Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Women] - Grand Slam

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga got lucky because Osaka lacks match play.Winning RG24 is going to be a challenge.Osaka has to be proud of her form moving forward.She is back and once she plays more matches.Watch out...
Well if Osaka didnt commit those UFE while serving for the match she would have won the match, it was the best clay performance I have Ever Seen from her, remember clay has never been a surface for Osaka

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just wow - what a match. Osaka almost there but Iga went through
1717007941086.png

1717008248259.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iga had more match play than Osaka and let's see if clay queen can do it again.Iga looked tired to be honest..it's very rare for the Rome winner to win RG.It takes an exceptional talent to win Madrid,Rome and RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This has to be one of the 'best matches of the year'
Iga Swiatek saves a MP and rallies from 2-5 down in the 3rd set winning 5 straight games to win 76(1) 16 75
Well done to Osaka, like who said she cant play on clay? she is a natural born athlete and her games suits all surfaces, incl grass, I hope she doesnt have too many nightmares when she was serving for the match 5-3, and committed UFE, probably because nerves got in the way.

Reactions: shawnbm

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga had more match play than Osaka and let's see if clay queen can do it again.Iga looked tired to be honest..it's very rare for the Rome winner to win RG.It takes an exceptional talent to win Madrid,Rome and RG.
Lets also remember the roof being closed did favor Osaka in many ways, Iga probably needed this match, she dosent like big hitters at all, and at times could not counter attack Osaka in the match

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio if you are around Iga made us look foolish saying it was over for her:) coming back from 2-5 down in the final set with help from Osaka,, I need a strong coffee I still have to watch Sinner's match

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
So basically Iga let off the hook again. Banshee, Saba, Naomi, Muchova (I'm sure there are others) cannot execute on the last game or point.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
So basically Iga let off the hook again. Banshee, Saba, Naomi, Muchova (I'm sure there are others) cannot execute on the last game or point.
Osaka serve let her down when it was needed, her serve up to then was great, a complete turn around in form from Osaka from her 1st match

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For the life of me what do journalists keep asking Danielle Collins why does she intend to retire at the end of this year
Collins has answered that question until she is 'blue in the face'
Collins is not about to change her mind BTW

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW only 9 of the 32 matches were completed.........Not ideal
3 womens match were completed, due to them being on Chatrier (2) and (1) on Lenglen

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka is a real contender for the USO after her performance today in her match against Swiatek
Fitness wise, she has improved as she showed today in this match on clay, she appeared to have lost weight which quite frankly was needed
Osaka was hitting the ball crisp and clean, the best I have seen her play so far this year

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don Fabio if you are around Iga made us look foolish saying it was over for her:) coming back from 2-5 down in the final set with help from Osaka,, I need a strong coffee I still have to watch Sinner's match
I run out of daily data at 5:5, 3rd set hahah. Yeah, great comeback from her. I felt Naomi needed to cruah Iga at 4:1 on Iga serve, she had BP there. Had she won that game, there is no way Iga wins. But once match got closer Osaka started to miss more and the pendulum swinged to Iga's side. Still I feel the match was lost by Osaka more than Iga actually earned it. Osaka was dictating the play for the most of the match, but she could not pass the finish line..

It was a great match and shame that the stadium was barely half full. Maybe this loss will motivate Osaka to do more. By the USO she could be ready to go deep in a slam, maybe even win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I run out of daily data at 5:5, 3rd set hahah. Yeah, great comeback from her. I felt Naomi needed to cruah Iga at 4:1 on Iga serve, she had BP there. Had she won that game, there is no way Iga wins. But once match got closer Osaka started to miss more and the pendulum swinged to Iga's side. Still I feel the match was lost by Osaka more than Iga actually earned it. Osaka was dictating the play for the most of the match, but she could not pass the finish line..

It was a great match and shame that the stadium was barely half full. Maybe this loss will motivate Osaka to do more. By the USO she could be ready to go deep in a slam, maybe even win.
Agree Don I feel Osaka can be a contender for this years USO, this was the best match she has played since returning, her movement, crisp controlled ground strokes and serve, I feel nerves got to her as her serve went off when it mattered! anyway going forward she take he positives from this result regardless of her loss

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I keep telling you guys, today's players will have serious & chronic injury issues due to the speed of the game & the grind of long, lengthy points! Been suggesting to Carlos since very early on to pull back & try not making the "highlight reel" w/ every match! Sinner needs some bulk or he'll end up just "breaking!" I'm so glad I'll be letting tennis go pretty soon! Only a handful have the skills worth watching while most are just elevating ball bashing to new heights; even the women! Swiatek barely got by Osaka who was playing out of her mind & held a match point before Iga roared back to take it in 3! I thought it was all over for her! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
Was a real shame Osaka bottled it. She was killing her with laser like backhands but I just knew she'd lose once the match points were blown. :mad:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Naomi played great and nothing to hang her head about. Iga played clutch in the big moments even though she hadn't most of the match. I look forward to more battles.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie