Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well these are the nuances that help make cases when it comes to close resumes. Now Novak needs to get it together and get the gold at the Olympics.
I've got nothing for Olympic devotees! I never cared for tennis pros going to an amateur event no matter the sport really! Edberg winning in '84 as an exhibition was ok, but by '88 I was just SMH "Nooooooo!" It sucks IMO; esp. when the top players go thinking it's an entitlement and something to complete their resumes! :face-vomiting:

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
Amazing match. Novak did what i thought he needed to do, attack Nadal's bh, use his down the line bh. He relentlessly attacked Raf's bh... The old patterns of going to Nadal's fh was not working as Nadal's down the line fh has been lethal.

yes, nadal missed that 'easy' volley, made uncharacteristic double faults but remember, this happened to Novak when he was up in 5th set, in 13 semis. These guys put tremendous pressure on each other.... it gets tight.

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
Let's see what happens in next few years but this win was big. Novak now has two wins over Rafa at RG and 3 wins vs Federer at Wimbledon finals? That's impressive. He holds record # weeks at #1, at the top of masters win. Once won all 4 majors in a row, has a winning record vs Fed and Rafa.... If he wins sunday, would've won each slam at least twice... neither Fed nor Nadal have done this. Novak is on his way to being GOAT.... but anything can happen

napo

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Your comment was “no one outplayed him on Chartier in 4” — Robin Soderling did, and in a much more dominant manner than what Novak just did.
I thought it’s clear, Novak’s win is more dominant of course, he didn’t have to play 2TB.
Last set was huge.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Your comment was “no one outplayed him on Chartier in 4” — Robin Soderling did, and in a much more dominant manner than what Novak just did.
Except that Nadalites attach an asterisk to it. Hopefully, this time they won't do that.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay I'm off to sleep, enjoy the rest of the day/night guys. See ya.

Reactions: napo

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought it’s clear, Novak’s win is more dominant of course, he didn’t have to play 2TB.
Last set was huge.
Yeah but this is 2021 not 2009 :) Nadal is 35 now, not in his prime like he was in 2009. Bearing that in mind, I'm leaning heavily towards Soderling. Nadal didn't serve this badly in 2009 either. Both great performances though 100%

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Last set was huge.
No way was Novak’s more dominant today. Domination means a beat down, such as what Rafa did to Roger here in the 2008 final. That was domination. Today Novak won, of course, but it wasn’t a massacre. Soderling hit Rafa off the court, as @Front242 (most notabley) and others will confirm. Now that was domination.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh boy, the commies were talking about Novak possibly winning calendar grand slam and reaching 21. That would completely killy the GOAT debate.

If he gets Olympic Gold to go with it, that will be a calendar golden slam like Steffi Graff did once.

• Wow

napo

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Yeah but this is 2021 not 2009 :) Nadal is 35 now, not in his prime like he was in 2009. Bearing that in mind, I'm leaning heavily towards Soderling. Nadal didn't serve this badly in 2009 either. Both great performances though 100%
Whatever, I will like to rewatch both matches, and never get tired ;)

napo

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
No way was Novak’s more dominant today. Domination means a beat down, such as what Rafa did to Roger here in the 2008 final. That was domination. Today Novak won, of course, but it wasn’t a massacre. Soderling hit Rafa off the court, as @Front242 (most notabley) and others will confirm. Now that was domination.
This win was more dominant, IMO.
SF, lesser games won by Rafa , more tension, biggest rival, more at stake and and and….