Roland Garros Day 7: Saturday, May 31 - Order of Play

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal FINALLY hits a first serve that clocks over 180 k's. It was 181, which is still pretty freaking slow, by the way. Putrid stuff on serve. I don't understand why he wouldn't at least try to get angle on the slider out wide since he's so unable to get pace.

Again, he's not going to magically serve bullets against Novak. Sometimes, Nadal's attitude can be counter-productive. He's the ultimate "in the moment" competitor, which is great, but not in moments like this. Nadal is obviously not confident enough to go for bigger serves. So he'll stick with what's working now because he doesn't want to take risks in this match. He cares so much about winning every match that he's not going to allow himself to think beyond that. Too bad, because he'll suddenly realize that some guys (starting with Ferrer) will actually make those softballs look like a joke and he won't have the confidence nor the execution to serve better then.

His baseline game isn't looking great either, and that's against a one-handed backhand.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Yes, I don't get that, either. People were anticipating that match-up before it was even set, including TV commentators, and now they act like there's not even a camera on Lenglen.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Showing on TC
DY vs. GGL
Nadal vs. Mayer

Thanks TC... it would be nice to see Fognini v. Monfils. :s

No need. It's some horrible tennis with both hitting softballs, and can't hold serve to save their lives. At least that was the first set. I've since switched to the Nadal match.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
nehmeth said:
Showing on TC
DY vs. GGL
Nadal vs. Mayer

Thanks TC... it would be nice to see Fognini v. Monfils. :s

No need. It's some horrible tennis with both hitting softballs, and can't hold serve to save their lives. At least that was the first set. I've since switched to the Nadal match.

:( Thanks. Think I'll go fishing today.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Le Monf takes the 2nd set 6-2. On serve in the 3rd 4-3

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Well, good to know, though I was going to tune in for the antics, too. ;)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Monf takes the 3rd 6-4. Fog up a double break in the 4th 4-0

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Monfils totally tanked that game, and now is calling for the doctor.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
LeMonf is barely moving now and has asked for the doctor since he is dizzy. 5-0

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal 62-1 at the French Open. (Career) Today is the 5-year anniversary of his loss to Soderling, TC has informed us. (Front: Are you having some cake? :laydownlaughing )

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Clown Monfils eats a bagel yet I doubt the other clown will run away with the 5th :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Nadal 62-1 at the French Open. (Career) Today is the 5-year anniversary of his loss to Soderling, TC has informed us. (Front: Are you having some cake? :laydownlaughing )

You just gave me a reason to go out and get wrecked tonight! I hope there will be more reasons to celebrate in the next 8 days :cool:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Nadal FINALLY hits a first serve that clocks over 180 k's. It was 181, which is still pretty freaking slow, by the way. Putrid stuff on serve. I don't understand why he wouldn't at least try to get angle on the slider out wide since he's so unable to get pace.

Again, he's not going to magically serve bullets against Novak. Sometimes, Nadal's attitude can be counter-productive. He's the ultimate "in the moment" competitor, which is great, but not in moments like this. Nadal is obviously not confident enough to go for bigger serves. So he'll stick with what's working now because he doesn't want to take risks in this match. He cares so much about winning every match that he's not going to allow himself to think beyond that. Too bad, because he'll suddenly realize that some guys (starting with Ferrer) will actually make those softballs look like a joke and he won't have the confidence nor the execution to serve better then.

His baseline game isn't looking great either, and that's against a one-handed backhand.

I do think Ferrer has a legit outside shot at the upset, if he returns well and is aggressive. He has been quietly cruising. Not a good shot mind you...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Rafa has a Kinesio tape on his back....I noticed that at the end of the match when he did his usual shirt change....

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This Fognini-Monfils match is the train-wreck you expected it to be. Dreadful stuff.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
LeMonf is such a character. He sits down after the changeover from the first game telling Bernardis he's dying and about to fall over. Meanwhile, Fog is too inconsistent to take advantage of his opponent's frail state. He dumps serve in the decider. Monf up 2-0

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They will be driving off the court together in a clown car. :rolleyes:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
LeMonf is such a character. He sits down after the changeover from the first game telling Bernardis he's dying and about to fall over. Meanwhile, Fog is too inconsistent to take advantage of his opponent's frail state. He dumps serve in the decider. Monf up 2-0

They are both showing their flair for puzzlingly garbage tennis, in spite of huge talent.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Now Fog gets a point penalty for throwing a racquet. 3-0

By the way, Fog has the trainer on court now.