Serious PC thread

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
frankly I think both sides spend an awful lot of time labelling the other. Progressives love to apply "-ists" to those on the right. And those on the right love to use terms like "SJW". It's all very tiresome. From my observations of this current debate I see Murat describing progressives in general and Moxie occasionally appearing close to assigning identity labels or script narratives to specific individuals. Probably neither is an ideal tactic to advance the debate? If progress is the intent of course.

I will say this Moxie, your willingness to promote your "wokeness" without any self criticism is - at least from my observations from across the pond - a very big part of the problem in America at the moment. I respect your desire to empathise with minorities, but I think your cause would be more effectively prosecuted if you progressive folks could find a way to also empathise with majorities who are being asked to make cultural changes, often at breakneck speed. I think generally progressives have it right (not on calling someone with XY 'she' though :D), but the lack of political savoir faire sometimes is stunning to me. Just saying...
So generous of you to take your naturally more moderate and unbaised position, from on high, to point out my and Murat's flaws. Helpful.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I try to always make a point that I am talking about far left. Leftists is another term. Have zero issues with center left. Literally.

And that's why I keep asking this question: When does left go too far, according to the people on the center left ? What is your bottom line before you can tell a person " You have gone too far" . I need examples. With the right, it is very easy. Not so much with the left. I have MY opinions on this, but I do not identify as center left anymore so maybe I am not allowed to speak? :lol6:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So generous of you to take your naturally more moderate and unbaised position, from on high, to point out my and Murat's flaws. Helpful.
It was an absolute pleasure! :)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't know why he pussied out. Wtf did he apologise for?? :facepalm:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I try to always make a point that I am talking about far left. Leftists is another term. Have zero issues with center left. Literally.

And that's why I keep asking this question: When does left go too far, according to the people on the center left ? What is your bottom line before you can tell a person " You have gone too far" . I need examples. With the right, it is very easy. Not so much with the left. I have MY opinions on this, but I do not identify as center left anymore so maybe I am not allowed to speak? :lol6:
I'm not really clear as to what your question is. We have talked about stupidity in the extreme of PC. And we have examples. I am trying to be reasonable, but keep getting shot down in this thread. I don't think not being center-left in this discussion is a problem. This thread leans center-right, so you're good. But, hey, when do I get the 21st C. definition of "feminism?" ;)

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I'm not really clear as to what your question is. We have talked about stupidity in the extreme of PC. And we have examples. I am trying to be reasonable, but keep getting shot down in this thread. I don't think not being center-left in this discussion is a problem. This thread leans center-right, so you're good. But, hey, when do I get the 21st C. definition of "feminism?" ;)
Ok, first wave of feminism was early 20th century, maybe a little of late 19th century and dealt with very basic issues like right to vote, not being a property of a husband, etc. Perfectly fine.
The second wave, probably started around the 60's but maybe earlier dealt with equality and social status issues and discrimination, etc. All good stuff.
The third wave, I am not sure when it started, but it introduced the dreaded intersectionality concept into the whole thing. Post modernism took over and of course phrases like the patriarchy , white privilege and toxic masculinity followed. It simply turned into man hating, plain and simple. Opinions started to have genders. Like, if you are a male, you cannot talk about certain issues now, because you do not have a vagina. It is like, I have cancer, I need treatment, but I cannot possibly go to a doctor who did not have cancer before ! The stupidty of the argument is breathtaking.
The third wave of feminists believe in the victimhood scale as a result of the intersectionality argument. The higher you are in the victimhood scale, the more your opinion matters. So if you are a white heterosexual male, you literally have no right to an opinion on most subjects. I don't know if there is a forth wave that may have started with the election of Trump but I suspect things got worse with that because Trump is a douche. The #metoo stuff may be a part of the 4th wave. When it started, I was 100% behind it but it turned into man hating again pretty quickly. The word "consent" became a joke. Like, women want to express their sexuality in any way possible, anywhere possible but in some college campuses now , like Princeton , you have to ask for consent two three times while you are dancing with a female partner if it is OK to continue ! Like , women started using the #metoo thing for dates that they did not particularly like ! There was an article by a woman , maybe in the New Yorker or something, that blamed a bad date, in which the guy did not do anything she did not want, but she just did not feel good the next morning. So THAT deserved a #metoo. Stuff like that of course totally undermines the legit sexual abuses but the 21st century feminist does not care for that. For her, withdrawing consent the next day is actually normal. I mean, how dare a man does not understand how she is going to feel about what just happened tomorrow? Careers ended, jobs lost , etc. Hollywood, the biggest hypocrite of all, the place where the phrase "casting couch" was invented, became the leader of the movement! Oh the irony...As a result, for men, the term "innocent until proven guilty" changed to "Innocent until charged" . So a legal concept that took centuries to perfect just got discarded almost overnight...for men of course.
I can go on and on but in a nutshell, the feminism currently practised by some, is all about post modernism, intersectionality, toxic masculinity, victimhood scale and man hating. The current feminist dilemma regarding transgenderism is also interesting but maybe for another day.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I'd really like to know who you'd say that the word "feminism" is defined in the 21st C. Seriously. I have an idea, but rather than guess, I'll let you tell me, as I don't know of another definition.

