"The Andy Murray Problem"

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
He's playing well in IW, won his first set against Canadian, Pospisil quite easily 6-1, but got all bent out of shape with a foot fault call against him! He loses his serve, then smacks his racket on the ground! This guy needs some serious mental help! :nono :puzzled :cover :angel: :dodgy:

Or he just has emotions, like most humans.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Broken_Shoelace said:
Fiero425 said:
He's playing well in IW, won his first set against Canadian, Pospisil quite easily 6-1, but got all bent out of shape with a foot fault call against him! He loses his serve, then smacks his racket on the ground! This guy needs some serious mental help! :nono :puzzled :cover :angel: :dodgy:

Call me inhuman then! You are insulting your opponent by insinuating they don't deserve a point because "I'm so good!" I played the game for over 30 years and treated my opponents with respect even if they were classless and acted like idiots! If I was winning a match that easily, I'd let them have the point! Nadal's the same type of person; will call a challenge even if up 6-1, 5-1! To me that shows his own insecurities to actually make an issue of one bad call; normally being wrong! :nono :puzzled :cover

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
This seems to have become a 'let's criticize and pick apart every little thing that Andy Murray says and does' thread. Not nice. :nono
There isn't a thread like this for any other player. I could start one - lord knows there'd be plenty to say about a lot of players - but that would just be petty.

'Andy did a bit of banter with a friend about some girl who fancied him' - oh my God Andy is a terrible person, stupid and deserves to lose some teeth, apparently! Jeez!

'Andy admits that he needs a coach' - well, fair enough. Earlier in his career he was criticized for not being open enough to coaching. I guess whatever he does, it's wrong.

'Andy got annoyed in a tennis match' - so what? Last time I looked, he didn't kill anyone. And by the way, he won the match! :ras:

There's a thread for Berdych called 'The Berdych Report' - a nice neutral term. This thread is 'the Andy Murray Problem'. No fair! :rolleyes: All the more unfair given Murray is currently ranked 5 places higher than Berdych. In fact, Murray is currently doing better than any tennis player on the planet except for three players, who are all all-time greats. So if Andy Murray has problems, what about the problems of every other tennis player on the planet bar 3 who are ranked ranked below him?!

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Fiero425 said:

Call me inhuman then! You are insulting your opponent by insinuating they don't deserve a point because "I'm so good!" I played the game for over 30 years and treated my opponents with respect even if they were classless and acted like idiots! If I was winning a match that easily, I'd let them have the point! Nadal's the same type of person; will call a challenge even if up 6-1, 5-1! To me that shows his own insecurities to actually make an issue of one bad call; normally being wrong! :nono :puzzled :cover

Fiero, I think you misunderstand. Both Andy and Rafa are very respectful of their opponents. They just want to win every single point - which is a good attitude to have! Maybe it's that attitude which has made them two of the most successful tennis players of their era! Maybe if more players had that attitude, there would have been more upsets of the top guys that you wish would have happened so much! And it's not disrespectful to the other player at all - in fact it's very respectful of their opponent's ability. They are not taking their opponent lightly - they don't want to give their opponent any way to come back into the match. To just 'let someone have the point' is disrespectful - it says 'I'm so good I can even just give you a point and you'll still lose'! It's patronising!

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
This seems to have become a 'let's criticize and pick apart every little thing that Andy Murray says and does' thread. Not nice. :nono
There isn't a thread like this for any other player. I could start one - lord knows there'd be plenty to say about a lot of players - but that would just be petty.

'Andy did a bit of banter with a friend about some girl who fancied him' - oh my God Andy is a terrible person, stupid and deserves to lose some teeth, apparently! Jeez!

'Andy admits that he needs a coach' - well, fair enough. Earlier in his career he was criticized for not being open enough to coaching. I guess whatever he does, it's wrong.

'Andy got annoyed in a tennis match' - so what? Last time I looked, he didn't kill anyone. And by the way, he won the match! :ras:

There's a thread for Berdych called 'The Berdych Report' - a nice neutral term. This thread is 'The Andy Murray Problem'. No fair! All the more unfair given Murray is currently ranked 5 places higher than Berdych. In fact, Murray is currently doing better than any tennis player on the planet except for three players, who are all all-time greats. So if Andy Murray has problems, what about the problems of every other tennis player on the planet, bar 3, who are ranked below him?!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Great Hands said:

Let me address your above concerns one by one.

1. It is ok to do banter with a friend about some girl who fancied him. But it is :nono
to banter about such sensitive issues in a press conference with an interviewer.

