Novak Djokovic is the fittest tennis player on the planet

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
1972Murat said:
He is fit and he has class as well. Good for him to apologize to the ball/towel kid that got caught in the middle when Nole was shouting something at his box.

Poor kid caught the blowback from a very frustrated tennis player who had just let the 2nd set slip through his hands. Even though he was shouting at his box, an apology to the young man was necessary. Glad he stepped up.

Yes, the kid did catch the blowback of Novak's frustration. And Djokovic was right to make an apology. I'm sure he doesn't see himself as a person who would frighten a kid, and therefore made an apology based on his own standards, and for an offense that was inadvertent.

However, it's interesting how everyone on these forums was ready to forgive Novak, and give him a medal for the apology, when they would surely have hung Andy up by the short hairs for the same behavior, had it been him. Nehmeth, you're the only one who even deemed an apology necessary.

No, that is your projection. I think people would have forgiven Murray too, if he has behaved like that and then apologized later.

Actually, Murray gets flak for his tennis and self destructive behavior on court. I don't think
Murray has much (if any) history of misbehaving with ball kids, linesmen or umpires.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
Poor kid caught the blowback from a very frustrated tennis player who had just let the 2nd set slip through his hands. Even though he was shouting at his box, an apology to the young man was necessary. Glad he stepped up.

Yes, the kid did catch the blowback of Novak's frustration. And Djokovic was right to make an apology. I'm sure he doesn't see himself as a person who would frighten a kid, and therefore made an apology based on his own standards, and for an offense that was inadvertent.

However, it's interesting how everyone on these forums was ready to forgive Novak, and give him a medal for the apology, when they would surely have hung Andy up by the short hairs for the same behavior, had it been him. Nehmeth, you're the only one who even deemed an apology necessary.

No, that is your projection. I think people would have forgiven Murray too, if he has behaved like that and then apologized later.

Actually, Murray gets flak for his tennis and self destructive behavior on court. I don't think
Murray has much (if any) history of misbehaving with ball kids, linesmen or umpires.

I knew someone would be literal, if I didn't spell it out. Obviously the point is that, while Murray yawps at his box, he doesn't have any history of scaring ball kids. However, it is true that people say they don't like him for his grumping and yelling and swearing. But when Novak grumps and yells and swears, no worries. They are both guilty of some self-destructive attitudes on court. I guess if you win in the end, all is forgiven.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:

I knew someone would be literal, if I didn't spell it out. Obviously the point is that, while Murray yawps at his box, he doesn't have any history of scaring ball kids. However, it is true that people say they don't like him for his grumping and yelling and swearing. But when Novak grumps and yells and swears, no worries. They are both guilty of some self-destructive attitudes on court. I guess if you win in the end, all is forgiven.

How many times have we seen Murray swearing at his box and how many times we have seen Novak swearing at his box. We don't need an award winning statistician to tell us that the later
number is way too puny in comparison to the former.

Besides, how is it self destructive, when it actually helps the player to vent the frustration
and channelize themselves in a more focused manner. That is what the yelling did to Novak.
But, Murray's yelling does not seem to help his cause more often than otherwise.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Besides, how is it self destructive, when it actually helps the player to vent the frustration
and channelize themselves in a more focused manner. That is what the yelling did to Novak.
But, Murray's yelling does not seem to help his cause more often than otherwise.

I think either Cahill or Gilbert mentioned this about how Murray's outbursts seem to hurt him rather than help him, and how Novak seems to be able to do a reset afterward.

Tignor also made a similar comment:

"But on Sunday, his negativity looked like it sapped his strength and reinforced his mistakes. It also seems to have become habitual against Djokovic. Murray began the match by barking several, uncharacteristic “Come on!”s, but they didn’t lasted long. Against Djokovic, Murray believes in his chances up to a point, but when that belief is tested, when Djokovic fights back, he reverts to form and lashes out at himself again."
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/04/triple-double-trouble/54522/#.VSU3jhPF-Rs

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
1972Murat said:
He is fit and he has class as well. Good for him to apologize to the ball/towel kid that got caught in the middle when Nole was shouting something at his box.

