Rogers Cup 2019, Montreal, Canada, ATP Masters 1000

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that Front called a tough match. Who won? Rafa. Moving on.
Rafa was worried about Evans game as much as an Elephant worries about a fly on his big thick ass.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
FAA advances as Milos retires after winning the second set. Not sure what is bothering him but it is always one thing or the other.
FAA will play on his birthday tomorrow against Stan or Khachanov. Happens to be Roger's birthday too.
I will check out some ladies action in Toronto tomorrow, got some day session tickets.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA advances as Milos retires after winning the second set. Not sure what is bothering him but it is always one thing or the other.
FAA will play on his birthday tomorrow against Stan or Khachanov. Happens to be Roger's birthday too.
I will check out some ladies action in Toronto tomorrow, got some day session tickets.

I have vague memories of FAA recently beating two Canadians in a row in some other tournament. Am I just feeling dejavu or did it happen. I think it did.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Khachanov with the win over Stan and Garin comprehensively over Isner.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Khachanov with the win over Stan and Garin comprehensively over Isner.

The bottom half of the draw is the land of opportunity for a couple of players: Khachanov and Medvedev are fighting for the 8th seed at the US Open. Cilic and Felix are trying to get a top 16 seed at the US Open.

Also, Pella can be a tricky match for Nadal. Pella played Nadal well at Monte Carlo earlier this year. Hopefully Nadal can win that in two sets.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
He beat Popsicle at Wimby, but no other Canadian...Hmmm...

Ya, you are right. He has not beaten Canadians back to back.

I looked it up to figure out why I had such a feeling.

It is probably because he has beaten all of them before this tourney. He beat Pops at Wimby, Milos at Stuttgart and Shapo at Madrid.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Players who were "supposed" to play Ralph, keep exiting one by one. D-Minor started the trend. Then, Goffin the first projected seeded opponent of Ralph went out early. Now, Coric also got out. I hope Fog reaches QF and stops Ralph.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Players who were "supposed" to play Ralph, keep exiting one by one. D-Minor started the trend. Then, Goffin the first projected seeded opponent of Ralph went out early. Now, Coric also got out. I hope Fog reaches QF and stops Ralph.
Even I'm not paying that much attention, and I really care. But thanks for the update on Rafa's draw opening up. Fognini looks like he'll get past Paul, but, so far, not imposingly.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, Gasquet beat Kei. Is anyone else surprised that Richie improves his H2H over Kei to 8-3? Anyway, it surprised me.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And Fabio gets it done!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On a serious note, this tournament is a golden opportunity for Nadal to not only be the number 2 seed at the US Open but also increase his lead over Djokovic at the total Masters 1000 titles. In addition and the most important thing is that I hope he is 100% both physically and mentally for the US Open!

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On a serious note, this tournament is a golden opportunity for Nadal to not only be the number 2 seed at the US Open but also increase his lead over Djokovic at the total Masters 1000 titles. In addition and the most important thing is that I hope he is 100% both physically and mentally for the US Open!
¡Ojalá! on both counts. (As we say in Spanish.)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ya, you are right. He has not beaten Canadians back to back.

I looked it up to figure out why I had such a feeling.

It is probably because he has beaten all of them before this tourney. He beat Pops at Wimby, Milos at Stuttgart and Shapo at Madrid.
Felix did not beat Milos in Stuttgart. Milos withdrew.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think Tsi (4, ranked 5) sensational loss to Hurkacz is on par with (or even bigger than) Kei loss to Gasqet. Anyone reckons Tsi is still not a firmly established great player, despite his high ranking, if he is so vulnerable?