(just lost a long reply -- pc crashed)

To avoid a long discussion of what "feminism is all about", which in general are completely useless, because they pit dictionary definitions against subjective perceptions, let us use a
"working" defintion: 21st century feminism is what 21st feminists do, or better, what they fight for.

Tennis example: Do we see people discussing how the ITF invests its money on children and youth? Because it is glaringly obvious that the important thing is that girls have not only the
opportunities, but the structure there to look for their interests as future players, amateur or professional. That they (and their parents) are guided on how sports and tennis might impact their lives, both socially and from a health
point of view, be they succesful or not. Do we see people discussing it? No, we see people fighting for prize money in majors and big tournaments, which is not only almost irrelevant, but also unfair as we discussed to a long extent.

I happen to know people who work with sexual violence. Do the average/stereotypical "21st century" feminist have a clue about what these people face everyday? No. They know all about
#MeToo, however. They know all about Neymar's supposed/alleged rape case. I actually heard a long rant about how we should condemn him by default, and in this same rant the person
tried to convince me that the "classical" rape case does not happen anymore, and if it happens, is irrelevant (I am simplifying, but still. Disclaimer: I have zero interest on this case, but everything points to a false claim anyway).

There are tons of other examples. Yes, those are all "anecdotal" on one hand, but those things do drive the (social/mass) media, and if you cannot deal decently not even with that... I am sorry, you are not helping.

If the ultimate goal is to eliminate prejudice and misogyny, "21st century feminism" seems to be the perfect tool to achieve exactly the opposite.

