Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2019 Edition.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The biggest upset in history will always be the 2017 AO final when Federer (barely) beat Nadal in a slam for the first time 10 years.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh dear, you Roger fans are beyond ridiculous. You expect a 18 y old who is debuting at Wimbledon to stop the 4 time champion. Good luck then.

I am not expecting that. All I said was that he could potentially stop Novak, although it is not probable. I cannot even say the same thing about other players in Novak's quarter.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not expecting that. All I said was that he could potentially stop Novak, although it is not probable. I cannot even the same thing about other players in Novak's quarter.
Hope springs eternal, right? I'm not above hoping that FAA pulls off the miracle. ;)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This may have already been mentioned, but I noticed while looking up Tsitsipas’s history on grass that before losing to Isner in the R16 here last year, he beat Fabbiano.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are couple of possibilities for Day #2.

1. C. Ruud might take out Isner. Isner was out of action for quite a while and is bound to be rusty.

2. Thiem might like to join his contemporaries Sasha and Thiem. We know Sam's grass prowess as well.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The biggest upset in history will always be the 2017 AO final when Federer (barely) beat Nadal in a slam for the first time 10 years.

Don't lie to yourself or others here. That match should have been over in 3 sets except Federer took his foot off the gas for 2 sets. He also didn't barely win unless your name is Stevie Wonder. It was 6-3 in the final set. The 3rd set was 6-1. Like I said, Federer took the foot off the gas and should have wrapped it up in 3 sets.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh dear, you Roger fans are beyond ridiculous. You expect a 18 y old who is debuting at Wimbledon to stop the 4 time champion. Good luck then.

I don't see FAA with that upset either. Medvedev and KK are kind of guys that could hurt Novak before the final and possibly Wawrinka if he survives that far. Now KK is probably still too green to stay patient enough with Novak, but I still think Medvedev is a bigger treat to him if they meet. My opinion is based on what I saw in AO.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I picked Hurkacz to win that one. He's been trending. As you say, upset, but not really a surprise.
Same here. Hurkacz delivered which can't be said for some other guys. Not sure if someone mentioned Jarry losing to Seppi, though it's not really a surprise given the expereince of Seppi and his solid play on clay, but I think I was not the only one hoping the Chilean will make a few rounds. Maybe Garin has more luck.

Humbert was worth a shot against Monfils, but is easy to say now. What should we say about Dimitrov who after 2 sets I really tought okay he will make this one and have a chance against FAA, but no, I wake up in the morning only to see him lose without even a fight in the 5th. Granollers saved my day yesterday, beating tired Sonego which I was counting on.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't see FAA with that upset either. Medvedev and KK are kind of guys that could hurt Novak before the final and possibly Wawrinka if he survives that far. Now KK is probably still too green to stay patient enough with Novak, but I still think Medvedev is a bigger treat to him if they meet. My opinion is based on what I saw in AO.
Khachanov is in Anderson's quarter. Medvedev is in Nole's

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Khachanov is in Anderson's quarter. Medvedev is in Nole's
At one point I had KK in my draw challenge to make semis, but I chickened out and put Wawrinka there, which is still not very wise, but worth a shot I guess. When I saw the draw I said ok, Wawrinka has serve bots in Opelka, Raonic and Anderson. I figured out, he beats one, he will get comfortable and beat every single one of them with a same formula, 9 tiebreaks, possible 10 or more if he looses some :lulz1:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
At one point I had KK in my draw challenge to make semis, but I chickened out and put Wawrinka there, which is still not very wise, but worth a shot I guess. When I saw the draw I said ok, Wawrinka has serve bots in Opelka, Raonic and Anderson. I figured out, he beats one, he will get comfortable and beat every single one of them with a same formula, 9 tiebreaks, possible 10 or more if he looses some :lulz1:
Last night I checked the internet and found Milos' first round match. Believe it or not, he had a very unusual match, at least the first set I watched, where he had points with 5-10 shots, totally unusual for him.
So that is going against the servebot adjective which folks like to stick Besides his name.

Reactions: don_fabio

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dimitrov out, not a big surprise

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

No way Wawrinka survives that far or beats Novak; Stan's game is not suitable for grass.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
First upset of the day, another top 8 seed shown the door.
Thiem beaten in 4, with a greasy doughnut as dessert in the last set.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No way Wawrinka survives that far or beats Novak; Stan's game is not suitable for grass.

The way I looked at it was that neither Raonic or Anderson are in top shape and lack match play and Wawrinka could take advantage of that being close to his best. He then remains to beat either Khachanov or Agut (unless someone else makes an upset), who are both beatable by Stan and there he is in the SF, but the first test for Stan is Opelka. Don't get me wrong, Stan can also lose every match from R2 and later, but I believe in him even it is grass that somehow he might sneak through (his best result is QF). This is also partly because I root for him too.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denis Sh. was upset. Dissapoiting to say the least, I was expecting a whole lot better than in Paris, at least to get to R3.
Especially considering that he beat Novak last week in an exhibition, preparing for Wimbledon.
Most disturbing was the scoreline, straight setted by Berankis.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First upset of the day, another top 8 seed shown the door.
Thiem beaten in 4, with a greasy doughnut as dessert in the last set.
By all accounts, Thiem made a poor showing, once he got broken. Not sure what is up with that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
On Wednesday, I project at least three upsets from the following five matches.

1. KK vs. Deliciano (Deliciano is hot right now)
2. Medvedev vs. Popyrin. (Alex is the hottest young thing now, IMO)
3. Stan vs. Opelka (A big server and a player whose game does not suit grass)
4. Edmund vs. Verdasco (Verdasco is 2-0 H2H and a Britisher on CC)
5. Pella vs. Seppi (Pella is a clay courter and Seppi is a veteran).

Reactions: don_fabio and mrzz