Serious PC thread

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Please just read my original post once again, slow. I am NOT saying it is acceptable. I am asking a question. Here is the question: How bad can a word be if a 40 million people , the people that should be MOST OFFENDED by it are free to use it? Just answer that question for me. I don't use the word, I do not encourage the use of the word, I do not find the word acceptable. Just answer my question above.
Are you SLOW or What...it's a dumbass way to try to slide that word into culture..

Is it okay to call my Asian friends Chinks or slopes, or Mexican friends Wetbacks or Jews 'Hymie because they may refer to each other as Heeb or Jewboy..

My daughter once that it was okay to say the word A-RAB.. because her friend from work says that about herself and her relatives. I told her No and I had her speak with one of my friends from the tennis club who is of Middle Eastern ethic background. He told her no although he is her Godfather he said that other races have historically tried to get away with saying that word in front of him to separate him from his peers at work and socially..

Again. This is one person whom saw through your endeavor although it may have been culture ignorance on your behalf.

I don't give a Damm if you care about what I wrote.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Please just read my original post once again, slow. I am NOT saying it is acceptable. I am asking a question. Here is the question: How bad can a word be if a 40 million people , the people that should be MOST OFFENDED by it are free to use it? Just answer that question for me. I don't use the word, I do not encourage the use of the word, I do not find the word acceptable. Just answer my question above.
because they are taking ownership of it. Hope that ends this topic

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Are you SLOW or What...it's a dumbass way to try to slide that word into culture..

Is it okay to call my Asian friends Chinks or slopes, or Mexican friends Wetbacks or Jews 'Hymie because they may refer to each other as Heeb or Jewboy..

My daughter once that it was okay to say the word A-RAB.. because her friend from work says that about herself and her relatives. I told her No and I had her speak with one of my friends from the tennis club who is of Middle Eastern ethic background. He told her no although he is her Godfather he said that other races have historically tried to get away with saying that word in front of him to separate him from his peers at work and socially..

Again. This is one person whom saw through your endeavor although it may have been culture ignorance on your behalf.

I don't give a Damm if you care about what I wrote.
You obviously are not getting it so I am not going to bother.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
You were out of pocket. Just own it and then move on
Whatever floats your boat man. You don't know me, I don't know you. You don't understand where I am coming from. It's fine. You seem to blame me for a word that I never use or do not let be used around me, but you are comfortable with its use by others. Next, you will blame me for rap or whatever. I would rather you apologize for calling me names and move on.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Whatever floats your boat man. You don't know me, I don't know you. You don't understand where I am coming from. It's fine. You seem to blame me for a word that I never use or do not let be used around me, but you are comfortable with its use by others. Next, you will blame me for rap or whatever. I would rather you apologize for calling me names and move on.
No..you just thought you could just slide in the N word and think.."ok it's Fab to begin to say that or using the word"..now you want to change the narrative like some scared bitch.. trying to now pass it off as being acceptable in other music genre. Quit changing the name..Own it. You said it and you tried to make it a topic. That makes you a dumbass

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
No..you just thought you could just slide in the N word and think.."ok it's Fab to begin to say that or using the word"..now you want to change the narrative like some scared bitch.. trying to now pass it off as being acceptable in other music genre. Quit changing the name..Own it. You said it and you tried to make it a topic. That makes you a dumbass

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
So my original post says "Just so there is no misunderstanding, I do not like the word, I do not use the word, I do not promote its use...I just do not understand why people that are most hurt by it keep on using it. Does not compute... "
And from that you get that I am trying to "slide in the N word" and keep hurling insults. I will try to stay civil as I am all the time but please do not answer me or talk to me. Put me on your ignore list and move on.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
So my original post says "Just so there is no misunderstanding, I do not like the word, I do not use the word, I do not promote its use...I just do not understand why people that are most hurt by it keep on using it. Does not compute... "
And from that you get that I am trying to "slide in the N word" and keep hurling insults. I will try to stay civil as I am all the time but please do not answer me or talk to me. Put me on your ignore list and move on.
Here's a non insult. Did someone force you to post that comment in regards to the N word? Did you think everyone on this board was gonna give you a pass or that you were enlighten this board with your perception of what may be acceptable? You wrote it , you posted it. I will talk to you until you OWN it because you "said it can't be that bad'.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hey I have a suggestion..Take public transportation, find a very large Man and ask him if him if it would be okay for you to call him the N word or better yet, ask someone at your place of employment..I think you should try it for yourself instead of hiding behind the post of internet board forum..
Nothing more from me

tented

Administrator
Reactions
because they are taking ownership of it. Hope that ends this topic

Something, I admit, I don’t completely understand. I have gay friends who call each other the F word. I don’t refer to myself that way, or call others that either. But if a non-gay person calls them that, they’re insulted. So what are they “owning”? Why wouldn’t gays simply not use it? Or blacks not use the N word?