(original text was around 4 times longer. Please try to see the corners I cut on this version. Just saw Murat's last post, I agree with a lot of what is there. You could reply that this is partial picture, but the point is that this partial picture is getting all the attention and driving the conversation).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, first wave of feminism was early 20th century, maybe a little of late 19th century and dealt with very basic issues like right to vote, not being a property of a husband, etc. Perfectly fine.
The second wave, probably started around the 60's but maybe earlier dealt with equality and social status issues and discrimination, etc. All good stuff.
The third wave, I am not sure when it started, but it introduced the dreaded intersectionality concept into the whole thing. Post modernism took over and of course phrases like the patriarchy , white privilege and toxic masculinity followed. It simply turned into man hating, plain and simple. Opinions started to have genders. Like, if you are a male, you cannot talk about certain issues now, because you do not have a vagina. It is like, I have cancer, I need treatment, but I cannot possibly go to a doctor who did not have cancer before ! The stupidty of the argument is breathtaking.
The third wave of feminists believe in the victimhood scale as a result of the intersectionality argument. The higher you are in the victimhood scale, the more your opinion matters. So if you are a white heterosexual male, you literally have no right to an opinion on most subjects. I don't know if there is a forth wave that may have started with the election of Trump but I suspect things got worse with that because Trump is a douche. The #metoo stuff may be a part of the 4th wave. When it started, I was 100% behind it but it turned into man hating again pretty quickly. The word "consent" became a joke. Like, women want to express their sexuality in any way possible, anywhere possible but in some college campuses now , like Princeton , you have to ask for consent two three times while you are dancing with a female partner if it is OK to continue ! Like , women started using the #metoo thing for dates that they did not particularly like ! There was an article by a woman , maybe in the New Yorker or something, that blamed a bad date, in which the guy did not do anything she did not want, but she just did not feel good the next morning. So THAT deserved a #metoo. Stuff like that of course totally undermines the legit sexual abuses but the 21st century feminist does not care for that. For her, withdrawing consent the next day is actually normal. I mean, how dare a man does not understand how she is going to feel about what just happened tomorrow? Careers ended, jobs lost , etc. Hollywood, the biggest hypocrite of all, the place where the phrase "casting couch" was invented, became the leader of the movement! Oh the irony...As a result, for men, the term "innocent until proven guilty" changed to "Innocent until charged" . So a legal concept that took centuries to perfect just got discarded almost overnight...for men of course.
I can go on and on but in a nutshell, the feminism currently practised by some, is all about post modernism, intersectionality, toxic masculinity, victimhood scale and man hating. The current feminist dilemma regarding transgenderism is also interesting but maybe for another day.

You and @mrzz have put a lot on the table here, and I appreciate the thoughtfulness of both responses. I will try to respond as thoughtfully, but there is a lot going on here. In part, I think, because we're muddying the waters here with lots of things going on in, ok, "social justice" arguments these days, and "feminism" seems to be getting more than its share of the blame. (I'll come back to this.) Another is that you treat the Feminist movement as a monolith, (and an angry and dangerous one, at that,) while I would say it is more of a philosophy that women (and men) subscribe to in the interest of equality along gender lines.

One thing I would like to say is that "man-hating" has been a charge against feminists since the early suffragist days. I would actually argue that it was at its worst in the 70s, with the radical feminist separatists. However, most women and most feminists are not "man-haters." Most women I know love men, "even" lesbians (sarcasm intended.) We all have fathers, brothers, nephews, and friends who are good to us, and most are pretty good feminists, imo. "Man-hating" is a false perception, and a reason that many young women have been put off of feminism since the 70s-80s, and even earlier. Allow me an example: In the documentary "Maiden," (currently in a theatre near you,) Tracy Edwards, the captain of the first all-female crew to compete in an around-the-world yacht race, said, before the start of her voyage, that she didn't think of herself as a "feminist." She hated the term. By the end of her journey, after confronting the sexism, lack of faith in their potential to complete the job, and how much they inspired women and girls around the world, she reckoned that, yeah, she was a feminist. Point being that a lot of women don't want to associate with Feminism (and haven't since the early 20th C.) because it is seen by men as aggressive, unattractive, associated with man-hating, hairy armpits and outrageous demands. But most of us are just regular women asking for our piece of the pie, and consideration of our position, our ambitions, and the difference in our needs, both biological (that we lose time in our professional lives to have children,) and historical, (that we are seen as lesser in many ways.) Another example I'd like to offer is my mother. After raising her 3 children, she went back and finished her Masters, became a sea-going oceanographer, all the while supported by my father, who I would say was also a great feminist, as he was completely supportive of her ambitions. She taught me that feminism is about being able to do what you want and not being limited by your gender. I would say this is the crux of the feminist position, and I think it's worth getting back to basics.

