear. And I said that they do lose respect of fans and fellows. But when the rule says "an appropriate amount of time" I'm not sure what the umpire is supposed to do. Change the rule. Make a time limit.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This match looks to be settling into a long slog, meaning unlikely to be over before 3am. Good luck to them both, and may the best man win. I'll be checking the score in the morning.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You have made that abundantly clear. And I said that they do lose respect of fans and fellows. But when the rule says "and appropriate amount of time" I'm not sure what the umpire is supposed to do. Change the rule. Make a time limit.
Well the umpire should be timing the player when he left the court for starters and what time it takes the player to return 8 mins? come on that is exploiting the rule.stop making excuses for him

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well the umpire should be timing the player when he left the court for starters and what time it takes the player to return 8 mins? come on that is exploiting the rule.stop making excuses for him
I'm not making excuses. I told you I have problems. But my main problem is with the rule. If the timing of the rule is vague, it doesn't matter how much the umpire times him. What's he going to say? "You took 8 minutes." And the player says, "So? It's no more breaks than I'm allowed and I argue that it was reasonable time." However, if the rule says "5 minutes, 2 times in a 5-setter. After that, you get docked points per minute over time," etc., then the umpire has a rule to enforce. That's my only point.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not making excuses. I told you I have problems. But my main problem is with the rule. If the timing of the rule is vague, it doesn't matter how much the umpire times him. What's he going to say? "You took 8 minutes." And the player says, "So? It's no more breaks than I'm allowed and I argue that it was reasonable time." However, if the rule says "5 minutes, 2 times in a 5-setter. After that, you get docked points per minute over time," etc., then the umpire has a rule to enforce. That's my only point.
Well the umpire has to make it clear to any player if they go overtime in the first break,they are only entitled twice in 5 minutes, in 5 set matches, still he is still exploiting the rule,he is taking 8 mins which is 3 mins more then he should in the first break,the umpire has to make it clear to him full stop.,which they clearly are not doing because he goes overtime over and over again.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Schwartzman did just lob the big man.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well the umpire has to make it clear to any player if they go overtime in the first break,they are only entitled twice in 5 minutes, in 5 set matches, still he is still exploiting the rule,he is taking 8 mins which is 3 mins more then he should in the first break,the umpire has to make it clear to him full stop.,which they clearly are not doing because he goes overtime over and over again.
You can keep being mad that they're "going over time," but when there is no specific time rule, I don't know what you're railing against.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You can keep being mad that they're "going over time," but when there is no specific time rule, I don't know what you're railing against.
My point is that is does not take anyone even a female player to go to the toilet and take 8 mins.I am over discussing this with you okay...you are not getting my point of view.He is exploiting the rule to his advantage,pity you cannot see that.I am going to get a massage.I will check the score later.As you just stated Rule says 5 mins, 2 times in a 5 set match".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My point is that is does not take anyone even a female player to go to the toilet and take 8 mins.I am over discussing this with you okay...you are not getting my point of view.He is exploiting the rule to his advantage,pity you cannot see that.I am going to get a massage.I will check the score later.As you just stated Rule says 5 mins, 2 times in a 5 set match".
No, there is no rule that says 5 minutes. That was a suggestion I made as to a change they might make. That's the problem. The rule says "an appropriate amount of time," which is vague and not governable. I'm sorry you're done discussing it, but I don't think the tennis world is.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, to be clear, they don't just always go to the toilet. On a hot, heavy day, what they often do is go off court to change their whole kit, including socks shoes orthotics, etc. But, hey, hustle it up!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going to the rule book to check on the 'toilet rule' there has to be one in place
Regardless I stand by my point that 'The Young Greek' is exploiting the rule to his own advantage,also he is in favor of on court coaching,which his father does to him time and time again,I find this highly embarassing at this level,it might be okay at junior level but not at this level.

Vamos Diego winning in straight sets.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As per the ATP rule book a player is entitled to one (1) toilet break during a best of three set match
2 toilet breaks a best of five set match.
In addition,the toilet breaks should be taken on a set break and can be used for no other purposes.
It does not specify any time limit for the break.This is when I feel it is up to the Umpire who is apparently in control of the match,should make sure that any player is not 'exploiting the time' it takes for a toilet break.
In the match Tsitipas vs Murray,Tsitipas took a eight minute toilet break before the start of a decisive fifth set against Murray.Murray viewed as 'stalling tactics".
Of course a toilet break helps a player mentally by collecting their thoughts..Also an 'extended toilet break can prove detrimental for a player waiting for his opponent to come back and disrupt his momentum.
I would also like to say this is not the first time Tsitipas has taken extended toilet breaks,quite frankly it is getting to a point where commentators are actually timing his breaks now, again I find totally embarrassing at this level,like they did in his match again earlier against Mannarino,if that is not exploiting the toilet break to his advantage I do not know what is? Sasha also complained to the umpire in their final match at Cinncy,though he is allowed to get away with it,time and time again,maybe this serial behavior could be classed as 'unsportsman like conduct' where there is a penalty.

Last edited:

bokun

Reactions
I would say so far, the Big 3 of this tournament are Novak (just because of his reputation), Alexander and Daniil (due to the superb HC tennis they are showing right now and their self confidence).
I would put my money on the Russian, i do not see who could challenge him seriously until the F, plus he just has to play against one of the two.
On the other side i see a very hard fought SF coming with psychological advantages for Zverev (winning streak, current level, beat Novak recently and the pressure of the CYGS).

Reactions: Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It boggles my mind that the ATP and WTA do not make players surrender any type of communication device before they leave the court with their bags for any time out. That would be an easy way to curtail “unnecessary” time outs stalling for time if indeed players are using it to communicate during time outs.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
As per the ATP rule book a player is entitled to one (1) toilet break during a best of three set match
2 toilet breaks a best of five set match.
In addition,the toilet breaks should be taken on a set break and can be used for no other purposes.
It does not specify any time limit for the break.This is when I feel it is up to the Umpire who is apparently in control of the match,should make sure that any player is not 'exploiting the time' it takes for a toilet break.
In the match Tsitipas vs Murray,Tsitipas took a eight minute toilet break before the start of a decisive fifth set against Murray.Murray viewed as 'stalling tactics".
Of course a toilet break helps a player mentally by collecting their thoughts..Also an 'extended toilet break can prove detrimental for a player waiting for his opponent to come back and disrupt his momentum.
I would also like to say this is not the first time Tsitipas has taken extended toilet breaks,quite frankly it is getting to a point where commentators are actually timing his breaks now, again I find totally embarrassing at this level,like they did in his match again earlier against Mannarino,if that is not exploiting the toilet break to his advantage I do not know what is? Sasha also complained to the umpire in their final match at Cinncy,though he is allowed to get away with it,time and time again,maybe this serial behavior could be classed as 'unsportsman like conduct' where there is a penalty.
But this isn’t an ATP event. It’s a grand slam. They can make whatever rules they want, so both the ATP and the majors would need to be in sync on this issue for there to be any semblance of uniformity.

Reactions: bokun

tented

Administrator
Reactions
55331ABB-A9DA-42CA-B1E5-30860CE6674A.jpeg

2FDA8046-EFA0-4F33-9FAE-6AAF03A0586A.jpeg

CD8FB921-C4B4-4047-AE65-3DDA7D39ED90.jpeg

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
But this isn’t an ATP event. It’s a grand slam. They can make whatever rules they want, so both the ATP and the majors would need to be in sync on this issue for there to be any semblance of uniformity.
Correct. But it only takes one of them to establish a clear cut rule and the rest will follow. The question becomes, who will stand up first?

Reactions: Moxie
Status
Not open for further replies.