Roland Garros Day 5: Thursday, May 29 - Order of Play

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
britbox said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
And I wouldn't say the hype is warranted as A) Other than Bodo picking Thiem to win (LOL), I didn't see that much hype beyond "this kid is talented," and B) Thiem showed that he's talented, nothing more, nothing less (and that's not a knock on him as he shouldn't have been expected to do more).

Bodo is always trying to hit the home run. I'm not sure if he's trying to be controversial to drum up conversation or trying to be the only guy on the planet who called the major upset. Either way, he's made so many ridiculous predictions it's become a bit of a "cry wolf" scenario. As a poster on here (huntingyou) used to say... If you predict it will rain every day, then one day it will and you'll be right. Pretty much sums up Bodo's bizarre predictions.

I like Thiem personally but his arc of development isn't at that stage yet.

Yeah, I agree. It's this sort of prediction that makes you look like a genius in the off chance it happens, but doesn't get you much flack (unless it's from assholes like me, lol) if you hit it wrong because everyone just thinks he didn't really mean it (and he didn't). I just find it annoying because a prediction, by definition, should be something you believe is going to happen, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Same as people voting for their favourite player even when they don't think he's going to win or voting against players they dislike. It's dense. Deep down you need to think logically and say if I were to stick down €1,000/$1,000 who would I stick the money on. Without logic predictions and stupid voting in polls are just laughable.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Front242 said:
The start of set 3 showed Thiem's obvious potential but I've no idea why he wanted to emulate Gasquet out there. Playing 10 feet behind the baseline isn't even working for Nadal these days so clearly it's not a winning tactic. Had he stayed up by the baseline more he would've done a lot better.

A lot of the time it's not really a matter of choice. One handers generally force players to stand a little back in order to take big cuts at the ball (it's rare to see a one-handed backhand player with a short, compact backswing). It's not coincidence that Wawrinka, Gasquet, and Dimitrov all have the same problem (though of course there are exceptions like Federer or Ljubicic). Add to that the fact that you're playing Rafael Nadal on clay and you're forced to take the ball at shoulder height every time, and it's a terrible combination. If you're not comfortable to step in and take it early, what often happens against Nadal on clay is you have to wait for the ball to drop even more before you hit, and thus, step back even more. It really doesn't help that it's difficult to outright practice for this scenario. Not a lot of people hit the ball with that sort of spin (read: nobody).

The best option for a one handed righthander player is not to concede the baseline and hit their bhs dtl to rob Rafa of his precious rthymn( Nicky A and Stan are the best at this), however it aint so easy

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No more matches worth watching today for me at least.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
wall to wall sunshine where I am, not a million miles from paris..:cool: still not too warm 16c 61f.. I think its meant to get a bit warmer and a bit more sun in the next days.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Funny how, up til last week, Kohli had never beaten Istomin in their 4 previous meetings. Then Kohli finally comes through at Dusseldorf, and now he is cruising against Denis today.

Looking forward to a PEHK/Mur 3rd rounder. I think Kohli can knock him off, and claim another high seed in the 3rd round at a Major.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Berlocq sounds like a sea lion with diarrhea, no offense.

That's true.

Then I watched Kvitova, and kept thinking I needed to call animal control to report my neighbors.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I am very glad Annacone is on Tennis channel. He has a great sense of humor. They were interviewing him with Sloane and it was fun. For years, Annacone was the guy that set court side with no emotions showing. It was great to see and hear the guy being himself.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Sock's forehand is becoming a huge weapon for him fast. Power, spin, everything...

If you can find his backhand though, it might the worst in the top 100.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Riotbeard said:
1972Murat said:
Sock's forehand is becoming a huge weapon for him fast. Power, spin, everything...

If you can find his backhand though, it might the worst in the top 100.
He definitely needs work there but he hid it so well today. It looked like he was only hitting forehands. Of course the top guys will not let him do that.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Verdy in trouble. Down 2 sets and on serve in the 3rd 5-5

EDIT: He breaks and holds to take the set 7-5. Let's see if he come all the way back.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
2 clowns on one court, should be entertaining.