The Rankings Thread (ATP)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Following today's loss, Anderson will drop out if the top 10.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
@herios - it looks like Novak is safe at No. 1, regardless of the tournament’s outcome, but Roger could still pass Rafa, correct?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That is why it is doubly important for fed to win this tourney. Then, he will get #2 seed at USO, thus increasing his chances there too by being far away from Nole.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
That is why it is doubly important for fed to win this tourney. Then, he will get #2 seed at USO, thus increasing his chances there too by being far away from Nole.

He has no chance at USO. This is important for the legacy, I don't really care about the rank though it is always nice when Rafa is in his proper place of looking up at Roger in ranking.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He has no chance at USO. This is important for the legacy, I don't really care about the rank though it is always nice when Rafa is in his proper place of looking up at Roger in ranking.

Roger made it seem so easy to win the USO taking those 5 in a row, but hasn't played but 2 finals since dropping them both in the last decade! Of course the "choke jobs" in those 2 Semi's against Nole in '10 & '11 with MP's held & serving really hurts/taints the legacy! :whistle:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger made it seem so easy to win the USO taking those 5 in a row, but hasn't played but 2 finals since dropping them both in the last decade! Of course the "choke jobs" in those 2 Semi's against Nole in '10 & '11 with MP's held & serving really hurts/taints the legacy! :whistle:

It doesn't taint the legacy. Those were just two matches he clearly should have won. No guarantee he beats Nadal in those finals obviously. In fact I highly doubt he would've won 2010 as Rafa was playing unbelievable tennis, but I'd have given him a decent shot in 2011 even with Nadal totally in his head. The loss to Del Po ended up being way bigger. He would've had the Roger Slam if he had still won AO 2010 and it'd have been a sole record at USO with 6 and he'd have also been the only one to win 6 in a row at a major.

The USO has been playing noticeably slower the past few years so I don't see him winning there but I'd love to be wrong.

Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldn't count him out at the USO. Not the way he's playing now, at least. But he'd need a perfect storm: Novak to play poorly and/or be upset by someone else, his A game against Rafa...anyone else is beatable.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well. Assuming Fed doesn't up and surprise us and retire after the US Open, he should be a lock for the YEC. (With Laver cup and a 10 year deal with Uniqlo and feeling good and having just made the Wimbledon final, I'd be shocked if he retired this year and honestly, he'd be an idiot to retire this year. Sure. Maybe you want to go out on top or at least before you're struggling. But there's no reason for him to do that yet. Laver Cup may actually be the biggest reason for him though. He's just getting it off the ground.) Djokovic and Nadal are locked for the YEC now. Fed isn't technically yet. But it's gonna be impossible for 6 other players to pass him. By the end of the US Open he should have it all locked up with just some QF runs at Cincy and the US Open.

And he may not be able to get the #2 seed before the US Open, though there's a good chance if Nadal doesn't defend Canada. But he could get it after the US Open if Rafa doesn't win it. Because he lost early last year he can add a fair amount of points. But, could also lose it even if he gets it, because I think he has more to defend than Rafa going forward. Or at least after the US Open. Hasn't played Canada in a few years so an appearance there would be helpful, but don't count on it. But has the final to defend in Cincy and semis in Shanghai and Paris and the Basel title. So not without points to defend of his own. Needs a semi at the US Open. Of course he'd love to win it a 6th time.

Nishikori within 5 points of Tsitsipas. Medvedev into the top 10. Falls to 8 in the race. Was at 6. Is this the first time or did he do it once before this? I can't remember. Tough loss to Goffin in the 3rd or 4th round. Would have been a tougher test for Djokovic you feel like. Still. Don't think he could have pulled off an upset. Irrelevant speculation at this point.
RBA into the top 8 of the YEC race. 13 in the actual rankings. With DelPo still ahead of him. So should have a 12 seed or better at the US Open. Hard courts actually his best surface. Should feel very confident after Wimbledon. And didn't play Cincy or Canada because of injury last year. And lost in the first round of the US Open. So zero points to defend over the next month and half. Probably should be top 10 by the end of the US Open.

Thiem and Zverev hold at 4 and 5. But Thiem already at 4 for the YEC race and Zverev at 10. Big difference in points from this year for them. Thiem has like 1000 points to defend the rest of the year. Zverev has about 2400 or 2500. Huge for Thiem to defend his RG final from last year this year. Most importantly for Thiem, if he can get through other young players he may have to face early, he can't face a big 3 opponent until the semis. So an epic like his match with Nadal last year in the ... 4th round??? can't derail him. But. Plenty of talent in those ranked below him.

