Serious PC thread

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If it’s sexual predation you’re worried about, I don’t think that would be a problem. Pedophiles hunt other people’s children, not their own. I don’t recall ever hearing of a pedophile having successfully adopted a child.

If I were a social worker, and a single man or woman came to me and said they wanted to adopt, my main concern would be whether or not they’re capable of handling everything a child needs. Chances are they work full-time, so who would take care of their kid when they’re working? Do they have the financial resources to handle all of this?

I disagree mate. Most sexual abuse comes from someone from within their own family.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I disagree mate. Most sexual abuse comes from someone from within their own family.

You may be right. I haven’t researched it, but at the very least I’m unaware of an instance of it happening with an adopted child. That would have been headline news. But I also may be completely wrong about all of this.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You may be right. I haven’t researched it, but at the very least I’m unaware of an instance of it happening with an adopted child. That would have been headline news. But I also may be completely wrong about all of this.

I'm going off what might wife used to tell me when she worked for the childrens rights service in the local council.

This is interesting reading though:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/12-c...child-sexual-abuse_b_587dab01e4b0740488c3de49

According to this, 50% of abuse for children under 6 is by family members, and 23% from 12-17.

95% is from people they know or trust.

90% of perpetrators are male.

Children living outside of their biological parents are 10 times more likely to be abused.

Reactions: mrzz and tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Children living outside of their biological parents are 10 times more likely to be abused.

I don't doubt this stat, but you can't let it stand alone without thinking about it. Children that are living outside of circumstances with their biological parents are generally unwanted by those parents, who are unwilling/unable to care for them, or are dead. Often times a family member, usually a grandmother/grandparents step(s) in. But a lot of those children go into the "system." Not all children are good candidates for adoption...either too old, or unwell are the main reasons. Or not being white. Orphanages and foster care are rampant with abuse. Adoptive homes much less so, if for no other reason than the level of commitment, and the screening process.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lest we think that the "far left" has the lock on wacky and outrageous POVs, how about this guy? Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) asks where civilization would be without rape and incest, anyway? This was the guy who stated, a couple of years ago, that, in a "legitimate rape," women's bodies had a way of "dealing with it." Pretty kooky stuff:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...Mja-iZKePw6sFXMcXSJ8607CjdeVjcQSWlCcLGvkf9nWY

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
topical....

So curious to know what you think about this, as it's in your country. It does seem that there is a distinction between teaching understanding about diversity and "sexualizing children," as one of the protesters put it. Also seems that this is not a new program...only just now being politicized. What do you think?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So curious to know what you think about this, as it's in your country. It does seem that there is a distinction between teaching understanding about diversity and "sexualizing children," as one of the protesters put it. Also seems that this is not a new program...only just now being politicized. What do you think?
it's the sort of news that gets temperatures to rise. But then when you dig into the details you realise that there isn't any indoctrination going on, and the extremists are exaggerating what's actually going on. I think the protesters objections are more cultural than a genuine concern for any harm to children. Don't get me wrong, I'm not enthused about this sort of stuff being introduced into curriculums at really young ages. I still believe that collaboration between schools and parents is the best way to go about these things, but not every child is brought up in a home where parents are properly involved. It's a conundrum...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Right?! The Republican machine isn't supporting him in re-election bid, but hopefully Iowans won't, either.
I get the dilemma voters often have with an appalling choice (I suspect I'll go through the same thing when a general election gets triggered sometime this year :(). But unless the Democrat is advocating some really bad shit I can't see how anyone can vote for this guy and claim they don't support his views

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
it's the sort of news that gets temperatures to rise. But then when you dig into the details you realise that there isn't any indoctrination going on, and the extremists are exaggerating what's actually going on. I think the protesters objections are more cultural than a genuine concern for any harm to children. Don't get me wrong, I'm not enthused about this sort of stuff being introduced into curriculums at really young ages. I still believe that collaboration between schools and parents is the best way to go about these things, but not every child is brought up in a home where parents are properly involved. It's a conundrum...
That was the impression I was getting from your video. As to your bolded above, I'm not sure what you mean about "this sort of thing." If you're just teaching young kids about people from different groups, including same-sex marriages, different religions and ethnic groups, minorities, etc., it's nothing more than exposure, which, I think we all know, helps with promoting tolerance, when they are exposed at an early age. No one has to talk to small children about sex at all. My first sex ed class came at age 11, which I think is right.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That was the impression I was getting from your video. As to your bolded above, I'm not sure what you mean about "this sort of thing." If you're just teaching young kids about people from different groups, including same-sex marriages, different religions and ethnic groups, minorities, etc., it's nothing more than exposure, which, I think we all know, helps with promoting tolerance, when they are exposed at an early age. No one has to talk to small children about sex at all. My first sex ed class came at age 11, which I think is right.
with all due respect there's a difference between discussing different religions or ethnic groups and sexuality, it's not clear to me that sexuality needs to be discussed to any great degree in primary school. Secondary school by all means, but families should have those discussions with their children when they see fit.

