Race to London O2 - 2015 Edition

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
^^
There is a significant story, and that rests with your boy. The ATP is pressuring him to play, and I would think they would be gracious enough to realize the Davis Cup is significant for him and for his country. Not a fan of Murray, but the ATP pressuring him to play the WTF is lame.

It's a tough spot for the top players who qualify for the WTF and Davis Cup final. We saw what happened with Fed last year. I really like the WTF and its format so I was ticked off with Fed when he staggered to a victory over Stan in the semis and then withdrew, only to play a week later. But there was no answer to that situation. Should Fed should have lost on purpose when he "tweeked" his back in that tibreak? Heck no. But I wish he had lost so we could have seen a Djoko-Stan final. Maybe one of the things the ATP needs to figure out. I love both events and I don't want one to suffer for the other.

The $1,000,000 question: If I were Murray, what would I do?

Drop out of the WTF, pay the fine and put everything into winning the Davis Cup for Great Britain. If he does that, he will be swimming in adulation and knightships in that country for the rest of his life. Not that he isn't already but I'll bet GBR will gladly pay his fine or whatever if he commits that much to winning it for his country.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
What's the penalty for Andy if he drops out of the WTF? Whatever it is, a doctors note should cover it...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
What's the penalty for Andy if he drops out of the WTF? Whatever it is, a doctors note should cover it...

According to the ATP Rulebook, "If a player qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals as a direct acceptance or designated as the alternate, fails or refuses to participate in this event, except for bona fide injury or other reason which constitutes good cause, the player shall not be in good standing."

Players not in good standing shall face this punishment:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lefP0_ZM-Lw[/video]

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal qualified for London today

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think that's been his goal since the FO...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

According to the ATP Rulebook, "If a player qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals as a direct acceptance or designated as the alternate, fails or refuses to participate in this event, except for bona fide injury or other reason which constitutes good cause, the player shall not be in good standing."

Players not in good standing shall face this punishment:

Technically, players not in good standing can be barred from entering into any ATP event for an year.
So, if ATP really wants, they can ban Andy for the entire 2016 from playing in any ATP tourney. However, needless to say that ATP would not go to that extent.

First of all that situation would not arise as I think Andy will actually play WTF, but may not take it very seriously.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It is not just Rafa. Berdych also has officially qualified now for the WTF. So, six of the eight spots are taken and two more to go. Samurai is next in line with about 3945 points and little beast next in line with about 3445 points and there is a huge gap of more than 1000 points to get to the next person viz., Gasquet. A group of seven players starting from Gasquet are within a span of 400 points.

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions
Dimitrov was really disappointing this year. Not even close. O_O

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
zalvar said:
Dimitrov was really disappointing this year. Not even close. O_O

Dimitrov has sunk even among the players under 26 to # 6. Very sad.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
It is not just Rafa. Berdych also has officially qualified now for the WTF. So, six of the eight spots are taken and two more to go. Samurai is next in line with about 3945 points and little beast next in line with about 3445 points and there is a huge gap of more than 1000 points to get to the next person viz., Gasquet. A group of seven players starting from Gasquet are within a span of 400 points.

It is really the alternates who are yet to be decided, the top 8 is a sure bet.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsonga is now the first alternate and Gasquet is the second alternate

Kei is playing in Basel-500 and Paris-1000.
Ferrer is playing in Vienna-500, Valencia-250 and Paris-1000.
Tsonga is playing in Vienna-500 and Paris-1000.
Gasquet is playing in Stockholm-250, Basel-500 and Paris-1000.
Anderson is playing in Vienna-500, Basel-500 and Paris-1000.

Kei and Ferrer will surely clinch their spots. Hope Tsonga makes it as the first alternate.
Also, hope Anderson makes as the second alternate (he is currently just 15 points behind
Gasquet, but provides much better fight than Gasquet when playing against Top 8).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy is 1120 points ahead of Roger in race. This means Roger has to outperform Andy by 1130 points to finish YE #2. Andy plays just in Bercy, WTF and DC. Roger plays in Basel, Bercy and WTF.
This will be the storyline to watch for the next month as it could be very tight race for #2.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Although at the top of the leaderboard is less excitement like in other years, it is still a lot at stake for the players below who are positioning for the seeding at the beginning of the next season, the AO respectively.
The only events which are influencing the AO seeding next year are going to be the 3 opening 250 events, other than that, the ranking will be mainly determined in the upcoming indoors events.

Like Tsonga for instance was just a few weeks back out of the top 16, now suddenly is back in the top 10.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
According to the current live rankings, Kei needs 220 points to qualify (independent of what other players do) and the only way to do that is by reaching SF (which will give 360 points) at Bercy. If seeding hold up, Kei should reach QF and then fail. Hence, there is some danger of Kei losing the spot.

However, that danger is not real as the above calculation is about Kei doing it independently of others.
Kei will certainly get help from others as others are way behind.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ferrer and Nishikori now are tied in the race to London with 3945 points, the only one who can still qualify is Richard Gasquet but he will need to win both Basel and Paris back to back.
What are the odds to that to happen? Close to that of me winning the jackpot at the lottery.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Ferrer and Nishikori now are tied in the race to London with 3945 points, the only one who can still qualify is Richard Gasquet but he will need to win both Basel and Paris back to back.
What are the odds to that to happen? Close to that of me winning the jackpot at the lottery.

They're going to need an alternate for Nishikori's 3rd match I'm sure. Gasquet!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
2 alternates are usually required and for those the race is wide opened.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
2 alternates are usually required and for those the race is wide opened.

Yep, Gasquet, Anderson, Cilic and Isner fighting for those two alternate spots.

Hope, Anderson and Cilic makes it.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Final eight are set!

CSpZxo-UAAA5G8y.jpg