Another thing I want to address is the #metoo. This is not exclusively a female issue. It's not outside of the purview of those with a feminist bent to sympathize, but it is about sexual harassment in the workplace, the academic and religious environments. Sexual predation in the context of power inequality involves male victims, as well. I'd be happy to discuss it, but if you don't mind, I think it's a separate issue. And I absolutely think that there has been misuse of it by people who rather regret things when they had full choice it the matter. But I don't think we need to confuse the issue of Feminism with that one, if you don't mind. (That was the point I was coming back to.)

You say "if you are a heterosexual male you literally have no right to an opinion on most subjects." Not only is this "literally" not true, heterosexual males are the ones that get to debate a lot of law on a woman's right to choose abortion, to decide about the funding for our healthcare and bring to law ways that women can be criminally liable for the death of their fetuses. Sorry to be graphic, but you must have heard of some of these laws in Canada. I'm sorry if the current climate makes you feel silenced and put-upon, but I think you over-state your level of lack of voice.

(just lost a long reply -- pc crashed)

To avoid a long discussion of what "feminism is all about", which in general are completely useless, because they pit dictionary definitions against subjective perceptions, let us use a
"working" defintion: 21st century feminism is what 21st feminists do, or better, what they fight for.

Tennis example: Do we see people discussing how the ITF invests its money on children and youth? Because it is glaringly obvious that the important thing is that girls have not only the
opportunities, but the structure there to look for their interests as future players, amateur or professional. That they (and their parents) are guided on how sports and tennis might impact their lives, both socially and from a health
point of view, be they succesful or not. Do we see people discussing it? No, we see people fighting for prize money in majors and big tournaments, which is not only almost irrelevant, but also unfair as we discussed to a long extent.

I happen to know people who work with sexual violence. Do the average/stereotypical "21st century" feminist have a clue about what these people face everyday? No. They know all about
#MeToo, however. They know all about Neymar's supposed/alleged rape case. I actually heard a long rant about how we should condemn him by default, and in this same rant the person
tried to convince me that the "classical" rape case does not happen anymore, and if it happens, is irrelevant (I am simplifying, but still. Disclaimer: I have zero interest on this case, but everything points to a false claim anyway).

There are tons of other examples. Yes, those are all "anecdotal" on one hand, but those things do drive the (social/mass) media, and if you cannot deal decently not even with that... I am sorry, you are not helping.

If the ultimate goal is to eliminate prejudice and misogyny, "21st century feminism" seems to be the perfect tool to achieve exactly the opposite.

(original text was around 4 times longer. Please try to see the corners I cut on this version. Just saw Murat's last post, I agree with a lot of what is there. You could reply that this is partial picture, but the point is that this partial picture is getting all the attention and driving the conversation).
I'm sorry you lost your longer post about this. Perhaps some points will come out in further discussion.

I don't agree with you that 21st C. women or feminists don't know enough about sexual violence. Surely, and hopefully, most of us haven't experienced it. But most women know what it's like to walk with your keys in your fingers. To always be aware enough avoid any number of situations. To be made uncomfortable in the workplace. To have to get away from a man who is intimidating us. Surely we think about our surroundings and our situations more than men do. As to the Neymar and what "rape" is anymore. I think we know what "rape" is. The issue of "consent/non-consent" as Murat also brought up...well, that's difficult, but it always has been, in the case of rape claims. But do remember that is usually the woman who is portrayed as putting herself in the position. Frankly, if men are suddenly looking worse in this scenario, I have very little sympathy. Women have been portrayed poorly in these cases for many, many years. Which is why they don't even pursue them, in most cases. If someone is willing to call out Neymar....think what you will. Who knows. As I said above, I'd prefer to make a separate conversation for #metoo, which deals with the finer points of sexual abuse of power.

As to your point about tennis putting effort into young players rather than us just complaining about equal pay, I think there has been conversation about it. I have brought up the fact that qualifiers at Majors allow a much smaller group of women than men, for example, which disadvantages the lower-ranked women.

