The Movie Reel

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We watched The Gray Man on Netflix. I thought it was very enjoyable, entertaining, kind of a Bourne-meets-Marvel film, with a great cast, constant forward flow, great humour, nothing that would depress you or scare the hoots out of you. Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans steal the show but the whole cast are very good...

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
Not sure if this movie has been talked about, but it needs to be. It won the Academy Award in 2022. The movie stars Emilia Jones with supporting actors Troy Kotsur, Marlee Matlin, & Daniel Durant. The movie is about a deaf family with one hearing member of the family who is played by Jones. She is torn between helping the family fishing boat business thrive or following her musical dreams and getting into a special musical college. The movie is called CODA and deserved the Academy award. It is one to definitely see.

Reactions: Moxie and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure if this movie has been talked about, but it needs to be. It won the Academy Award in 2022. The movie stars Emilia Jones with supporting actors Troy Kotsur, Marlee Matlin, & Daniel Durant. The movie is about a deaf family with one hearing member of the family who is played by Jones. She is torn between helping the family fishing boat business thrive or following her musical dreams and getting into a special musical college. The movie is called CODA and deserved the Academy award. It is one to definitely see.
I loved Coda and it did deserve the best movie, I have watched it 2 times already

Reactions: Moxie and Hailz

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Saw "Bullet Train" yesterday, and we laughed a lot. Critics being typically a bit snobby about it, but we found it great summer fun. It does start out a bit confusing, as it lays out its baroque plot and large cast of characters, and seems like a Tarantino rip-off, but as you figure out who everyone is, (or decide it doesn't much matter,) the film catches a wave in the second half. The director also made "Deadpool 2," and this one is at least that fun and clever.
Thanks for recommending it. I went to see it yesterday. Liked it. We felt that if 'Snatch' and 'Pulp Fiction' had a baby it would be something like this

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting to see Quentin Tarantino’s personal cast choices for Pulp Fiction. As we know, Travolta played Vincent and Patricia Arquette's sister Rosanna got the part of Jody:

AA832D0A-91CE-4338-B886-C9D5CBA4F8FF.jpeg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw "Amsterdam" yesterday. Reviews have been mixed, but I thought it was generally really good, quirky, funny, fantastically cast and acted, gorgeous looking and worth the price of admission. It's set to lose a lot of money at the box-office, and it will be a sad day for interesting films, if that is so.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I finally got the chance to watch King Richard on Netflix, I really enjoyed the film and think there could be a sequel? Will Smith did deserve his best actor award.

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I already said I loved Licorice Pizza, I think? Anyway, if there were such a category, its soundtrack should win "Mix-tape of the Year."
I finally saw Licorice Pizza last night. I loved it! What an unusual film. The leads are fantastic, and the cameos are absolutely wild. I read no one knew about Bradley Cooper until they shot the scene, and he walked in. Given his role, that was gutsy and brilliant. (And how did the filmmakers not get sued?) If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, I recommend sitting through the end credits while paying close attention to the names of the actors/“actors”. I hope this won’t end up having been Cooper Hoffman’s only role. He’s too good not to make other movies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I finally saw Licorice Pizza last night. I loved it! What an unusual film. The leads are fantastic, and the cameos are absolutely wild. I read no one knew about Bradley Cooper until they shot the scene, and he walked in. Given his role, that was gutsy and brilliant. (And how did the filmmakers not get sued?) If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, I recommend sitting through the end credits while paying close attention to the names of the actors/“actors”. I hope this won’t end up having been Cooper Hoffman’s only role. He’s too good not to make other movies.
I had kind of forgotten about that movie. I should watch it again. I never knew that story about Cooper.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just saw "The Banshees of Inisherin." It is an amazing and devastating film. I'm trying to figure out how to say something, without saying too much. Not that there's a spoiler. It's too subtle for that. It's being billed as a "Black Comedy," I think. And if you saw the two leads in the McDonagh's "In Bruges," which is genius, you might be forgiven for expecting more "comedy" in this one, which is quite a lot more leaning towards the "black." McDonagh also directed "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." If those went dark, then darker, this is the darkest. All of the performances are amazing, the cinematography is gorgeous, and a nod to the set direction and costuming. And Carter Burwell's music. But it's really the script that is like music. Every word is note-perfect. IMO. But I'm curious to hear from @Kieran, when you see it. Not just on the language but on the "Oirishness" of it.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I just saw "The Banshees of Inisherin." It is an amazing and devastating film. I'm trying to figure out how to say something, without saying too much. Not that there's a spoiler. It's too subtle for that. It's being billed as a "Black Comedy," I think. And if you saw the two leads in the McDonagh's "In Bruges," which is genius, you might be forgiven for expecting more "comedy" in this one, which is quite a lot more leaning towards the "black." McDonagh also directed "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." If those went dark, then darker, this is the darkest. All of the performances are amazing, the cinematography is gorgeous, and a nod to the set direction and costuming. And Carter Burwell's music. But it's really the script that is like music. Every word is note-perfect. IMO. But I'm curious to hear from @Kieran, when you see it. Not just on the language but on the "Oirishness" of it.
I saw Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson on Graham Norton last weekend, so I got a feel for it then. It seemed intriguing, and even more so now that I’ve read your review.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We’re haven’t seen that yet. We haven’t actually been to the cinema since before covid, for no reason other than we lost the habit. I know the story on this one, it has something of a dark Greek tragedy about it, and of course, the leading actors are two of the finest actors in the world today. Colin Farrell hardly puts a foot wrong in anything, and Brendan Gleeson is like a character actor from old Hollywood.

