Novak Djokovic is the fittest tennis player on the planet

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
Moxie629 said:
federberg said:
I think you've got this one wrong Moxie. Where is the evidence that it's self-destructive in Novak's case? Just because you swear and grump doesn't mean it's self-destructive. Mac is the obvious case in point.

I'm really not trying to spoil anyone's party. I'm just stating my own observation. Quick examples: Rome final 2012 and RG SF 2013: a disputed call threw Nole off, in both matches, and he hung onto it too long. He got broken shortly after, both times. Those matches were against Nadal on clay, so I like to think who was the better player, but do I kid myself that he didn't help his own cause by hanging onto a frustration longer than he should have? And the RG SF last year: Novak was cruising v. Gulbis, a known head-case, for 2 sets. Ernie went up an early break in the 3rd and Djokovic got very down on himself. Even the commentators said: "Could some remind Novak that he's up two sets?" OK, later we learned that Novak was feeling ill. But, still...I didn't invent the notion of the "Nolecoaster." He solves a lot of his "walkabouts" will his phenomenal tennis, as I already said. It's a minor point, at this stage, but I felt I had to defend it, since you said I was wrong, federberg. Obviously, Djokovic is doing just fine.

Still not sure it's enough to push that argument too strongly. Maybe it's just me. The evidence is that Nole often berates himself or his team and comes back stronger. I could list examples of when Roger has had meltdowns and lost the match afterwards, but I don't believe any of us would suggest that this is typical of Federer. These are human beings and sometimes they let themselves down. Only Murray systematically harms himself by his on court histrionics.

To my mind, Novaks greatest vulnerabilities are when the crowd is clearly against him... and wind. Just my opinion..

No, and I don't want to hit the point too strongly. Just was arguing against those who would say he had no mental issues. As you pointed out above, and others added to. Maybe it's just that he lets on about what's bothering him, which I personally think is a mistake. But he usually finds a way to push past those things. And a lot of people really like that he wears his feelings so openly. I can respect that.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
there will always be an asterisk next to Novak s name...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
there will always be an asterisk next to Novak s name...

So he used to be No1e and now he's become Nova*? :snicker

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Novak surpasses Rafa today in weeks spent at #1. :clap

Here is a tribute video from ATP website.

So if Novak catches up with Rafa in the slam stakes, does he get the nod over him if he has more weeks at number 1? :snicker