Roland Garros Day 5: Thursday, May 29 - Order of Play

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And I wouldn't say the hype is warranted as A) Other than Bodo picking Thiem to win (LOL), I didn't see that much hype beyond "this kid is talented," and B) Thiem showed that he's talented, nothing more, nothing less (and that's not a knock on him as he shouldn't have been expected to do more).

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
The question would be have better posed of Dimitrov who the 'casual' tennis fan has been more exposed to. Cause keep in mind, the folks who watch tennis only when it comes onto ESPN are pretty casual. This was probably the first time they've seen or heard of Thiem, so they're making a judgment off of this one match

tented

Administrator
Reactions
golds girl said:
The question would be have better posed of Dimitrov who the 'casual' tennis fan has been more exposed to. Cause keep in mind, the folks who watch tennis only when it comes onto ESPN are pretty casual. This was probably the first time they've seen or heard of Thiem, so they're making a judgment off of this one match

That's a great point. Even hardcore tennis fans have a hard time seeing Thiem in action, so you're right -- the casual fan would be clueless.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I'm a huge Thiem fan - and I think I was totally realistic in believing this match would be a runaway by Nadal, while giving Dominic a chance to show the world (well, at least those who were watching) that the hype is legit, and that this is a real up-and-comer.

Glad Dominic showed some of those flashes of brilliance. And glad he had the experience of playing the best in the world (on clay) on clay's biggest stage. Hope he learned a lot (you cannot win from 10 feet behind the baseline against Rafa being lesson #1), and hoped he enjoyed the experience.

If you are a fan, you probably know that Dominic always posts post-match assessments on his Facebook page. I am looking forward to reading what he has to say about today's match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
golds girl said:

That's a great point. Even hardcore tennis fans have a hard time seeing Thiem in action, so you're right -- the casual fan would be clueless.

Exactly, and, tbh, I thought the only "hype" of Thiem was mostly internal here, because johnsteinbeck had introduced us to him. And just now, more widely, because he was in Rafa's draw. (Especially with the attrition rate in his half over the last couple of days.)

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I also think sometimes people's preconceived notions heavily influence perception. If there wasn't talk of Thiem being this talented up and comer before the match, I'd have been pretty surprised to see such praise after a 6-2 6-2 6-3 match. Not trying to discredit him by any means but we've seen lesser hyped players challenge top players early in a slam in a far greater way and not get nearly as much praise.

People tend to go overboard whenever someone hits a one-handed backhand too (see Dimitrov, Gasquet, etc...).

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Re: RE: Roland Garros Day 5: Thursday, May 29 - Order of Play

Moxie629 said:
tented said:
golds girl said:

Exactly, and, tbh, I thought the only "hype" of Thiem was mostly internal here, because johnsteinbeck had introduced us to him. And just now, more widely, because he was in Rafa's draw. (Especially with the attrition rate in his half over the last couple of days.)

That's what I was thinking Moxie. I'm thinking now that all these pundits (and players for that matter) are totally reading our forums ;)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
People tend to go overboard whenever someone hits a one-handed backhand too (see Dimitrov, Gasquet, etc...).

:laydownlaughing :lolz:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Moxie629 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

One hander shall prevail ! All one handers of the world, unite ! The weaklings who need two hands to hit a shot, we are coming for you...!

:laydownlaughing

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

I don't think it is just the 1 HBH, it also has to do with the fact there are very very few players in their early 20's that have shown even the slightest potential. Everyone is quick to jump on one that does. Look at Jerzy, everyone was quick to call him the 2nd coming after 2012 Paris.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
DarthFed said:
Moxie629 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

I don't think it is just the 1 HBH, it also has to do with the fact there are very very few players in their early 20's that have shown even the slightest potential. Everyone is quick to jump on one that does. Look at Jerzy, everyone was quick to call him the 2nd coming after 2012 Paris.

That is true Darth. Even us devoted fans of Roger, Rafa or whomever, we are all dying to see someone come up and blow us away. We are hungry for fresh blood like a fasting vampire.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
theim will rise quickly..looking at him he has loads of promise, nice feathery touches with half volleys and stuff.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Dominic's assessment of his performance:

"2:6, 2:6, 3:6 against Rafael Nadal. I didn't play a bad match. But many details were not good enough to make it a test for him. Most of them were real rookie-errors. Easy unforced errors. They happen because you want to play better on clay against Rafael Nadal than you want to play against anybody else. And because he absolutely doesn't help you. No errors, no presents. It was a mega experience to stand on the biggest clay court in the world together with the best claycourt player in the world. I unconditionally want to make that experience that again. And the next time I want to come one step closer. This is a big goal and worth working for it as hard as I can. Thanks for your incredible support!"

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
And I wouldn't say the hype is warranted as A) Other than Bodo picking Thiem to win (LOL), I didn't see that much hype beyond "this kid is talented," and B) Thiem showed that he's talented, nothing more, nothing less (and that's not a knock on him as he shouldn't have been expected to do more).

Bodo is always trying to hit the home run. I'm not sure if he's trying to be controversial to drum up conversation or trying to be the only guy on the planet who called the major upset. Either way, he's made so many ridiculous predictions it's become a bit of a "cry wolf" scenario. As a poster on here (huntingyou) used to say... If you predict it will rain every day, then one day it will and you'll be right. Pretty much sums up Bodo's bizarre predictions.

I like Thiem personally but his arc of development isn't at that stage yet.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The start of set 3 showed Thiem's obvious potential but I've no idea why he wanted to emulate Gasquet out there. Playing 10 feet behind the baseline isn't even working for Nadal these days so clearly it's not a winning tactic. Had he stayed up by the baseline more he would've done a lot better.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Bodo is always trying to hit the home run. I'm not sure if he's trying to be controversial to drum up conversation or trying to be the only guy on the planet who called the major upset. Either way, he's made so many ridiculous predictions it's become a bit of a "cry wolf" scenario. As a poster on here (huntingyou) used to say... If you predict it will rain every day, then one day it will and you'll be right. Pretty much sums up Bodo's bizarre predictions.

I like Thiem personally but his arc of development isn't at that stage yet.

Yeah, I agree. It's this sort of prediction that makes you look like a genius in the off chance it happens, but doesn't get you much flack (unless it's from assholes like me, lol) if you hit it wrong because everyone just thinks he didn't really mean it (and he didn't). I just find it annoying because a prediction, by definition, should be something you believe is going to happen, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
The start of set 3 showed Thiem's obvious potential but I've no idea why he wanted to emulate Gasquet out there. Playing 10 feet behind the baseline isn't even working for Nadal these days so clearly it's not a winning tactic. Had he stayed up by the baseline more he would've done a lot better.

A lot of the time it's not really a matter of choice. One handers generally force players to stand a little back in order to take big cuts at the ball (it's rare to see a one-handed backhand player with a short, compact backswing). It's not a coincidence that Wawrinka, Gasquet, and Dimitrov all have the same problem (though of course there are exceptions like Federer or Ljubicic). Add to that the fact that you're playing Rafael Nadal on clay and you're forced to take the ball at shoulder height every time, and it's a terrible combination. If you're not comfortable to step in and take it early, what often happens against Nadal on clay is you have to wait for the ball to drop even more before you hit, and thus, step back even more. It really doesn't help that it's difficult to outright practice for this scenario. Not a lot of people hit the ball with that sort of spin (read: nobody).