Obviously not everyone! :snicker

Mox, the young man was horrified. Ball kids are out there doing their best to please these champions, knowing they're on international TV, scared crapless at the idea of making a bad mistake. It was seen around the world, so of course some response was required publicly

Some players would have blown it off, saying, "Hey, I wasn't mad at the kid." Or they might have said, "Oops my bad, sorry." I do appreciate that my guy went the extra mile and posted a sincere and detailed apology that can be seen by everyone.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the only valid criticism against Murray is that he doesn't help himself with his on court antics. At least with Novak his performance after a melt down is better. Novak should be applauded for doing the right thing and clarifying that he wasn't shouting at the boy, but apologising for startling him. I'm sure that in a similar situation Andy would have made the same apology

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
1972Murat said:

You make a very solid point.

As much as I can't stand Murray's on court demeanor. he never directs his bile at anyone but himself and his camp.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I think either Cahill or Gilbert mentioned this about how Murray's outbursts seem to hurt him rather than help him, and how Novak seems to be able to do a reset afterward.

"But on Sunday, his negativity looked like it sapped his strength and reinforced his mistakes. It also seems to have become habitual against Djokovic. Murray began the match by barking several, uncharacteristic “Come on!”s, but they didn’t lasted long. Against Djokovic, Murray believes in his chances up to a point, but when that belief is tested, when Djokovic fights back, he reverts to form and lashes out at himself again."
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/04/triple-double-trouble/54522/#.VSU3jhPF-Rs

I started a thread a while back saying that a player's on court demeanor and body language absolutely affects their performance, and that Murray was his own victim. I was soundly attacked.

And recently the mainstream press has caught on, I feel vindicated.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:

I would absolutely have to disagree that Novak is self destructive on court. He is guilty of quick momentary outbursts, almost always based on lost opportunities, and if he does show a moment of frustration, it is ancient history 2 points later. He cleanses, Murray poisons the well.

His presence on court is that of a winner. Smashing a few rackets does not put in anywhere near Murray.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
^I agree with LB. Nole moves on . It was not always like this though. I remember matches at the beginning of his career where he lost because he could not move on. I think he figured it out around 1999. Ever since, he has been solid. He vents, breaks a stick or two, but moves on.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
^I agree with LB. Nole moves on . It was not always like this though. I remember matches at the beginning of his career where he lost because he could not move on. I think he figured it out around 1999. Ever since, he has been solid. He vents, breaks a stick or two, but moves on.

1999? :snicker

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
federberg said:
1972Murat said:

1999? :snicker

Damn it...I make this mistake all the time...! 2009 is what I meant !:cover

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:

Mox, the young man was horrified. Ball kids are out there doing their best to please these champions, knowing they're on international TV, scared crapless at the idea of making a bad mistake. It was seen around the world, so of course some response was required publicly

Some players would have blown it off, saying, "Hey, I wasn't mad at the kid." Or they might have said, "Oops my bad, sorry." I do appreciate that my guy went the extra mile and posted a sincere and detailed apology that can be seen by everyone.

As you say, though, his behavior was seen around the world, and his PR people would have been in hyper-drive. It was right to do, but he had no other option. A lesser player not only gets away with peccadilloes, no one cares enough to ask. Don't think everyone has a forum for a mea culpa.

Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I would absolutely have to disagree that Novak is self destructive on court. He is guilty of quick momentary outbursts, almost always based on lost opportunities, and if he does show a moment of frustration, it is ancient history 2 points later. He cleanses, Murray poisons the well.

His presence on court is that of a winner. Smashing a few rackets does not put in anywhere near Murray.

It isn't really about smashing a few racquets that I mean. Nor anything about Murray. What about the "walkabout" that even his fans complain that he goes on? When he starts to sigh, and look to the heavens, and drops a set because he's the author of his own destruction? Of course, he mostly reels it in, and wins the day with his superior tennis. But it seems a bit much for folks to say that he lets irritations go like water off a duck's back. It seems to me that he can let things bother him, and hang on to them, for a bit.

