Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Djokovic in 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I would argue that Novak may be in his final last "prime"--we all know the previous years he was in the zone. The way he lifted his game in the fourth set to a level I haven't seen from him on clay before. Even Rafa has said of Novak (not referencing clay) that when Novak is on a certain level he is untouchable--that from his greatest (gracious but honest) rival....

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Beating Nadal at the French Open is probably the toughest thing in sport today but it's a fact that beating him at 35 isn't the same as beating him at 22/23. Same applies to beating old grandad Federer at Wimbledon....
8629A5B2-B394-43BC-97A4-33C74A361226.gif

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Seems to me you;re trying to take something away or undermine this win for Djokovic! I personally couldn't GAF! Nadal's out; I'm thrilled! Nole winning it SUNDAY would only icing on the cake! :yahoo:
FFS, the initial point was whether or not I was making an excuse for Rafa not beating Novak in his prime at the AO. Light years away from today, and in no way implies I’m trying to take something away or undermine this win. Novak deserved to win, and he did.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
These battles are mostly mental.... These guys put tremendous pressure on each other, knowing any easy serve, easy groundtsorke can be punished and knowing they need to red line since both are great defenders. Nadal made uncharacteristic # of double faults and that volley miss was crazy... but it was tightness IMO. Rafa started unbelievably strong, dominating Novak... Novak felt the pressure and he himself had some letdowns. Novak then started to, very deliberately, attack Nadal's bh and things started to become more difficult.. i could sense Nadal was getting frustrated and started to miss more shots than he usually does... but it's not as easy as to say 'he just played bad'... it was high quality and a mental battle which even gets to them.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This one doesn't hurt like AO 2012 or SW19 2018 when I knew Rafa was the BEST player .The better tennis won today..no doubt..Novak was willing to die on the court Today..No excuses..Rafa is still my champion and he competed the best he could..I'm still very proud of him. Congrats to Novak's fans ..

That being said , I hope the young Greek kick Novak's "ole"junk into the clay ..Vamos Tstispas..( if Novak plays like today, he will win his 2nd RG)

T

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
These battles are mostly mental.... These guys put tremendous pressure on each other, knowing any easy serve, easy groundtsorke can be punished and knowing they need to red line since both are great defenders. Nadal made uncharacteristic # of double faults and that volley miss was crazy... but it was tightness IMO. Rafa started unbelievably strong, dominating Novak... Novak felt the pressure and he himself had some letdowns. Novak then started to, very deliberately, attack Nadal's bh and things started to become more difficult.. i could sense Nadal was getting frustrated and started to miss more shots than he usually does... but it's not as easy as to say 'he just played bad'... it was high quality and a mental battle which even gets to them.
Plus both playing for a massive part of history has to weigh on the mind heavily and affect clarity of thought on shot selection as well as reflexes, nerves, serves, basically everything.

Reactions: napo and tented

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak going to Ralph's BH again and again in the same rally is a brilliant strategy that paid off heavily.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
rafa was 5-0 up was he not ?. looking like 2020 again.

djoko got a hidden doughnut in 4th from 0-2down to 6-2up.

this is this.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
One question ❓ I would love to ask Nadal. Why for the sake of God's name does Rafa hits the ball with so much less aggression than he does in practice. What in the heck does he has to loose. He is the all time grand slam title co holder with Roger. He should be opening his shoulders and riping the cover off the ball. Please answer me that one question Mr Rafa Nadal!

• Haha

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Let’s be honest! Was Novak dominant? No. He certainly gave Nadal plenty of opportunities to get back into this match, but he held up well. So, this was certainly a feel good, important victory in which Novak hasn’t had many against Nadal here, and it certainly makes up for his terrible showing last year. Will this victory help Novak in future matches against Nadal? I certainly hope so.

I was right though Novak settled in and started to play after he broke Nadal.

I’m not sure why people are talking about age.
They both are roughly the same age give or take and both pretty evenly matched physically and mentally. This match showed as much.

Hopefully, Novak goes one step further and gets a second RG. It certainly will make Wimbledon more interesting. Would be interesting if we went into the US Open with a 3-way tie

Reactions: napo

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I did not see much of the match but I will soon. Amazing victory for the Serbian Slayer—a key one against one of his two great rivals. Kudos to Nole!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What a match. Legends of the sport, what a time to watch tennis. The longer their rivalry lasts the more history they bring into their matches the more iconic their battles become.

napo

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Let’s be honest! Was Novak dominant? No. He certainly gave Nadal plenty of opportunities to get back into this match, but he held up well. So, this was certainly a feel good, important victory in which Novak hasn’t had many against Nadal here, and it certainly makes up for his terrible showing last year. Will this victory help Novak in future matches against Nadal? I certainly hope so.

I was right though Novak settled in and started to play after he broke Nadal.

I’m not sure why people are talking about age.
They both are roughly the same age give or take and both pretty evenly matched physically and mentally. This match showed as much.

Hopefully, Novak goes one step further and gets a second RG. It certainly will make Wimbledon more interesting. Would be interesting if we went into the US Open with a 3-way tie
Amen!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
What a match. Legends of the sport, what a time to watch tennis. The longer their rivalry lasts the more history they bring into their matches the more iconic their battles become.

It was thought nothing would surpass Laver and Rosewall! They're being left in the dust after this one! In a lot of ways, this outdid 2012 AO! :yes:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It was thought nothing would surpass Laver and Rosewall! They're being left in the dust after this one! In a lot of ways, this outdid 2012 AO! :yes:
You think,I was there live at the AO 2012,it took years off my life.D.
BTW I cannot afford years off my life :)