As to your last point: "If the ultimate goal is to eliminate prejudice and misogyny, "21st century feminism" seems to be the perfect tool to achieve exactly the opposite." So, whatever men perceive about feminism is so abhorrent, inconvenient and unappealing to their reflexion of themselves that women are to blame for the notion that men can't get beyond their own prejudice and misogyny? Are you really willing to back that statement?

Last edited:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
@Moxie, when we started debating this topic the first thing I pointed out is that this is not about feminism per se -- actually I would even struggle to define it correctly -- but about what I called 21st century feminism, or what Murat called the third or fourth wave of it. In your reply that distinction is not present, and it seems that you assume that we all cannot do that distinction.

Nothing illustrates that better than the example that you gave about your mother and you father (thank you for sharing that). Here you have two people helping each other out, knowing what they are doing, embracing their responsibilities and not letting the fact that they are man and woman get in the way -- in fact, much to the contrary. If that is feminism, I embrace it fully. Now, compare it with what we have in the article that started this discussion. You have ignorant people twisting idiotic arguments to try to see gender oppression in a freaking video game contest. If those are not two polar opposites, I don't know what is.

About my statement related to sexual violence, as we say in Brazil, "o buraco é mais embaixo" (you will have fun with that translation!). One thing is to know that it exists, to protect oneself rather instinctively. Other is to really know the social problem, the data, how assaulted women react, how you prevent it, what are the problems that you face to have access to the cases, to get the culprits, to assist the women. There is a whole world there, Moxie. It is sooooo different from someone making a claim on Facebook....

About my last statement, I don't think you are getting my point. All political movements -- and feminism is a political movement in the broad sense -- have an objective. Did I phrase that objective perfectly? Probably not. But, as a political movement, 21st century feminism is doing a terrible job. 20st century feminism did a very good job, you just have to look at society to see the results. Compare the world in 1950 and the word in 1990/2000. The end result speaks for itself. But... from 1990/2000 to nowadays... sorry, it is too obvious. I won't take that back, I can actually double it down...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't really see why I have to accept your definition of feminism, or how you both see it broken up into "waves," but I did make comments on some things contained therein, as to why I disagreed with some of your tiers or waves. You like my anecdote about my parents, but you don't seem to understand that this is my experience of feminism, and my concept of what it is.

If we could stop arguing each others definitions and positions, then perhaps we could discuss the topic. And I don't think your declaring yourself the expert on sexual violence and no one else has any idea about it is not really that useful. You don't know anything about my background on the issue. I also think this is clouding the issue, like the #metoo part of the conversation. Obviously, sexual assault is an important issue, but it's not really what we're talking about, is it? As you say, feminism is a political movement. Also a social movement. The basic concept is that women need to be treated equally in society and in the workplace, that we should have equal rights under the law, and decent access to healthcare, including some determination over our birth control decisions, as a reasonable part of how we make our own decisions about our lives. Forget about #metoo, for now, forget about sexual violence issues, forget about "toxic masculinity" or "toxic feminism," if you like. This is what feminism is about, and I think you and Murat are putting a lot of other crap on it and blaming it on the women's movement.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting conversation. Question... should the objective for feminism be equal treatment or equal opportunity? I think there’s a difference

PS I’ve never really considered the different phases of feminism described by Murat. I can’t say that it’s definitive but some of it rhymes. But I do agree with Moxie that it’s not a monolithic movement even if I find it hard to believe she doesn’t recognise Murat’s observations to any degree ;)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting conversation. Question... should the objective for feminism be equal treatment or equal opportunity? I think there’s a difference

PS I’ve never really considered the different phases of feminism described by Murat. I can’t say that it’s definitive but some of it rhymes. But I do agree with Moxie that it’s not a monolithic movement even if I find it hard to believe she doesn’t recognise Murat’s observations to any degree ;)
Fair question. I don't think equal "treatment" necessarily means anything, or is definable. What do you think? But equal opportunity surely is an objective. Level playing field, same pay for same work.