Reactions: mrzz

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Hey I have a suggestion..Take public transportation, find a very large Man and ask him if him if it would be okay for you to call him the N word or better yet, ask someone at your place of employment..I think you should try it for yourself instead of hiding behind the post of internet board forum..
Nothing more from me
Your suggestion makes zero sense because I do not use the word , EVER. I am Turkish, I am lucky enough to live in Toronto where I have friends literally from every culture or creed. We talk about these issues all the time with them. In my previous work, I have talked about this stuff with my black friends. I do have a real life , no worries. My friends were divided. Some totally hate the use of the word, even within the black community, and others were fine with it as long as it was within the community. That is curious to me because if like Federedberg said, blacks have taken ownership of the word, how come they are themselves so divided on the issue? I have zero stake in this, all I have been trying to do is to ppint to a very curious social issue and try to find answers, just like Tented is doing with his post above. Not one person ever thought I was trying to do something sinister before you. Any chance you may have overreacted?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Something, I admit, I don’t completely understand. I have gay friends who call each other the F word. I don’t refer to myself that way, or call others that either. But if a non-gay person calls them that, they’re insulted. So what are they “owning”? Why wouldn’t gays simply not use it? Or blacks not use the N word?
They are repurposing the word for their own uses. By taking ownership of it they recycle it into something else. The community is not a monolith so it's irrelevant whether some agree or not. I'm not sure why you bring gays into this. It's a faulty parallel. We're talking about almost four centuries of slavery, Jim Crow, and general discrimination. This was the iconic descriptive used to diminish an entire race for centuries, there isn't a single word used against gays that has that sort of longevity. Now a community has taken the word back. And every year their ownership of the word diminishes its pejorative context

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Listen to what Skip Bayless says about the ugly history of the N word...
Your suggestion makes zero sense because I do not use the word , EVER. I am Turkish, I am lucky enough to live in Toronto where I have friends literally from every culture or creed. We talk about these issues all the time with them. In my previous work, I have talked about this stuff with my black friends. I do have a real life , no worries. My friends were divided. Some totally hate the use of the word, even within the black community, and others were fine with it as long as it was within the community. That is curious to me because if like Federedberg said, blacks have taken ownership of the word, how come they are themselves so divided on the issue? I have zero stake in this, all I have been trying to do is to ppint to a very curious social issue and try to find answers, just like Tented is doing with his post above. Not one person ever thought I was trying to do something sinister before you. Any chance you may have overreacted?
"Not one person...". That's not true..I have spoken to several posters on this board and they share the same sentiments that I do.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
They are repurposing the word for their own uses. By taking ownership of it they recycle it into something else. The community is not a monolith so it's irrelevant whether some agree or not. I'm not sure why you bring gays into this. It's a faulty parallel. We're talking about almost four centuries of slavery, Jim Crow, and general discrimination. This was the iconic descriptive used to diminish an entire race for centuries, there isn't a single word used against gays that has that sort of longevity. Now a community has taken the word back. And every year their ownership of the word diminishes its pejorative context

I mentioned gays simply because there has been a reclaiming of the F-word within some of the (also non-monolithic) community. This is partly clouded, I suspect, because people in the US only use that word in a highly insulting manner (never to mean a cigarette, or anything else), which is why I don’t understand why some use it with each other, while not wanting others to use it.

To be clear, I wasn’t trying to equate historical treatment. Clearly the history of slavery and racism are worse than anything I can think of. Nevertheless there are insulting words for other groups, as @the AntiPusher mentioned previously: “Is it okay to call my Asian friends Chinks or slopes, or Mexican friends Wetbacks or Jews 'Hymie because they may refer to each other as Heeb or Jewboy.” I would add “kike” to that list — a word solely associated with Jews (a group with a long history of mistreatment and discrimination), and used exclusively in a highly insulting manner.

For the N-word, I found this in an online dictionary, which includes this section: “There have been efforts by those of African descent to reclaim the word (especially in the form nigga), but these efforts are controversial and some people do not believe it is able to be reclaimed due to its fraught history and continued derogatory usage.[5] Regardless, usage by non-blacks is still almost invariably considered highly offensive.”

For the F-word, I found this: “In North America, fag is often considered highly offensive, although some gay people have tried to reclaim it.”

As I see it, reclaiming only ultimately reinforces these words, separating instead of bringing people together, which I think is what @Murat Baslamisli has also been discussing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
As I see it, reclaiming only ultimately reinforces these words, separating instead of bringing people together, which I think is what @Murat Baslamisli has also been discussing.
They use it amongst themselves. They are reclaiming it's meaning for themselves. You might not see it, but I'm telling you that's how they see it....

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Chris Matthews bites the dust. Another victim of the Metoo movement. FFS what next are we going to revisit MLK out of his historical context because of his infidelities?? I've no doubt some of the women who he interacted with took exception to his advances...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Chris Matthews bites the dust. Another victim of the Metoo movement. FFS what next are we going to revisit MLK out of his historical context because of his infidelities?? I've no doubt some of the women who he interacted with took exception to his advances...
I read some of the things that Chris was accused of..Yes It may have been inappropriate and somewhat flirtatious, I don't agree that he should have resigned.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
They use it amongst themselves. They are reclaiming it's meaning for themselves. You might not see it, but I'm telling you that's how they see it....

Federberg..I am just going to make it brief..Ice Cube is an entertainer but he doesn't speak for the majority of Blacks, Latins, folks of American Indian heritage or etc..

When you say "but I'm telling you that's how they see it..". Explain please who is 'they" and why is it so important that you say "but I'm telling you"?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540