Race to London O2 - 2015 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
With three of four slams over, it is now time to think about London Qualifiers.
Here are the top 8.

1 Novak Djokovic (Q) SRB 9585
2 Andy Murray GBR 5700
3 Stan Wawrinka SUI 4590
4 Roger Federer SUI 4525
5 Tomas Berdych CZE 3480
6 Kei Nishikori JPN 2975
7 David Ferrer ESP 2915
8 Rafael Nadal ESP 2855

There is a huge drop of more than 1000 points after the #8 spot. Then, there are four people with less than 250 points separating them. However, the next four in line would surprise you. They are Gasquet, Raonic, Simon and Anderson. Dimitrov is way below #17 and Tsonga is giving him company at #18. Cilic is even worse at #21.

It is hard to imagine members of Big Four not making it. Yes, that includes Rafa as well. I don't see a reason why he won't make it there. Also, with Stan being a GS winner, just like last year he has an inside route even if he could not make it by virtue of points accumulated (but I do think he will make it directly).

That really leaves open three spots. I think Berdych and Kei will make it. Ferrer will probably not make it, especially considering he has injury concerns now. Most probably, Milos will end up taking that spot.

If that is how it pans out, there will just be one difference in the pool; Rafa instead of Cilic. Rafa qualified last year, but dropped out.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
someone unexpected to burst through ?..dimitrov gets a new coach and forgets the the last 6months and improves..? dunno..

or nick kygrios goes mental..in terms of mental amazing tennis results I mean not going mental in the head (he gonna do the latter anyway prob). he has the game to sneak into the top8 "race to London".

..umm. anyone else ?..maybe errrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ???????????. too early for borna coric, maybe 2016/17.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
someone unexpected to burst through ?..dimitrov gets a new coach and forgets the the last 6months and improves..? dunno..

or nick kygrios goes mental..in terms of mental amazing tennis results I mean not going mental in the head (he gonna do the latter anyway prob). he has the game to sneak into the top8 "race to London".

..umm. anyone else ?..maybe errrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ???????????. too early for borna coric, maybe 2016/17.

I will give a lot more chances to Simon than any of your young crew. They are not that good and consistent yet.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Look at the race rankings right now. After the top 8, there is more than 1000 points difference as mentioned in OP. More importantly the folks occupying the next few spots are known perennial losers like Gasuqet, Isner, Simon etc. So, if you really come down to a respectable name, the difference in points is even higher.

So, it may be the case that WTF is already determined this year without usual drama.

Only exception is that Ferrer has a chance of dropping out if his elbow does not heal quickly and/or he is not able to find his form quickly when he comes back.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole is the first one to qualify so soon. Congrats to him for this "feat"

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andy Murray qualified for the 2015 WTF with his quarterfinal win over Tsonga! :clap

British favourite Andy Murray has qualified for the 2015 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals after he defeated Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on Friday to reach the Rogers Cup semi-finals in Montreal. Murray has secured his place for an eighth straight year, joining World No. 1 Novak Djokovic as the second qualifier at the season finale, to be held at The O2 in London from 15-22 November.

Still looking to qualify:
3. Wawrinka
4. Federer
5. Nishikori
6. Nadal
7. Berdych
8. Ferrer
9. Isner
10. Gasquet

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Even though Stan hasn't qualified with "numbers" yet, who thinks the FO winner isn't going to Barclay; unless he's injured of course? When was the last GS winner to not be invited regardless of the rest of his season? I can't imagine a major finalist not making it; Heaven knows Soderling contributed to Nadal being embarrassed by him in Paris and London back in '09! ;-)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Isner is at #9 in live race. With Ferrer being questionable with injuries and Milos also feeling the effects of his foot surgery, may be Big John can squeak in to London this year (assuming he does not draw Kohlschrbrier at USO :) )

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Rog is 70 points away from officially qualifying for London.

So if he gets to the third round of the USO, he'll qualify, right?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I guess you guys are more interested in "how fast" players qualify! Is there any doubt with all the tournaments left he won't make it? There are still Masters and 500 tournaments left that no doubt he'll do well in; esp. with the gutless play of his fellow brethren on tour! :cover :puzzled :nono :angel:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
Bit harsh calling Andy and Novak gutless!

Why would you think I meant them? You know how I feel about every level of players out there! I'm talking about the "also-rans" who have all kinds of ability, but can't seem to finish when they have chances to take out elite players; Gasquet and Dimitrov to name a couple! Lopez finished off Nadal, but who doesn't these days? :p :angel: :dodgy:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
^ I was kidding :p

I didn't sleep well last night; up after 2 hours and on here for a bit before taking a quick nap! It's hard to laugh about anything at the moment! I'm draggin'; BIG TIME! I even missed the first set of the match today; not like I missed much! Roger's finally playing the way I thought he should years ago; relentless attacking! All the "know-it-alls" around here thought I was insane, but look at this week! Stefan finally got through to him and he's doing exactly what I thought he should be doing! :p :ras: :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I guess you guys are more interested in "how fast" players qualify! Is there any doubt with all the tournaments left he won't make it? There are still Masters and 500 tournaments left that no doubt he'll do well in; esp. with the gutless play of his fellow brethren on tour! :cover :puzzled :nono :angel:

How about accepting the brilliant play by Federer on one of his favorite courts instead of bashing the losing players as idiots or gutless?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kirijax said:
Fiero425 said:
tented said:

How about accepting the brilliant play by Federer on one of his favorite courts instead of bashing the losing players as idiots or gutless?

That's hard to take seriously when you include Murray who's won just a couple matches from the other elite players! He is an idiot who allows players with a lot less talent to extend him into "wars" on court that he needs to "rise like Lazarus" again and again! Don't you read my posts enough to know how I feel about all of them? I let it all hang out, including saving our posts to my blog for prosperity; a manifesto to some degree dealing with sports, TV, and politics! :popcorn - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2015/06/whats-up-topics-16-entries-0715-on.html -

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News: Fed has officially qualified for London now. :clap

So far, Novak, Andy and Fed have qualified.

Five spots left open.

Stan is next in line. Although he will make it directly by virtue of points, he is assured of a seat by virtue of winning RG.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Had a look, the roster actually seems set, unless Isner makes the final here or something.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News: In view of today's results of Stan and others, Stan has officially qualified for the WTF directly by virtue of accumulating enough points.

So, we now have Novak, Andy, Fed and Stan qualified. There are four more open spots.
Those will likely be filled by some of the following seven contenders.

5 Tomas Berdych CZE 3850
6 Kei Nishikori JPN 3765
7 Rafael Nadal ESP 3715
8 David Ferrer ESP 3005
9 Richard Gasquet FRA 2310
10 Kevin Anderson RSA 2205
11 John Isner USA 2180