OK, though, so which of Murat's observations do you think I did not even recognize? To me, he put so much on the table that it was hard to parse stuff out. I was trying to argue points that made sense to me, or worked with my own experience. I did make an honest effort to address some of what was said, by all, including you, but you have to agree that there was a lot of murkiness in there, and it was hard to pull some of it apart. I think I did, however, make an argument for my personal POV on what feminism is, and how some issues are not really on point.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I don't really see why I have to accept your definition of feminism, or how you both see it broken up into "waves," but I did make comments on some things contained therein, as to why I disagreed with some of your tiers or waves. You like my anecdote about my parents, but you don't seem to understand that this is my experience of feminism, and my concept of what it is.

If we could stop arguing each others definitions and positions, then perhaps we could discuss the topic. And I don't think your declaring yourself the expert on sexual violence and no one else has any idea about it is not really that useful. You don't know anything about my background on the issue. I also think this is clouding the issue, like the #metoo part of the conversation. Obviously, sexual assault is an important issue, but it's not really what we're talking about, is it? As you say, feminism is a political movement. Also a social movement. The basic concept is that women need to be treated equally in society and in the workplace, that we should have equal rights under the law, and decent access to healthcare, including some determination over our birth control decisions, as a reasonable part of how we make our own decisions about our lives. Forget about #metoo, for now, forget about sexual violence issues, forget about "toxic masculinity" or "toxic feminism," if you like. This is what feminism is about, and I think you and Murat are putting a lot of other crap on it and blaming it on the women's movement.

I never wrote that you have to accept my definition of feminism. In fact I even wrote I cannot define it properly. I can completely accept your definition above (bolded). The only thing I stressed, and I stand by it, is that feminism (tne "movement", not the "concept") changed with the passage of time -- which is only natural for a social phenomenon. My personal opinion in that it changed for the worst.

I am also no expert about sexual violence. I am only smart enough to -- after listening people who deal with that daily -- understand that it is something different to celebrities doing their laundry in public or in multi-million dollar law suits.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never wrote that you have to accept my definition of feminism. In fact I even wrote I cannot define it properly. I can completely accept your definition above (bolded). The only thing I stressed, and I stand by it, is that feminism (tne "movement", not the "concept") changed with the passage of time -- which is only natural for a social phenomenon. My personal opinion in that it changed for the worst.

I am also no expert about sexual violence. I am only smart enough to -- after listening people who deal with that daily -- understand that it is something different to celebrities doing their laundry in public or in multi-million dollar law suits.
I appreciate that you accept my definition. It doesn't have to be the only one, but it's the one that I work with. I know you have said it's hard to define, but that's really where we part ways. Where you and @Murat Baslamisli seem to think the 21st C. version has gone is something that I can't agree with with. One or both of you is talking about "man-hating." One or both of you has brought up #metoo, and you specifically talk about it in the context of sexual violence. As I have said before, I think these are different conversations. Not unrelated, but you make it very murky, since #metoo and sexual violence are not only about violence against women. Related, but not essential to the argument. It seems there is a lot of nervousness and anger in the feeling that men feel under attack. I really don't believe that righteous men have anything to worry about. I mean, is that what you think this current wave of feminism is about? Because I think it's still about equal pay, equal opportunity, protecting a woman's right to choose whether or not to have a baby. (Which, let's be clear, is also a man's right to choose, as well.) About access to healthcare in general, and to a reasonable notion of family leave programs so that women don't have to put their careers on hold, completely, in order to have children. It is also about the inequality of power in relationships, especially in the workplace and the academic environment, but, as I said, for men who are not inclined to exploit that, I don't think there's anything to worry about. So tell me what is so different or more toxic about feminism in the 21st C., if those are our real goals.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I mean, is that what you think this current wave of feminism is about?

We could go on and keep discussing all the points you raised (all are important), but as you said we are going in circles.

