Roland Garros Day 8: Sunday, June 1 - Order of Play

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Milos is one set up on Marcel Granollers

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The Federer inside out forehand is arguably the greatest shot in tennis history. A bit disheartening at times seeing him so tentative with that shot. Obviously it's not as good as it used to be, but still.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know Edberg lived on the backhand... but maybe a discrete message down to the court like holding up a giant placard "ATTACK THE FOREHAND" might be in order.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Courier is pretty crass sometimes... Called Fed for the "nice donation" on break point. :nono

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Don't understand why fed is not using the slice like he normally does.

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Seems like Fed doesn't come back from a break down in the final set much these days. Gulbis is a headcase though so I'm not ruling it out.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
I know Edberg lived on the backhand... but maybe a discrete message down to the court like holding up a giant placard "ATTACK THE FOREHAND" might be in order.

Yeah. The problem though, is that a lot of the times Roger's first ground stroke in the rally is a backhand, and in order to truly attack Gulbis' forehand, he has to fire up a quality rally backhand up the line -- a shot he doesn't particularly excel at (it really risks dropping short too). Nevertheless, I'd still do that and give Gulbis a cross court forehand in order to initiate a forehand-to-forehand exchange over ill-advised backhand exchanges.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ernie needs to keep on top of his own serve from here on out... Fed not giving him any pace when it's in play now.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
britbox said:

Yeah. The problem though, is that a lot of the times Roger's first ground stroke in the rally is a backhand, and in order to truly attack Gulbis' forehand, he has to fire up a quality rally backhand up the line -- a shot he doesn't particularly excel at (it really risks dropping short too). Nevertheless, I'd still do that and give Gulbis a cross court forehand in order to initiate a forehand-to-forehand exchange over ill-advised backhand exchanges.

He's hardly attempted to go down the line in the whole match IMO.

Even that last rally (which he won), probably a couple of shots ago by the time I write this - he was still going inside out when the forehand down the line was on.

Gulbis has played a great match by the way, which is also getting overlooked.