I'm just trying to keep it a bit real, while everyone goes into a Novak swoon. ;) :angel:

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:

As you say, though, his behavior was seen around the world, and his PR people would have been in hyper-drive. It was right to do, but he had no other option. A lesser player not only gets away with peccadilloes, no one cares enough to ask. Don't think everyone has a forum for a mea culpa.

Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

It isn't really about smashing a few racquets that I mean. Nor anything about Murray. What about the "walkabout" that even his fans complain that he goes on? When he starts to sigh, and look to the heavens, and drops a set because he's the author of his own destruction? Of course, he mostly reels it in, and wins the day with his superior tennis. But it seems a bit much for folks to say that he lets irritations go like water off a duck's back. It seems to me that he can let things bother him, and hang on to them, for a bit.

I'm just trying to keep it a bit real, while everyone goes into a Novak swoon. ;) :angel:

I hear you about keeping it real. But let's GET real...:)

I think you are stretching here to nit pick...and that is natural..because the Novak superlatives are getting a bit over the top now...Aussie, Dubai final, IW and Miami..enough already lol..

What I see is when he "loses it" for those brief period is a perfectionist who has become a habitual winner whose ego has become outsized and can't tolerate the thought of losing.

Heck, Federer use to getting into yelling fits in 2004/2005/2006/2007 and would often get testy and grumpy for brief periods if his level fell off. But no one called him on it because he was just "venting" if he fell down from the heights he, and we, expected.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
I hear you about keeping it real. But let's GET real...:)

I think you are stretching here to nit pick...and that is natural..because the Novak superlatives are getting a bit over the top now...Aussie, Dubai final, IW and Miami..enough already lol..

What I see is when he "loses it" for those brief period is a perfectionist who has become a habitual winner whose ego has become outsized and can't tolerate the thought of losing.

Heck, Federer use to getting into yelling fits in 2004/2005/2006/2007 and would often get testy and grumpy for brief periods if his level fell off. But no one called him on it because he was just "venting" if he fell down from the heights he, and we, expected.

Not all of us excused Roger's yelling fits, either. You say it's the self-irritation of a perfectionist, in both cases. Perhaps you're right. Anyway, I'm done picking nits for now. ;)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I'm just trying to keep it a bit real, while everyone goes into a Novak swoon.

We'll remember how graciously you helped keep it real if or when Rafa gets back to his old form.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:

I think you've got this one wrong Moxie. Where is the evidence that it's self-destructive in Novak's case? Just because you swear and grump doesn't mean it's self-destructive. Mac is the obvious case in point.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
nehmeth said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I started a thread a while back saying that a player's on court demeanor and body language absolutely affects their performance, and that Murray was his own victim. I was soundly attacked.

And recently the mainstream press has caught on, I feel vindicated.

Since I debated about Murray's on-court demeanour in a previous thread, I'll just state again that I never disagreed that a player's on court demeanour can negatively affect his performance. [I don't think you've stated some amazing new truth that no one else had thought of, LB.] I think this is a truth that is universally acknowledged. It is also not new to criticise Murray for it, and say that it negatively affects him. People, including the 'mainstreanm press', have been saying this for years.

What I personally disagreed with was the statement that this behaviour has 'cost Murray multiple slams and loads of tournaments', as you put it. It hasn't. I asked you to give me examples, and you never did. Here are some counter examples, anyway. take murray's first gs final. let's forget the fac that federer had the major phsycial advantage adfter murray 2-day win of rafa int eh semis. say murray had been less tentative in the final, and a paragon of mental strength. what lwd have happned? murray would have put up a beeter fight, but lost anyway. i mean, this is a 27 year old fed we're talking about, arguably the greaest player to hold a racket. ebven if murray had been as mentally tough as possible, he still woudl ahve lost.

