Roland Garros Day 5: Thursday, May 29 - Order of Play

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
golds girl said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
golds girl said:
The question would be have better posed of Dimitrov who the 'casual' tennis fan has been more exposed to. Cause keep in mind, the folks who watch tennis only when it comes onto ESPN are pretty casual. This was probably the first time they've seen or heard of Thiem, so they're making a judgment off of this one match

That's a great point. Even hardcore tennis fans have a hard time seeing Thiem in action, so you're right -- the casual fan would be clueless.

Exactly, and, tbh, I thought the only "hype" of Thiem was mostly internal here, because johnsteinbeck had introduced us to him. And just now, more widely, because he was in Rafa's draw. (Especially with the attrition rate in his half over the last couple of days.)

That's what I was thinking Moxie. I'm thinking now that all these pundits (and players for that matter) are totally reading our forums ;)

They are! Note in the comments section of our article on Thiem:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/blogs/tennis-international-access/on-the-cherry-path-an-up-and-coming-player-and-his-unusual-coach/

Andy Brenner, who blogs on the official Roland Garros website, tells us he used info from our piece in his, though he didn't mention us. :mad:

Also, Ian Eagle told several stories on ESPN today during his commentary about Thiem and Sepp Resnick that can only have come from our article, I'm fairly certain. (Via google search.)

britbox said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
And I wouldn't say the hype is warranted as A) Other than Bodo picking Thiem to win (LOL), I didn't see that much hype beyond "this kid is talented," and B) Thiem showed that he's talented, nothing more, nothing less (and that's not a knock on him as he shouldn't have been expected to do more).

Bodo is always trying to hit the home run. I'm not sure if he's trying to be controversial to drum up conversation or trying to be the only guy on the planet who called the major upset. Either way, he's made so many ridiculous predictions it's become a bit of a "cry wolf" scenario. As a poster on here (huntingyou) used to say... If you predict it will rain every day, then one day it will and you'll be right. Pretty much sums up Bodo's bizarre predictions.

I like Thiem personally but his arc of development isn't at that stage yet.

Also during that match, Annacone rather took Bodo on, I think. He said something about "so-called experts" tipping Thiem for the upset, why that was ridiculous at this point, and said that it "lessens their credibility." :laydownlaughing

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
^ Annacone is perfect for TTC. He tells it like it is. I remember what he said about Berd right after he split w/ Fed and starting working w/ TTC part-time. This is what he said about Berd during the WTF when previewing a match w/ Ferrer:

"He called Tomas a sluggish mover and said that he committed too many sloppy errors."

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
^ Annacone is perfect for TTC. He tells it like it is. I remember what he said about Berd right after he split w/ Fed and starting working w/ TTC part-time.

Which was?

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
OMG Monfils.

[video=youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbJfgPVThE[/video]

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Who in there right mind would go for that shot.......except for Monfils.................

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
^ And that's why he spends more time on the sidelines than on the court.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Can't wait for Monfils v. Fognini tomorrow. There will be drama, opera, arguments, theatrics. It may or may not be great tennis, but it will be entertaining. I will pick a bone with those who call them "clowns." They're both very talented tennis players. That they're given to histrionics or displays for the crowd isn't the worst thing that ever happened to tennis. It just might not be the best for theirs. But tell me who won't have the popcorn and be watching that match.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
^ Definitely more interesting than any Isner match I could watch

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Can't wait for Monfils v. Fognini tomorrow. There will be drama, opera, arguments, theatrics. It may or may not be great tennis, but it will be entertaining. I will pick a bone with those who call them "clowns." They're both very talented tennis players. That they're given to histrionics or displays for the crowd isn't the worst thing that ever happened to tennis. It just might not be the best for theirs. But tell me who won't have the popcorn and be watching that match.

To early for me to have popcorn. But I am with you in spirit.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Monfils is highly entertaining but imagine if his hip is in bits a few days later. Is it really worth it?! Would love to sit down and add up how much time he's missed from injury. Gotta be a lot. Nutcase.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ That was in reference to the clip Iona posted.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of good matches later. Way more than yesterday and they're all clashing :/ Stepanek - Gulbis should be very good hopefully but Federer and Djokovic are playing at the same time after that match and pretty good opponents in each case so I guess I'll have to flick between those and also wouldn't mind watching a few games of Cibulkova - Stosur which is also on same time as Gulbis v Stepanek. Annoying. Tsonga v Janowicz could be good hopefully later in the day.

Wonder will Berdych survive Bautista-Agut.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Wonder will Berdych survive Bautista-Agut.

I think that's a decent question. I'll be watching that match.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
golds girl said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
golds girl said:
The question would be have better posed of Dimitrov who the 'casual' tennis fan has been more exposed to. Cause keep in mind, the folks who watch tennis only when it comes onto ESPN are pretty casual. This was probably the first time they've seen or heard of Thiem, so they're making a judgment off of this one match

That's a great point. Even hardcore tennis fans have a hard time seeing Thiem in action, so you're right -- the casual fan would be clueless.

Exactly, and, tbh, I thought the only "hype" of Thiem was mostly internal here, because johnsteinbeck had introduced us to him. And just now, more widely, because he was in Rafa's draw. (Especially with the attrition rate in his half over the last couple of days.)

That's what I was thinking Moxie. I'm thinking now that all these pundits (and players for that matter) are totally reading our forums ;)

They are! Note in the comments section of our article on Thiem:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/blogs/tennis-international-access/on-the-cherry-path-an-up-and-coming-player-and-his-unusual-coach/

Andy Brenner, who blogs on the official Roland Garros website, tells us he used info from our piece in his, though he didn't mention us. :mad:

Also, Ian Eagle told several stories on ESPN today during his commentary about Thiem and Sepp Resnick that can only have come from our article, I'm fairly certain. (Via google search.)

britbox said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
And I wouldn't say the hype is warranted as A) Other than Bodo picking Thiem to win (LOL), I didn't see that much hype beyond "this kid is talented," and B) Thiem showed that he's talented, nothing more, nothing less (and that's not a knock on him as he shouldn't have been expected to do more).

Bodo is always trying to hit the home run. I'm not sure if he's trying to be controversial to drum up conversation or trying to be the only guy on the planet who called the major upset. Either way, he's made so many ridiculous predictions it's become a bit of a "cry wolf" scenario. As a poster on here (huntingyou) used to say... If you predict it will rain every day, then one day it will and you'll be right. Pretty much sums up Bodo's bizarre predictions.

I like Thiem personally but his arc of development isn't at that stage yet.

Also during that match, Annacone rather took Bodo on, I think. He said something about "so-called experts" tipping Thiem for the upset, why that was ridiculous at this point, and said that it "lessens their credibility." :laydownlaughing

Did he talk about the "Unnamed Player"?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Annacone seems to be more sanguine than that. I think that was part of his point.

R

Rose

I've really missed the Forum thanks to "Comcrap". Prime posting time during the F.O. and I had to be off the forum for like 3 day :(

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rose said:
I've really missed the Forum thanks to "Comcrap". Prime posting time during the F.O. and I had to be off the forum for like 3 day :(

Glad you're back for the meat of the tournament.:)