2. This is not the first time he or some other player has gone without a coach. Blaming
your losses on lack of a coach after being such an elite player is not in good taste.

3. It is ok to be annoyed during a match. But, often for Andy that annoyment leads to
a loss as opposed to positively influencing him.

p.s. Andy is being picked on because he is a top player that is easy to pick on. To some extent
this shows Andy in good light. Does anyone bother to start a thread on Gulbis being terrible?
People start for ANdy and that shows they care for him, it is a positive thing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ In fairness to Great Hands, though, Murray is far and away the most vilified of the top players. He's somehow easy to kick, and has few defenders, so good on Great Hands for standing by the guy.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great Hands said:

There's a thread for Berdych called 'The Berdych Report' - a nice neutral term. This thread is 'The Andy Murray Problem'. No fair! All the more unfair given Murray is currently ranked 5 places higher than Berdych. In fact, Murray is currently doing better than any tennis player on the planet except for three players, who are all all-time greats. So if Andy Murray has problems, what about the problems of every other tennis player on the planet, bar 3, who are ranked below him?!

Well done post.Do you know I have met Andy Murray personally at the AO a few years back.He gives so much of his time to his fans,a really nice guy to talk to,I also can relate to his dry sense of humor as well.He does cop a lot on this website sad to say.Remember the saying 'People that live in glass houses'.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Great Hands said:

Let me address your above concerns one by one.

1. It is ok to do banter with a friend about some girl who fancied him. But it is :nono
to banter about such sensitive issues in a press conference with an interviewer.

2. This is not the first time he or some other player has gone without a coach. Blaming
your losses on lack of a coach after being such an elite player is not in good taste.

3. It is ok to be annoyed during a match. But, often for Andy that annoyment leads to
a loss as opposed to positively influencing him.

p.s. Andy is being picked on because he is a top player that is easy to pick on. To some extent
this shows Andy in good light. Does anyone bother to start a thread on Gulbis being terrible?
People start for ANdy and that shows they care for him, it is a positive thing.

I get your point about it being a positive thing - i.e. it shows people feel he is worth talking about! :)

However, I do feel Andy can become, unfairly, a bit of 'punching bag' for some people, that's all.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ In fairness to Great Hands, though, Murray is far and away the most vilified of the top players. He's somehow easy to kick, and has few defenders, so good on Great Hands for standing by the guy.

Thanks Moxie! I guess that's it. It's not that I have an issue with him being criticised, I just felt the need to defend him, because, as you say, he doesn't have as many defenders!

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Moxie629 said:

Thanks Moxie! :)

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
fashionista said:
Well done post.Do you know I have met Andy Murray personally at the AO a few years back.He gives so much of his time to his fans,a really nice guy to talk to,I also can relate to his dry sense of humor as well.He does cop a lot on this website sad to say.Remember the saying 'People that live in glass houses'.

Thank you, fashionista! :) That is interesting to hear you have met him! All the feedback I have heard from people who have met him say he is a very nice guy.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hi Great Hands,nice posting about Andy.There's a good few posters on here from t4y board on TF,odd's are Kirijax is the old BGT,she's always had hate for Andy.
Singles Career Titles Andy has 31.
Singles Career Titles Berdych has 10.
Btw Tomas is 2 years older then Andy.
Tomas might not have won as much as Andy,but he still plays good tennis most of the time.
This post is not to put Tomas down,just 2 show Andy has no Problem's.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
That's the first time I browse this thread. I started from the last page and honestly I am not impressed. After what I read on this page I thought, well, maybe Kirijax was in a bad mood and started a thread saying that Andy Murray should be shot in the face.

But I went to the first page and read the OP (always a good practice). It is a compilation of quotes from a Bodo article, and even the thread title is quoted, in reference to the article's title. The OP basically says, "look, Bodo is saying a lot of bad things about Murray".

So, what's the point? This is a tennis forum, and this is a good topic for conversation. It is the best thread in the history of the world? No. It is a completely usual thread, to provoke discussion. And it did. In fact it begun well, the first pages were interesting.

And what if someone does not like (or make fun of) Murray's antics on court? Does it change his results? Some time ago someone started a thread about which body part Murray would grab on his next match. Some people jumped on his defence... c'mon! I made a long list of the body parts he would grab and had a lot of fun. And yet I just voted for Murray to beat Djokovic in their semi.