Fognini at 9 in the rankings and 9 in the YEC race. Always useless on grass but did great to avoid the Tiafoe upset and prove everyone calling it as almost guaranteed wrong. And made the... third round here. Solidish. Would just be huge for him to build on Monte Carlo enough to make the YEC. Hasn't been horrible on hard courts. He'd love to do well enough before the US Open to get a top 8 seed and avoid the top 4 til the quarters. Still. He's only got like 1 4th round there I think.

At this point, I'd bet on the current top 4 being in the YEC. Tsitsipas. Medvedev. Nishikori. RBA. Zverev always capable of finding "it" again and making a run for it. Fognini in the hunt and could get it. But Zverev seems all out of sorts. And Fognini is unreliable. RBA with the AO QF and this SF here has really set himself apart since his return from injury. Nishikori just continuing to look solid. Second best. Second tier. But solid. Surprisingly poor clay season or he'd be in a more confident position to make the YEC. If he's healthy though, he's always a threat.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high July 15, 2019:

8. Karen Khachanov 23y
9. Fabio Fognini 32y
10. Daniil Medvedev 23y
30. Taylor Fritz 21y
43. Jordan Thmpson 25y
48. Ugo Humbert 21y
66. Miomir Kecmanovic 19y
81. Corentin Moutet 20y
85. Lloyd Harris 22y
91. Alexei Popyrin 19y
97. Brayden Schnur 24y

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Medvedev makes the top 10. Both big Russians have arrived there, now it will be interesting to see if they can build on that.
Humbert brakes in the top 50.
A new entrant in the top 100, Schnur from Canada.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev makes the top 10. Both big Russians have arrived there, now it will be interesting to see if they can build on that.
Humbert brakes in the top 50.
A new entrant in the top 100, Schnur from Canada.

Who do you think has got more upside KK or Medvedev?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think KK has a more interesting game. He needs to reign in on UFE though. Medvedev has a solid game, but not interesting, IMO.
I also think Karen has more potential.
However, Medvedev could also improve especially mentally and well as strategically. He has too much of a defensive mentality. It is good to have such strong defense, but needs another approach, because it will not work against all his opponents.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess it was already mentioned, but as time goes Medvedev really looks like Simon v.2. Hope he becomes more agressive and mixes up his game a bit more. So far I prefer KK more and he looks like a better character too.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high:

9. Daniil Medvedev 23y
38. Nicolas Jarry 23y
46. Ugo Humbert 21y
71. Alexander Bublik 22y
80. Corentin Moutet 20y
82. Lyoyd Harris 22y
98. Stdfano Travglia 27y

Last edited:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I guess it was already mentioned, but as time goes Medvedev really looks like Simon v.2. Hope he becomes more agressive and mixes up his game a bit more. So far I prefer KK more and he looks like a better character too.

Oddly enough, even though I agree both are defense oriented -- Simon to proverbial degree -- I really don't think their games resemble each other. Anyway I haven't watch a Simon match in ages... we had a huge Simon fan here on the boards, can't quite remember who it is, all I remember that it was a very fine poster.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is sort of Fedal, sort of ranking, but I see that Rafa is 485 points ahead of Roger for 2 v 3. Leading up to USO, Rafa defends 1000 pts. in Canada, but didn't play Cincy, which is on his schedule this year, so far. Roger defends 600 pts. at Cincy, didn't play Canada, and has said he won't play it this year, either. The #2 ranking going into the USO is fully in play. Nadal's chances of holding onto it are better, if he plays both tune-ups and does reasonably well, but there is room for Fed to pass him.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is sort of Fedal, sort of ranking, but I see that Rafa is 485 points ahead of Roger for 2 v 3. Leading up to USO, Rafa defends 1000 pts. in Canada, but didn't play Cincy, which is on his schedule this year, so far. Roger defends 600 pts. at Cincy, didn't play Canada, and has said he won't play it this year, either. The #2 ranking going into the USO is fully in play. Nadal's chances of holding onto it are better, if he plays both tune-ups and does reasonably well, but there is room for Fed to pass him.

Chances of Roger passing him are negligible considering Roger is playing only in Cincy.

Reactions: Moxie