Serious PC thread

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I want to go to Connemara. Pony-spotting would be nice. Are there any pipers & accordionists playing trad. Irish music? Lol. (I know Irish people play their own version of the bagpipes which aren't blown.)
We have the uilleann pipe, which I prefer to the bagpipes for two reasons - neither of them local pride. Firstly, it’s a complex instrument in which the player squeezes a bellows under his arm, while also using fingerwork to turn it all into music, but the beauty of it is that it fits in perfectly with other trad music instruments in Irish dance and songs. It’s quite a strong instrument and recently we saw a concert in Dublin where the fiddler was the main draw, but once the piper came on it became like a duel which the fiddler couldn’t win. The pipes were soaring in melody while also huffing in low rhythm. The face on the piper was comical because he knew that although he looked like a sailor wrestling with a squawking octopus, he was outplaying the fiddler.

Second reason is that I prefer the sounds of it to the bagpipes. It’s not so overwhelming. I hope you get to Connemara sometime. There are many islands along the west of Ireland and they each have their schools and specialties. Schools not in the formal sense, but in the tradition of handing down knowledge of things relating to poetry and music. I think you’d love it!

Reactions: mrzz and Horsa

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It'll be difficult to shake off because so many visitors will have the Guinness brewery and Temple Bar as part of the itinerary. Kind of a self-fulfilling perception.

Ireland gets more beautiful once you get out of Dublin in my experience.
Yeah Dublin is an excellent but expensive place to visit for a weekend. Pubs, galleries, castles, trains along the coast, more pubs, then winding off the day in a pub. In fairness, the pubs are great. Very expensive in the tourist trap called Temple Bar, where a pint can cost a euro more than it does across the road. But it’s a fantastic city, and yeah, people know how to let their hair down there. I’ll be doing that myself tomorrow night!

We live in Wicklow now, and it’s stunning. A lot of Ireland is. Green and lush, with some great villages and small towns. I imagine parts of England and Scotland and wales look similar. A lot of classic British architecture in Ireland, which only enhances its beauty…

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
We have the uilleann pipe, which I prefer to the bagpipes for two reasons - neither of them local pride. Firstly, it’s a complex instrument in which the player squeezes a bellows under his arm, while also using fingerwork to turn it all into music, but the beauty of it is that it fits in perfectly with other trad music instruments in Irish dance and songs. It’s quite a strong instrument and recently we saw a concert in Dublin where the fiddler was the main draw, but once the piper came on it became like a duel which the fiddler couldn’t win. The pipes were soaring in melody while also huffing in low rhythm. The face on the piper was comical because he knew that although he looked like a sailor wrestling with a squawking octopus, he was outplaying the fiddler.

Second reason is that I prefer the sounds of it to the bagpipes. It’s not so overwhelming. I hope you get to Connemara sometime. There are many islands along the west of Ireland and they each have their schools and specialties. Schools not in the formal sense, but in the tradition of handing down knowledge of things relating to poetry and music. I think you’d love it!
Thank you very much for the information. I knew about your pipes but couldn't spell the name. I love all forms of pipe & they're my favourite instrument. I've seen them being played. Secondly, I love accordions which are often played in Ireland so I heard.

Thank you very much. I get you. I would love it. I'd also like to do the Oscar Wilde & Yeats trail as well as where Patrick Bronte came from.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah Dublin is an excellent but expensive place to visit for a weekend. Pubs, galleries, castles, trains along the coast, more pubs, then winding off the day in a pub. In fairness, the pubs are great. Very expensive in the tourist trap called Temple Bar, where a pint can cost a euro more than it does across the road. But it’s a fantastic city, and yeah, people know how to let their hair down there. I’ll be doing that myself tomorrow night!