Let us change the approach. You brought about questions that probably we would all agree to a great extent, diverge on some aspects, but surely would be able to constructively arrive to a reasonable common ground. But as you noted four active posters here in this topic (myself, Federberg, Murat and BB) clearly don't see that contemporary feminism is just about that, and not even reasonable about that. Now the four of us (which surely won't agree about everything, but still), I don't think that anyone is anywhere close to being misogynist, intolerant or far-right . Also, neither of us has any comprehension deficit (well, sometimes I question myself if BB got the bracket challenge rules right). Can't you even entertain the idea that there might be some problem in current feminism's approach so that four so different guys -- guys that feminism should at least be able to draw some sympathy from (as I said, it is a political movement) -- have so obvious differences and dislike towards it? Will you really put it all on our account? Is it all just our inner misogyny, our insecureness, our incapacity to understand what this is "all about"?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I certainly don't think that any of the 4 of you guys are either misogynists, intolerant or far-right. I simply think that too random incidents/issues/opinions get heaped onto the notion of "feminism" in ways that are sometimes misplaced. This is why I have found it hard to respond to some of them, particularly from Murat, which I've been called out for. (Also, please remember that this particular conversation started with transgender and pronouns. We migrated to feminism, and I think it's telling that we did.) For example, the current mandate on some college campuses for training "permissions" in individual sexual encounters I do not believe comes from any feminist movement that I have ever heard of. Imo, it comes from the fact that universities tend to handle incidences of rape/date rape internally (a problem) and their nervous, so they have created some really creaky way of trying to teach "no means no." Also, to the point of the RT article you posted, Mrzz, which headline states that "Feminists" object to no women/girls making it in the particular gaming event. Well, it wasn't "feminists" that brought out the issue of inequality in gaming, it was an individual writing for the Guardian. It was perfectly valid of him to discuss the issue. As we know, girls in gaming IS a huge issue, with a lot of controversy in it. I have no problem with anyone calling the man who wrote it a feminist, or saying that he presents a feminist-argument. But "feminists" didn't write it, or as far as I know, stage any protest over it, so it's really just an example of one man's opinion, so, while it may irritate you, you really can't blame the feminist movement for it.

Here's what I think the organized feminist/women's movement does in the US, and I am aware that in our little conversation we represent people living in 5 different countries. I can't speak to the tone or work of women's movements in other countries, but in the US the big organizations are Planned Parenthood, which works on women's health issues and abortion rights, and NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League.) Emily's List, which works specifically to get women elected to statewide and national office, in service of promoting legislation to aid women's issues. NOW (National Organization for Women,) which is an umbrella for all of the above and the grand dame (if you will) of women's rights organizations in the US. It is my opinion that the rhetoric in general from these groups has "smoothed" a bit over the years, though the fight is the same. Where I think you guys are finding irritations, if I'm understanding you correctly, are from things that I consider side-bar to the Feminist Movement.

I will agree, and have said, that there are many, many petty arguments that give PC a bad name. And there are people who claim victimhood in various ways that most of us reasonable folk feel strains credulity. I have many opinions about the #metoo movement, but, as I have said, I don't think it's a feminist movement, or exclusively female issue. To be clear, it is a grassroots movement.

Mrzz, I'm not saying that you and the guys here in conversation don't understand "what it's all about." What I am saying is that I don't understand what YOU think it's all about. I've told you what I think, and I'd appreciate hearing what you do. And what it is that you think feminism has gotten so wrong in this 21st C. iteration. I'm really not trying to be petulant, to go in circles, but just tell me, and then we can debate it. I'm just trying to separate things into their parts so they can be debated effectively, rather than in one big stew which seems to blame feminists, but really is just kind of flabby and lazy. A lot has been laid on the table, and it comes from many different places.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pick one subject then @Moxie and I will tell you why far left is wrong about it :)
I actually picked one. Tell me what is the problem you have with Feminism in the 21st C. :)

To me, this is where you are muddying the waters. We have never been arguing about the far-left in this particular section of the conversation. Well, you have been, but it's beside the point. If you want to have a conversation about the far-left, start your own conversation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540