Serious PC thread

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm British.
Exactly. I think that if you’re not from the mess of nations on ‘the continent’, we tend to think of ourselves as being apart from it. In the landmass mistakenly called Continental Europe, it wasn’t uncommon for Germans to visit their neighbours and stay there as unwelcome guests. It’s similar to how we have so many Russians in Ukraine and the Baltics. And so because the UK and - by extension - Ireland were never invaded (well, not for a long time), there’s always that sense of difference which is a real difference, because we had less mingling of natives and cultures with others.

Ireland wasn’t even invaded by the Romans. We had our Viking invasion a long time ago, and then of course the Brits and a messy relationship there, but growing up, the Irish had more affinity with the Brits than the Germans, for instance. We have so much more in common…

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Exactly. I think that if you’re not from the mess of nations on ‘the continent’, we tend to think of ourselves as being apart from it. In the landmass mistakenly called Continental Europe, it wasn’t uncommon for Germans to visit their neighbours and stay there as unwelcome guests. It’s similar to how we have so many Russians in Ukraine and the Baltics. And so because the UK and - by extension - Ireland were never invaded (well, not for a long time), there’s always that sense of difference which is a real difference, because we had less mingling of natives and cultures with others.

Ireland wasn’t even invaded by the Romans. We had our Viking invasion a long time ago, and then of course the Brits and a messy relationship there, but growing up, the Irish had more affinity with the Brits than the Germans, for instance. We have so much more in common…
I have got 1 lot of Norman-French ancestors but as most of my ancestors are Scots/Irish & English I think I can ignore the Norman-French ancestry & class myself as British.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I'm not completely English. I'm more Scots/Irish than English so would prefer to be referred to as a Brit.

Lol. No, I didn't get it. Why is Brazilian offensive? Lol. Argue amongst yourself & don't forget what is common knowledge to some people isn't always common knowledge to others. There are some things that I think are common knowledge & other people aren't aware of. Lol.

Why is it offensive? Good question. I'll think of something and let you know, you Scqitrish Brit.

Reactions: Kieran and Horsa

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I’m Irish. I don’t consider myself European, or of I ever do, it’s a distant second. This is how Irish people think.

:popcorn

No, no, no. You need to sound really offended for this thing to really work out. Should we start again? Should I explain to you what is Ireland is all about, from all I learned from Hollywood movies? I can even do the accent.

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Kieran

Horsa

Reactions
Why is it offensive? Good question. I'll think of something and let you know, you Scqitrish Brit.
You find it offensive but can't come up with an answer immediately. You actually have to think. I don't know. (I'm shaking my head here.) Lol.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No, no, no. You need to sound really offended for this thing to really work out. Should we start again? Should I explain to you what is Ireland is all about, from all I learned from Hollywood movies? I can even do the accent.
That’s one the funniest part of America’s attempts to film Irish people. The accents. They’re atrocious. They even had Pierce Brosnan (Irish) do an Irish accent and he couldn’t, it’s been so long since he was home. Generally Hollywood films have the same impression of Ireland as Joe Biden seems to have, obsessing about armchair Republican stuff, the troubled sod of turf, etc. When Biden said “I maybe Irish but I’m not stupid,” I thought, both propositions in that sentence are dubious…

Reactions: mrzz

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That’s one the funniest part of America’s attempts to film Irish people. The accents. They’re atrocious. They even had Pierce Brosnan (Irish) do an Irish accent and he couldn’t, it’s been so long since he was home. Generally Hollywood films have the same impression of Ireland as Joe Biden seems to have, obsessing about armchair Republican stuff, the troubled sod of turf, etc. When Biden said “I maybe Irish but I’m not stupid,” I thought, both propositions in that sentence are dubious…
Are you now going to tell me that not all Irish drink like fish and the neighborhood pub is basically not their pied a terre? I thought all of that was factually proven.... ; )

Reactions: Horsa

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you now going to tell me that not all Irish drink like fish and the neighborhood pub is basically not their pied a terre? I thought all of that was factually proven.... ; )
In jokes and humour it’s ‘proven’, in real life, you should visit and find out…

Reactions: Horsa

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I have friends visiting from the UK and I had to arrange for us to all go gold panning (??!!), apparently I live in the Wild, Wild West.
Better watch out for the Indians! They are at least as dangerous as the Pakistanians.

• Haha

Horsa

Reactions
I want to go to Connemara. Pony-spotting would be nice. Are there any pipers & accordionists playing trad. Irish music? Lol. (I know Irish people play their own version of the bagpipes which aren't blown.)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It'll be difficult to shake off because so many visitors will have the Guinness brewery and Temple Bar as part of the itinerary. Kind of a self-fulfilling perception.

Ireland gets more beautiful once you get out of Dublin in my experience.

Horsa

Reactions
It'll be difficult to shake off because so many visitors will have the Guinness brewery and Temple Bar as part of the itinerary. Kind of a self-fulfilling perception.

Ireland gets more beautiful once you get out of Dublin in my experience.
Connemara would be stop 1 for me. (I would like to go to Dublin too though.)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Connemara would be stop 1 for me. (I would like to go to Dublin too though.)

Dublin is definitely worth a visit. My main point was that many visitors come for a drinking experience... and if that's what you're looking for, then you'll enjoy it (done that itinerary a few times - preseason football tours with Liverpool playing at the old Landsdown Road, Stag Weekends etc) and if that's all you do, then that will be your perception of Dublin.

But Dublin is an ancient city with lots to offer, and once you get outside there is a beautiful country to explore. I actually went on honeymoon to Ireland - started in Dublin and then headed south into Wicklow. Her paternal family line are all from Waterford and either worked at the crystal works or were farmers. Friendly people, great place.

My parents actually went on honeymoon to Ireland too - but they spent more time on the other coast (Cork etc).

Horsa

Reactions
Dublin is definitely worth a visit. My main point was that many visitors come for a drinking experience... and if that's what you're looking for, then you'll enjoy it (done that itinerary a few times - preseason football tours with Liverpool playing at the old Landsdown Road, Stag Weekends etc) and if that's all you do, then that will be your perception of Dublin.

But Dublin is an ancient city with lots to offer, and once you get outside there is a beautiful country to explore. I actually went on honeymoon to Ireland - started in Dublin and then headed south into Wicklow. Her paternal family line are all from Waterford and either worked at the crystal works or were farmers. Friendly people, great place.
I know. I wouldn't want to go for drinking though. I'd want to see Connemara ponies in the wild then see beautiful places & listen to trad. Irish music live & see some of the places mentioned in the songs as well as places with Bronte connections. (Going to see crystal being made would be nice though. I have seen crystal being made before though in Penicuik when Edinburgh crystal works was still running.)

Your honeymoon sounds as if it was nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran and britbox
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540