We live in Wicklow now, and it’s stunning. A lot of Ireland is. Green and lush, with some great villages and small towns. I imagine parts of England and Scotland and wales look similar. A lot of classic British architecture in Ireland, which only enhances its beauty…

Loved Wicklow for the most part. It's a long time ago but recall staying in Avoca - I believe it was the centerpiece for a British TV Series - Ballykissangel. A meeting place of the rivers. Delightful place. Got bad vibes from Blessington - can't explain why, other than we need to leave this place.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is worth watching. I love the idea:

That’s very good, and interesting that he moderated that seemingly private discussion, prompting me to think that finally even Hollywood is waking up to the weirdness of the woke. The award idea is great! I’m starting to sense a backlash might be gathering steam…

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Social media is a doorway to many good and bad things--and this stuff is definitely the bad. Just horrifying.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Love to see it. I rather suspect this is exaggerated but I’m pretty sure a fair poll would be nearly as decisive

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
On the issue of abortion,
I think your abortion issue has to be solved by legislation. Courts don’t set laws, they interpret them. Laws should be set by legislators. So in that sense, Roe v Wade was a bad thing and everybody should be happy it’s gone.
Are women being "replaced?" By verbiage? Give me a break.
Does ‘verbiage’ mean ‘men?’ You’re not being replaced, by the way - you’re being erased. Any feminist worth their salt should be alert to the dangers of this, instead of shrugging it off because it’s their team who sponsor it…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
IMG_9656.jpeg

Roughly translated as, “me me me me me look at me me me me me change the whole world for me me me me me I’m precious but enough about me me me me me what do YOU think of me me me!?..”

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think your abortion issue has to be solved by legislation. Courts don’t set laws, they interpret them. Laws should be set by legislators. So in that sense, Roe v Wade was a bad thing and everybody should be happy it’s gone.
It has long been discussed here in the US, on all sides, that the way abortion became a right in this country made it vulnerable, as finally did come to pass, but I disagree that it was bad. The problem with deciding abortion by legislation, at this moment in time, is that partisan legislators are pushing through laws that much of the country, and people in their states, don't agree with. And courts are still trying to set the limits of things, if you're not familiar with the Texas judge who has banned the "abortion pill." A lot of these new laws, and judgements from the bench, are having profound and deleterious affects, as I got into a bit above. But I'm ok if you're not interesting in discussing that.
Does ‘verbiage’ mean ‘men?’ You’re not being replaced, by the way - you’re being erased. Any feminist worth their salt should be alert to the dangers of this, instead of shrugging it off because it’s their team who sponsor it…
You know what "verbiage" means, and you described some yourself: "people with cervixes," and "pregnant people," I think were two of your examples. I am going to agree with you that some of that is a bit ridiculous, and bends itself over backwards to accommodate the very small minority of trans-men that may be pregnant. Let's face it: most people with cervixes consider themselves to be women, and most people who find themselves pregnant likewise consider themselves to be women. Sometimes language sensitivity tips a bit far, but language tends to settle on what works. As a counter to your language worries, consider this, (though I don't know how terms changed in Ireland, so you may not be able to answer in the way a man in the US would): some time in the 70s, we, in the US began to replace male-centric words with gender-neutral ones: "chairperson" for "chairman," "spokesperson" for "spokesman," etc. Those were good choices, in order to make women feel more included in the workplace, in particular, and went some way to aiding women. Did it "erase" men? It did not. Other terms that overreached, like "her-story" for "history" never caught on, which is all well and good.

You're telling me I'm being "erased," even though I'm telling you I'm not. You're also telling me that I'm not worth my "salt" as a feminist if I don't consider this a danger, just because it outrages you. At the risk of causing offense, you are kind of "mansplaining" to me, which I will say is offending me, a bit. You're trying to alert me to a "danger" which I have already told you does not seem like one to me, and you're telling me/us what proper feminists "ought" to be concerned about. It's your right to have your concerns, but I think it goes a bit far to judge me that I don't share them, especially as I have explained why. What I AM concerned about is the imminent threat to women's health and well-being in the US, which I think is very real, and not a passing phase. I do genuinely fear it's going to "erase" some women by killing them.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It has long been discussed here in the US, on all sides, that the way abortion became a right in this country made it vulnerable, as finally did come to pass, but I disagree that it was bad. The problem with deciding abortion by legislation, at this moment in time, is that partisan legislators are pushing through laws that much of the country, and people in their states, don't agree with. And courts are still trying to set the limits of things, if you're not familiar with the Texas judge who has banned the "abortion pill." A lot of these new laws, and judgements from the bench, are having profound and deleterious affects, as I got into a bit above. But I'm ok if you're not interesting in discussing that.

