Race to London O2 - 2015 Edition

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd like to see Gasquet make it. If only to reward him for his runs at Wimbo and Flushing Meadows. He's another veteran who's gotten serious about his career long after it's too late, but good for him what he's done this summer...

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
^ agreed. and talking about veterans - would be interesting to have another one of El Dude's age stat comparisons on the Race candidates as well as the last 8 at the uso - neither really seems like Kindergarten youngster territory at first glance.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
^ agreed. and talking about veterans - would be interesting to have another one of El Dude's age stat comparisons on the Race candidates as well as the last 8 at the uso - neither really seems like Kindergarten youngster territory at first glance.

The current top 10 is getting older and older. There was almost no change this year there, it was a closed club. And if Cilic loses today, a 26y old will fall out and replaced by either Simon or Gasquet or Anderson, that will make them even older in average.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After the USO is over, four spots are settled. Here are the leading 8 contenders for the remaining four spots.

5 Tomas Berdych CZE 3850
6 Kei Nishikori JPN 3765
7 Rafael Nadal ESP 3715
8 David Ferrer ESP 3005
9 Richard Gasquet FRA 2355
10 Kevin Anderson RSA 2205
11 John Isner USA 2180
12 Marin Cilic CRO 1965

With about 1360 points separating #7 and #9, I think it is fairly safe to say that Berdych, Kei and Rafa are shoe-in for London.

That leaves only one spot open. Who do you think will grab that?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
September 27, 2015 Update!

So far four are in:

WTF%20Members_zpsdrtrvigy.jpg

The next three appear to be safely in very soon:

WTF%20Next%203_zpsxfoojyfu.jpg

The following five are battling it our for the last spot:

WTF%20The%20last%20spot_zpsevdfbcyo.jpg

Who Will take it?

WTF Singles Race

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Samurai's loss and Fog clearing leads to Rafa getting to #6 in Race.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Rafa getting help from all sides it seems! Maybe Nole will make another contribution! lol! :cover :nono :popcorn :basiate

Well, he helped himself today, no? :dodgy: :-/ :p :cover

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Rafa getting help from all sides it seems! Maybe Nole will make another contribution! lol! :cover :nono :popcorn :basiate

Rafa got an invite into Nole's house. On the menu will be gluten free bakeries. :devil

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will probably climb one more spot and end up as YE #5.

He will be in top 4 before next year's RG.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

Or not. Starting next week Shanghai and the rest of events indoors I would favor Nishikori over Rafa on faster surfaces.
Shanghai is one the fastest surfaces also, I think he will not get too much traction there, similar to Cincy.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Or not. Starting next week Shanghai and the rest of events indoors I would favor Nishikori over Rafa on faster surfaces.
Shanghai is one the fastest surfaces also. I think he will not get too much traction there; similar to Cincy.

Murray's in Nole's half of the draw with the Spanish Armada of Lopez and Ferrer! We'll have to see if Roger and Rafa can get to one another in the semis; I doubt it! Kei and Stan are in their way respectively! One or both could be gone before it can even happen! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :p

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Shanghai is one the fastest surfaces also, I think he will not get too much traction there, similar to Cincy.

I agree that Shanghai is a fast court and Rafa is generally not very good in the fall indoor season.
But, there is no doubt in my mind that Rafa will qualify for the WTF though. Further, independent of where exactly he ends up (somewhere between 5 and 8) at the end of the year, there is a very high chance that he will make it to top four before RG begins and will be force to reckon with at RG (whether or not he ends up winning it).

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I agree that Shanghai is a fast court and Rafa is generally not very good in the fall indoor season.
But, there is no doubt in my mind that Rafa will qualify for the WTF though. Further, independent of where exactly he ends up (somewhere between 5 and 8) at the end of the year, there is a very high chance that he will make it to top four before RG begins and will be force to reckon with at RG (whether or not he ends up winning it).

I did not say he will not qualify for the WTF, he is virtually qualified, and I am also convinced Ferrer will qualify as well, who is way behind Rafa.
I just don't think he will sail to #5 by the end of the year.
About next year is way too early to speculate.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
My main point was that Rafa could probably climb to #5 by the end of this year, but definitely cannot do any better than that by the end of this year.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
According to the Live ATP Race rankings, it looks like Berdych and Nadal both can officially qualify for the WTF with one more win. Nishikori and Ferrer still have work to do but Gasquet, Anderson and Isner may have to do something amazing in the last few tournaments.

As it stands, it looks like these are the final eight.

CRYxCE5UEAEQ8mj.jpg

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This year's fall season is one of the most boring in terms of story lines to follow. #1 decided long ago. Also, there is almost no uncertainty in the qualifiers to London, no last minute computation of various scenarios.

Only two story lines are to see who finishes #2 and to see how much Ralph improves.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
This year's fall season is one of the most boring in terms of story lines to follow. #1 decided long ago. Also, there is almost no uncertainty in the qualifiers to London, no last minute computation of various scenarios.

Only two story lines are to see who finishes #2 and to see how much Ralph improves.

True. There's virtually nothing on the line at the WTF this year. Just another Indoor Major crown for Djokovic. Maybe there will at least be a final this year.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^
There is a significant story, and that rests with your boy. The ATP is pressuring him to play, and I would think they would be gracious enough to realize the Davis Cup is significant for him and for his country. Not a fan of Murray, but the ATP pressuring him to play the WTF is lame.