If a situation arises that makes sexuality topical then yes of course educators should address it. But introducing it into their world is completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
with all due respect there's a difference between discussing different religions or ethnic groups and sexuality, it's not clear to me that sexuality needs to be discussed to any great degree in primary school. Secondary school by all means, but families should have those discussions with their children when they see fit.

If a situation arises that makes sexuality topical then yes of course educators should address it. But introducing it into their world is completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned
But here is where I think you don't seem to distinguish same-sex relationships from sexuality. I think you can say to small children that "Heather has 2 Mommies," for example, without getting into the mechanics of what Heather's two mommies do in the bedroom. They only need to understand that there are some couples that are men with men, some women with women, and some men with women. It's about love, and yes, they are too young to know what the details are. It just helps them navigate the world if someone tells them that these are all things that exist, and they're fine. Sex ed is very different from explaining diversity.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
But here is where I think you don't seem to distinguish same-sex relationships from sexuality. I think you can say to small children that "Heather has 2 Mommies," for example, without getting into the mechanics of what Heather's two mommies do in the bedroom. They only need to understand that there are some couples that are men with men, some women with women, and some men with women. It's about love, and yes, they are too young to know what the details are. It just helps them navigate the world if someone tells them that these are all things that exist, and they're fine. Sex ed is very different from explaining diversity.
I don't see the reason for it unless the child asks questions. What is this new thing where people want to structure the world for children ready made? In my day if we saw something strange we asked questions. I'll bet that kids in this day and age would not see anything odd about a same sex couple, so why go there? Let kids be kids..

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Sex ed is very different from explaining diversity.

I completely agree. The problem is that it seems a lot of people out there -- including people pushing for changes in education -- don't get that.

Also, in line with what @Federberg put above... why again that you have to explain diversity, and how, and at what length? One thing is to have your teachers ready to answer questions, other is to focus education on this, or give it disproportionate attention. If the whole point is to tell kids that it is "ok" that there are same sex couples out there (which I obviously agree), well, how long does it take to say "ok"? I mean, serious question, how can you not settle this in less than two minutes? The moment you want to "talk about it" is the moment you create a problem. It seems that people cannot even consider the idea that people can be ok with it from the start, and move on. Kids are not born with some inner prejudice that needs to be fought off from the start.

I mean, some "conservative" groups want to the opposite... they want to give some special status to what they call "normal" couples, so therefore somehow they want to say that it is not ok that there are same sex couples out there. It baffles me how people cannot see that the moment you chose to fight this fight is the moment you give them a chance of winning it. Kids are kids, if they see two guys holding hands it is immediately ok to them (and, as I said, teachers need to know how to deal with the possible questions).

Here is the crucial point. We are not talking about adults dealing with "issues" (that need to be talked about). There is no issue. Society has issues, and at some point topics as social norms and prejudice must be discussed... when children are old enough to start grasping those concepts.

It seems that people have some knaive hope that the school will perfectly explain the world for each and everyone, that the school is where you build (or force) some complete coherent world view on the head of all. That there is some magic wand that you can touch the kids heads with and they leave school with zero conflicts with the world. Boy I would love someone to touch my head with one of those...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I could be wrong, but I understood from that video that what they are teaching is about diversity more generally, not just explaining that there is such a thing as gay people and gay marriage...just that that was included.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
lol! I don't think kids in inner city Birmingham need to be taught about diversity. They live it! The protests are about exaggerated claims of an LGBTQ agenda being promoted by the government. Nonsense of course..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 999
britbox World Affairs 8339