Partisan legislators? Do you have anything in America that’s not partisan? Anything at all? Ice cream? Beer? Sportswear? Is there anything in America not infected by partisan politics? And yet, even if you’re right about the negatives of legislation you don’t like, it doesn’t change the fact that unelected judges, should not be making laws. Because they can be partisan too. This has always been considered bizarre in Europe, where we elect people to govern. We may not like their decisions - and so then we vote them out. And though I don’t follow things too closely with regards to American politics, I have seen it said here that republicans suffered in the midterms because votes they had counted on went against them due to the abortion issue.

That’s how it should be.
You know what "verbiage" means, and you described some yourself: "people with cervixes," and "pregnant people," I think were two of your examples. I am going to agree with you that some of that is a bit ridiculous, and bends itself over backwards to accommodate the very small minority of trans-men that may be pregnant. Let's face it: most people with cervixes consider themselves to be women, and most people who find themselves pregnant likewise consider themselves to be women. Sometimes language sensitivity tips a bit far, but language tends to settle on what works. As a counter to your language worries, consider this, (though I don't know how terms changed in Ireland, so you may not be able to answer in the way a man in the US would): some time in the 70s, we, in the US began to replace male-centric words with gender-neutral ones: "chairperson" for "chairman," "spokesperson" for "spokesman," etc. Those were good choices, in order to make women feel more included in the workplace, in particular, and went some way to aiding women. Did it "erase" men? It did not. Other terms that overreached, like "her-story" for "history" never caught on, which is all well and good.

Language is important. It’s a tool we use to accurately describe things, and I’m sure George Orwell has a billion quotes about how if you control the language you control the minds. So it’s not the same as changing chairman to chairperson because if the person in the chair is a woman then she can’t be the chairman. That’s actually an example of language being used to clarify something. It couldn’t erase men, because it wasn’t referring to a man. And to use these terms to better reflect reality isn’t the same as using terms to better dismantle reality.

Being truthful matters, and yet we’re being told, cajoled, and threatened into believing something that isn’t true. You even did a bit of it there yourself when you said ‘a very small minority of trans men might be pregnant’.

These are women you’re talking about. They’re not men. Men cannot become pregnant.

And when you said that ‘most people with cervixes consider themselves to be women, and most people who find themselves pregnant likewise consider themselves to be women,’ you were talking about people who are women, no matter what they consider themselves to be.

They are women. The truth is important, and yet not only are we’re being threatened to believe lies, we’re being forced openly repeat lies. No civilisation can survive if it decides to replace the truth with lies. You might as well be forcing children to believe that 2+2=5. You’ll have a nation of cowering idiots once you go that route.

When you dismiss all this violence against women and abuse of little little kids by left wing activists as ‘verbiage’ you’ve only done what activists and partisans have done since time immemorial. They try to make their destructiveness seem as though it’s nothing, it’s not a big deal. You’ve shown yourself resistant to ‘the other side’ on this and that’s because you’re not willing to accept that the abuse is being brought to us by your brand of partisans.
You're also telling me that I'm not worth my "salt" as a feminist if I don't consider this a danger, just because it outrages you. At the risk of causing offense, you are kind of "mansplaining" to me, which I will say is offending me, a bit. You're trying to alert me to a "danger" which I have already told you does not seem like one to me, and you're telling me/us what proper feminists "ought" to be concerned about. It's your right to have your concerns, but I think it goes a bit far to judge me that I don't share them, especially as I have explained why. What I AM concerned about is the imminent threat to women's health and well-being in the US, which I think is very real, and not a passing phase. I do genuinely fear it's going to "erase" some women by killing them.
You’ve never explained why you think that activists abusing young children and attacking women at marches where they demand to be heard as women is not something that feminists should be concerned about. In fact, you take the side of the oppressors.

And by the way, using the word ‘mansplaining’ sounds like evasive verbiage. I’m not telling women how they should insert a tampax. I’m talking about things which affect the whole of society, men included…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you really claiming that creating gender neutral verbiage is the same thing as assigning the wrong gender pronoun to a person? Please answer @Moxie, this is a serious question.

Reactions: Kieran

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You're telling me I'm being "erased," even though I'm telling you I'm not.
That’s an interesting observation. @Jelenafan and I were recently debating some students being offended on behalf of Mexicans. Do you have the same perspective on that?

Reactions: Kieran
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540