Can we draw a Murray's caricature (or Federer's, or Nadal's), or that is too great a sin too?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OK, confession time. Of the the top four guys (Fed, Joker, Rafa, Muzza), Murray is my favorite of the four. There I said it. But I will criticize him at times because I get tired of his whining on court. But I'll come out of the closet and say I hope he can win 2 or 3 more slams and get to No. 1 at least for a few weeks. I posted the article because I thought it was interesting that Bodo brought it up in the way that he did.
And for the record, I don't want Murray shot in the face. :cover

Oh and who is BGT? I am a man! If you want I can post proof.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
mrzz said:
That's the first time I browse this thread. I started from the last page and honestly I am not impressed. After what I read on this page I thought, well, maybe Kirijax was in a bad mood and started a thread saying that Andy Murray should be shot in the face.

But I went to the first page and read the OP (always a good practice). It is a compilation of quotes from a Bodo article, and even the thread title is quoted, in reference to the article's title. The OP basically says, "look, Bodo is saying a lot of bad things about Murray".

So, what's the point? This is a tennis forum, and this is a good topic for conversation. It is the best thread in the history of the world? No. It is a completely usual thread, to provoke discussion. And it did. In fact it begun well, the first pages were interesting.

And what if someone does not like (or make fun of) Murray's antics on court? Does it change his results? Some time ago someone started a thread about which body part Murray would grab on his next match. Some people jumped on his defence... c'mon! I made a long list of the body parts he would grab and had a lot of fun. And yet I just voted for Murray to beat Djokovic in their semi.

Can we draw a Murray's caricature (or Federer's, or Nadal's), or that is too great a sin too?

Just to clarify my position, I did read the original post - I realise the title refers to Bodo's views. Note that in my earlier post, I said: "This seems to have become a 'let's criticize and pick apart every little thing that Andy Murray says and does' thread" - i.e. I was saying that a thread title like 'The Berdych Report', for comparison, invited both positive and negative comments, but the title 'The Andy Murray Problem', a thread title that is a quote from Bodo, and started as a discussion of this, then seemed to become the default thread for discussing Murray, but with a negative title that invites only negative comments, even though that was not part of the original poster's intention, hence the use of the word 'become'.
I've read every post in this thread, and have been posting in it from time to time throughout. It has provoked some interesting discussion on both sides. I like Andy Murray as a player, and he seems, by all accounts, to be a decent person, so I was just attempting to balance out all the negativity by defending him. I noted that there isn't a 'let's criticise x player' thread about any other player, which is true. However, I never said people can't have their own opinions on Andy, or that it is a sin. And others have the right to say I am wrong to defend him, as they have. And others have said I was right to. It's all debate, which is cool. :)

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kirijax said:
OK, confession time. Of the the top four guys (Fed, Joker, Rafa, Muzza), Murray is my favorite of the four. There I said it. But I will criticize him at times because I get tired of his whining on court. But I'll come out of the closet and say I hope he can win 2 or 3 more slams and get to No. 1 at least for a few weeks. I posted the article because I thought it was interesting that Bodo brought it up in the way that he did.

Hi Kirijax - I have always understood that the title 'The Andy Murray Problem' was in reference to Bodo's article. My recent post was not an attempt to criticize you - your thread about Berdych is cool, and this thread has some interesting debate in it. I was just reading all the recent criticisms of Andy in the thread - none of which were by you - made under the umbrella of that thread title - and it made me want to defend Andy, that's all. :)

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Great Hands said:
Kirijax said:

Hi Kirijax - I have always understood that the title 'The Andy Murray Problem' was in reference to Bodo's article. My recent post was not an attempt to criticize you - your thread about Berdych is cool, and this thread has some interesting debate in it. I was just reading all the recent criticisms of Andy in the thread - none of which were by you - made under the umbrella of that thread title - and it made me want to defend Andy, that's all. :)

No worries. I want to like Murray. I do but sometimes I just wanna arrghhh. I would love to see him grab a couple of slams this year and get to that No. 1 ranking, even if it is only as long as Pat Rafter.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
sid said:
Hi Great Hands,nice posting about Andy.There's a good few posters on here from t4y board on TF,odd's are Kirijax is the old BGT,she's always had hate for Andy.
Singles Career Titles Andy has 31.
Singles Career Titles Berdych has 10.
Btw Tomas is 2 years older then Andy.
Tomas might not have won as much as Andy,but he still plays good tennis most of the time.
This post is not to put Tomas down,just 2 show Andy has no Problem's.

Hi Sid - thanks! :)
And see Kirijax's post above - he's a he, and he doesn't hate Andy!