I know what you mean about Oirishness, the MacDonagh brothers hail from London but they trade off their Irish inheritance fairly regularly, and sometimes they seem to use Oirishness in a blarney way that Hollywood does, but i think they’re great storytellers too, and In Bruges was certainly a classic film.

And of course there is the peculiarity of life on the islands around Ireland, in some ways similar to the strangeness of some isolated parts of Eastern Europe, or Scandinavia. These islands often have their own distinct cultures, bred in isolation from the rest of the country, over centuries. It’s funny but this new film is the one that we were saying would tempt us down the road to the cinema. Glad you recommended it!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Moxie this is a great review of the film by my go-to reviewer, and an interview with the director too…
I agree with those guys a lot, and enjoyed the interview. I still would caution people about hearing too much. I'll be so interested what you and Tented think, since you're interested. I know that McDonagh is raised in England, which is one of the reasons I ask. I'll just stand by.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I couldn't resist re-watching "Poltergeist" last night, with Halloween coming up, and all. Best haunted house movie ever, IMO.

• Love
Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ha! I DVR’ed it and just finished watching it tonight.
One of my arguments for it as Best Haunted House movie ever is that it's the only one that gives them a perfect reason for not just leaving the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought the first film of this was crap. It was an awful film. I tried for the badass US marine played by Stephen Lang but I shed no tears when he died because it signaled the end to it all. Sentimental, longwinded, racist, hypocritical rubbish. Well made, but a waste of time. Suffered from the typical problem James Cameron has - he wrote it.

Well here comes the sequel:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought the first film of this was crap. It was an awful film. I tried for the badass US marine played by Stephen Lang but I shed no tears when he died because it signaled the end to it all. Sentimental, longwinded, racist, hypocritical rubbish. Well made, but a waste of time. Suffered from the typical problem James Cameron has - he wrote it.

Well here comes the sequel:

I completely agree with you, including on Cameron. In addition, I don't like the animation. To use a technical term, I think it's icky. I suspect you and I will be in the minority on this. PS: I didn't like "Titanic," either.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I completely agree with you, including on Cameron. In addition, I don't like the animation. To use a technical term, I think it's icky. I suspect you and I will be in the minority on this. PS: I didn't like "Titanic," either.
It’s icky, exactly! Like a cheap Disney flick for under fives. The whole thing is bloat. I didn’t like Titanic either, until the ship hit the iceberg. Up until then, all the silly romance stuff was unimportant and irrelevant, totally dull. Billy Zane was a pantomime villain. Once it bashed into the iceberg it improved, mainly because we all knew that this was a terrifying historical tragedy unfolding, so there was an emotional resonance there already, but I suspect there’s a greater film on this subject waiting to be made, an intelligent, well-written one.

I liked Aliens and his terminator films because they’re big blockbuster braindead popcorn extravaganzas. But - his films don’t age well, and that’s largely because special effects don’t age well, the macho one dimensional acting doesn’t age well and without them, what is a James Cameron movie?