27. Sebastian Korda
28. Tomas Martin Etcheverry
29. Arthur Fils
30. Lorenzo Musetti
31. Mariano Navone
32. Cameron Norrie

24829a0e-8530-4b48-84fb-6b1f50e04354_20220605_RG_AL_4841_web.jpg

The Tournament:

The French Open (French: Internationaux de France de tennis), also known as Roland-Garros, is a major tennis tournament held over two weeks at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France, beginning in late May each year. The tournament and venue are named after the French aviator Roland Garros. The French Open is the premier clay court championship in the world and the only Grand Slam tournament currently held on this surface. It is chronologically the second of the four annual Grand Slam tournaments, occurring after the Australian Open and before Wimbledon and the US Open. Until 1975, the French Open was the only major tournament not played on grass. Between the seven rounds needed for a championship, the clay surface characteristics (slower pace, higher bounce), and the best-of-five-set men's singles matches, the French Open is widely regarded as the most physically demanding tennis tournament in the world.

La_Tour_Eiffel_vue_de_la_Tour_Saint-Jacques,_Paris_août_2014_(2).jpg

About Paris:

Paris is the capital and most populous city of France, with an official estimated population of 2,102,650 residents as of 1 January 2023 in an area of more than 105 km² (41 sq mi), making it the fourth-most populated city in the European Union as well as the 30th most densely populated city in the world in 2022. Since the 17th century, Paris has been one of the world's major centres of finance, diplomacy, commerce, fashion, gastronomy, and science. For its leading role in the arts and sciences, as well as its early and extensive system of street lighting, in the 19th century, it became known as "the City of Light". Like London, prior to the Second World War, it was also sometimes called the capital of the world.

The City of Paris is the centre of the Île-de-France region, or Paris Region, with an official estimated population of 12,271,794 inhabitants on January 1, 2023, or about 19% of the population of France, making the region France's primate city. The Paris Region had a GDP of €739 billion ($743 billion) in 2019, the highest in Europe. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, in 2022, Paris was the city with the ninth-highest cost of living in the world.

Tourism Guide:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
By the way, the official Roland Garros draw ceremony will be on May 23rd, Thursday 3 pm local time.
When did they change it I had already posted it on ATP News and WTA News, at 2pm local time, Thursday May 23rd a few days ago?

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems like Jannik Sinner's practice at Chatrier went well. From the videos I saw online, his was moving well. Obviously, practice is different than official matches, but it is a great sign that he is not laboring his hip.

PS: Rafael Nadal and Jannik Sinner greeted each other in the same court.

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It seems like Jannik Sinner's practice at Chatrier went well. From the videos I saw online, his was moving well. Obviously, practice is different than official matches, but it is a great sign that he is not laboring his hip.

PS: Rafael Nadal and Jannik Sinner greeted each other in the same court.
Agree, his movement laterally was good no signs of his hip giving him a problem

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz had to wait till early evening for his first practice session against young Frenchman Luca van Assche, sporting a new haircut Alcaraz didn't seem hampered by his right arm injury,he was last seen in action at the Madrid Masters.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You all maybe know by now how little I understand betting odds, and how little I think of odds makers, so here's a snapshot of some odds I found on a Vegas betting site:

View attachment 9466

They also had Dimitrov, Struff, Fonseca and Jack Draper at +8000. Everyone else is +10000 or higher.

Most odds makers out there have Alcaraz the favorite, by a small margin. He's coming off of injury, but said to be going to Paris. Sinner is still a question mark. (Do I have that right, @MargaretMcAleer?) Djokovic is certainly more of a question mark than he's been in years, but, personally, I'd make him the favorite.

Going down the list. Ok, Nadal is Nadal.

Ruud over Tsitsipas? Even with the loss today?

The one that really stuns me is Rune over Zverev, and by +200. At least Zverev is still in Rome...and he's won it before.

To me, it's a weird ordering of things, and I'm sure it will change. But I thought it was a good conversation point. After Rome, everything will get recalculated, but given who's already out, and who's left, I'm not sure how much there is left to know.

Maybe @Front242 who understands these things can give some insight.

Oh, for the record, this is the source of the above.
Rafa odds seems a bit high and even The Nadal team have to be surprised.

