Rogers Cup 2019, Montreal, Canada, ATP Masters 1000

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Khachanov-Medvedev is an important match as the winner of the match will have a high chance of getting the number 8th seed at the US Open meaning they avoid one of the Big Three until the Quarterfinals.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Got it done! Strong finish for Rafa. Discussion now about FF's injury at the net. Nice.

Reactions: rafanoy1992

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Why do you even care? Roger's not playing here.

I hate Nadal doing well, isn't that obvious by now. Also rather he doesn't get the 2 seed which on paper is his only hope at USO

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hate Nadal doing well, isn't that obvious by now. Also rather he doesn't get the 2 seed which on paper is his only hope at USO
I guess I just wanted you to say it. Well, Rafa won. :finger:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Got it done! Strong finish for Rafa. Discussion now about FF's injury at the net. Nice.

Two more matches, Moxie! Tomorrow should be an "easier" match-up for Nadal against either Monfils or Bautista-Agut especially if the Monfils-Agut match goes late...

Reactions: Moxie

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fognini needing trainer and the doctor. That's odd. Seems legit, but I wish all of those Fed fans would watch this and remember when they complain about MTOs. They happen.
So you are comparing Fogna’s MTO to the ones that Nadal used to take when he wanted to break the opponent’s rhythm. It looks like Nadal has outgrown his penchant for MTOs, but he still uses other tactics to annoy opponents, like he did at Wimbledon against Federer. Nadal is an opportunist.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So you are comparing Fogna’s MTO to the ones that Nadal used to take when he wanted to break the opponent’s rhythm. It looks like Nadal has outgrown his penchant for MTO, but he still uses other tactics to annoy opponents, like he did at Wimbledon against Federer. Nadal is an opportunist.
Yes, I am comparing them. And so are you, because you're saying that Rafa doesn't do it anymore. Funny that it bothers you when Rafa does it, but not his opponent.

Is Rafa an opportunist? Yes, he is, and so is Novak and Roger, in the best way. They rarely see a window that they won't find their way through. That's why they are great champions. You look for gamesmanship, because you are biased. What you forget to see is excellent tennis, unparalleled by the also rans that they play. Did Fognini play some good tennis today? Yes, he did. Did Evans play some great tennis yesterday? Yes, he did. Is Rafa just on another plane from them? Yes, he is.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Two more matches, Moxie! Tomorrow should be an "easier" match-up for Nadal against either Monfils or Bautista-Agut especially if the Monfils-Agut match goes late...
Agreed, esp. as now the late match is suspended due to rain. I'm not worried for the SFs, but whoever wins in the Medvedev v KK is going to be a big challenge.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Ralph has cup cake draw, Novak has difficult draw and Roger has medium draw in Cincy.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed, esp. as now the late match is suspended due to rain. I'm not worried for the SFs, but whoever wins in the Medvedev v KK is going to be a big challenge.

I think if Khachanov is in the final then yes it will be a big challenge because Khachanov plays Nadal very tough. If it is Medvedev, then I think Nadal "might" win more comfortably because they have not played each other yet. Also Medvedev is like the bigger version of Simon which means if Nadal is sharp, then Nadal can bully him around the court.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It looks like the quarterfinal match between Agut and Monfils has been postponed until 1 pm local time tomorrow. Tough break for either player as the winner will have to come back later that night to play against Nadal!

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I think if Khachanov is in the final then yes it will be a big challenge because Khachanov plays Nadal very tough. If it is Medvedev, then I think Nadal "might" win more comfortably because they have not played each other yet. Also Medvedev is like the bigger version of Simon which means if Nadal is sharp, then Nadal can bully him around the court.

So's Rafa hedging his bets? I thought he was skipping Cincy! Now that Fed's overtaken him in live rankings, he's put in a bid to play? :whistle:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
So's Rafa hedging his bets? I thought he was skipping Cincy! Now that Fed's overtaken him in live rankings, he's put in a bid to play? :whistle:

Rafa definitely skips Cincy if he wins this week. Makes it extra important for the rat to be snuffed out.

Reactions: Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, I am comparing them. And so are you, because you're saying that Rafa doesn't do it anymore. Funny that it bothers you when Rafa does it, but not his opponent.

Is Rafa an opportunist? Yes, he is, and so is Novak and Roger, in the best way. They rarely see a window that they won't find their way through. That's why they are great champions. You look for gamesmanship, because you are biased. What you forget to see is excellent tennis, unparalleled by the also rans that they play. Did Fognini play some good tennis today? Yes, he did. Did Evans play some great tennis yesterday? Yes, he did. Is Rafa just on another plane from them? Yes, he is.

No he's not on another plane than them. He got lucky in set 1 against Evans and no one knows how it would've gone down if he'd lost that first set although you and others here would clearly have expected him to win. That's just your opinion though. Evans gave Federer a tough match last year at the USO. He's a decent player and no way is Nadal on a different plane than him as the score showed. Another plane would indicate he should stomp him 6-2 6-2 but it was 7-6 (8) 6-4. Different plane my arse.

Fognini has had a lot of injury problems the last few months: Ankle, elbow, leg. He went from dominating the first set 6-2 to winning just 3 more games so it's pretty obvious it was a legit injury and far different from taking a MTO while losing to stop your opponent's momentum and then winning. He lost and he lost badly 'cos he was clearly impaired.

https://www.completesports.com/int/fognini-take-break-after-french-open/
https://www.essentiallysports.com/fabio-fognini-pulls-out-of-estoril-open/

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
No he's not on another plane than them. He got lucky in set 1 against Evans and no one knows how it would've gone down if he'd lost that first set although you and others here would clearly have expected him to win. That's just your opinion though. Evans gave Federer a tough match last year at the USO. He's a decent player and no way is Nadal on a different plane than him as the score showed. Another plane would indicate he should stomp him 6-2 6-2 but it was 7-6 (8) 6-4. Different plane my arse.

Fognini has had a lot of injury problems the last few months: Ankle, elbow, leg. He went from dominating the first set 6-2 to winning just 3 more games so it's pretty obvious it was a legit injury and far different from taking a MTO while losing to stop your opponent's momentum and then winning. He lost and he lost badly 'cos he was clearly impaired.

https://www.completesports.com/int/fognini-take-break-after-french-open/
https://www.essentiallysports.com/fabio-fognini-pulls-out-of-estoril-open/

but only nadal's injuries count :D

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Karen could reach final and maybe win ???