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I just heard this: Rafa's first round is v. Zverev. So much for help from the draw gods.
Well, I think Rafa's odds of winning RG is gonna drop significantly. Too bad for both players

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wow, that is rough. If he somehow manages to get by Zverev (you can always hope for a Sascha implosion), the rest of his first week section is pretty easy, with Holger being his potential 4R opponent.

The draw is up on Wikipedia:

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
The winner of Nadal-Zverev becomes the early favorite, imho. The two played a classic at the 2022 RG semifinal before the injury. Zverev and Nadal went toe-to-toe for 2 sets. I have to admit that I'm impressed at how fast Zverev was able to recover from that injury and return to his previous form. I didn't think he had that in him.

With Holger, I have to see it to believe it. Chances are, he will be an early exit and Nadal/Zverev will likely be facing an easier opponent in R4.

Also, I can't be the only one that thinks this sets up perfectly for Fils to make a breakthrough run. I don't necessarily trust Rublev or Tsitsipas to handle business, so I won't be surprised if Fils makes it to at least the quarters.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, that is rough. If he somehow manages to get by Zverev (you can always hope for a Sascha implosion), the rest of his first week section is pretty easy, with Holger being his potential 4R opponent.

The draw is up on Wikipedia:
It's not such a "somehow manages." He leads the h2h 7-3, with convincing clay wins. Sacha has beaten him in Madrid, but otherwise, indoor HC. Now, Rafa is at the end of his career, but this IS Roland Garros we're talking about, and even you have said, 'it's Rafa's house.'

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's not such a "somehow manages." He leads the h2h 7-3, with convincing clay wins. Sacha has beaten him in Madrid, but otherwise, indoor HC. Now, Rafa is at the end of his career, but this IS Roland Garros we're talking about, and even you have said, 'it's Rafa's house.'
Dear Sis Moxie e.g. When you respond to @MargaretMcAleer MM, you have to have all your facts because we have all have learned you better be prepared to have your facts aligned properly. Well the same for Rafa when he is going into battlefield to defend his main turf, he needs his DTL FH and especially the CC to protect the center of the Court. The one thing going for Rafa is he knows Sasha s game and he can expect some extended rallies. Yes ma'am it's his house but someone else has been living in it for the past year. Vamos Nadal

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The winner of Nadal-Zverev becomes the early favorite, imho. The two played a classic at the 2022 RG semifinal before the injury. Zverev and Nadal went toe-to-toe for 2 sets. I have to admit that I'm impressed at how fast Zverev was able to recover from that injury and return to his previous form. I didn't think he had that in him.

With Holger, I have to see it to believe it. Chances are, he will be an early exit and Nadal/Zverev will likely be facing an easier opponent in R4.

Also, I can't be the only one that thinks this sets up perfectly for Fils to make a breakthrough run. I don't necessarily trust Rublev or Tsitsipas to handle business, so I won't be surprised if Fils makes it to at least the quarters.
Did you really think that was a fast recovery and return to form for Zverev? I seem to remember he had a setback with an edema or something. It took 8 months to play again, and then all of 2023, he only won a 500 and a 250, 2nd half of the year. Isn't Rome his first big title since the injury? Now, I did think this injury/recovery might be character-building for him, but apparently his character is too flawed for rebuilding. IMO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Did you really think that was a fast recovery and return to form for Zverev? I seem to remember he had a setback with an edema or something. It took 8 months to play again, and then all of 2023, he only won a 500 and a 250, 2nd half of the year. Isn't Rome his first big title since the injury? Now, I did think this injury/recovery might be character-building for him, but apparently his character is too flawed for rebuilding. IMO.
Maybe PE saying that Zverev was able to have a fast recovery to stay in the ATP top ten without having a freefall like poor Dominic Thiem . Just my two cents worth

Reactions: don_fabio

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think he can win, just that it will be tough - and he's not the favorite, imo. Zverev is coming off a Rome title and playing very well. He's also been handling the grind of the tour. Rafa is, on the other hand, well, you know.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe PE saying that Zverev was able to have a fast recovery to stay in the ATP top ten without having a freefall like poor Dominic Thiem . Just my two cents worth
Moxie is correct after suffering his ankle incident at RG in 2022, then he did get a edema in that area which took him 8 months to to get over his edema, which can occur when you have a injury in that area, didnt do much in 2023, Rome is his first big title since 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.