or what about the ao sf in 2012? what if murray had somehow mangede to win one of those break points he ahd to serve for the match inteh fifth? and then what if murray has managed to serve out that match? do you think, that after 5 hours against novak, he wluld have been able to beat a more rested rafa in the final? i don't.

even take the final the other day. if murray has been able to take that first set, would he have won the second and thus the title? if murray had wo the first set, the second set wld have gone differertly,. becuase djok wld know he had to win thaqt set or lose the mathc, so he wlsd have rrasied his level. and becaase his level is highter than murray, djok wld have won anyway.

i stilll contend that murray's mental 'flaws' are exagerratwed by him cotniaully having to face 3 all-tiem greats. if he was mentally toguher, he would just put up a better gight and still lose, fi the top guys are p;laying well. if they're undefrperming, he can win, and does.

[int he 3 big events so far this year, murray has got the final , the sf, and the f. on all three occasions he has lost to the owrld no. 1 and an all-tiem great. he has just racke dup 500 carreeer wins at age 27. and yet the thinhg sthat are said are; 'murray needs to see a psycholoasist' (he is , by the way), 'murray does not have a winning metnality'. not ahve aiwning mentalitt? the guy is world no,3, for pete's sake. not as good as djok? yes. NO the winning mentality of an all-tiem great liek djok? yes. but that is a very high yeardstic, of measurement. for the last 6 MONTHS, only 1 player has beaten novak at a big event (masters or gs) - federer. and he's a btter player than murray./ everyne else - eveyone else - has failed. was it their 'mental demons'? or ios dhjok just the best playuer in the world? i think it'as the latter.]

it;s not like murray cannot reposnd to adverisyt. he has raise dhis game when in trouble SO many times in his career. his mental strength and fighitng spirit is one of the things that separats shim from the berdychs and tongas, althoubh he is rarely prasied for it.

Murray cna chunter away, get annoyed, even when he is tested, when he is behind in a match, and come though qwith flying couliurs. no one talks about his on court demanour being harmfuol then, because he won. When he does not do this it's al;ways when he's [;ayin gthe big 3, who are better than him and wld win anyway, if they play well, and yet under these circumstances murray's loss is somehow attributed to his on court demanour. it's compeltwely illigcasl. if he didn'thave that demanour, he might get a few more games, another set maybe, here or there, but he wnd't wn. he can't win unless the big 3 are underperfmaornig, because they're phsycioally and techcnially supiroir (with the possibel expcetion of rafa physcially right now.)

i would also add thty it's easier to be mentally strong when you're the better player. fed seemed very metnally stong until soemeon came along who cld beat him - rafa - and then it was a different stroy.how wld djok fare against a player who was as better thatn him as he is than murray? wold he be a paragon of mental stenght, or wld he falter? we can't know for sure, but we can certainyl say it wld be a lot tougher for him to be as mentally strong. and let's say he was playuing a better tplayer than himself int eh final the other day, and lost that second set and had that out[burst as he did. then say he was mentalyy strong in the 3rd set, but because the other player was better than him, hwe lost that set, teh matcha dn teh title. then people wld be satying 'djok is not mentally strong', 'he shldn't have shouteed like that at the end of the secnd set - it sent a bad message to his opponent' etc. but becauze djok is abtter player than murrayu, he won and is thus a paragon of mentla strnegth.

murray is VERY mentally sdtrong aginst players he is better than. if you only looked at murray's matches against non-bog 3 players, you would think: wow, what a mentally tougbn guy! he almost alswyas comes through, even in the touigh moemnts, even when he's behind! he raises his level, he finds a way!]

i thin murray's occasianl wins over the big 3 when they're undepepfmding, combined with his otubursts on court, leasd people to think 'if only he was mentally stronger, he'd be as good as teh big 3',. as ui have pointed out before, there are other things goiing on, both technical and phy7scial.]

[as regards murray's recent lack of wins against the big 3:

[murray's 3 losses to djok this year have also been on slwo hards.] in his entier carrer, murray has 8 wins over djok, 6 of which are either on grass or on faster hards - 2 on grass, 2 in cinci, 1 at uso, 1 in dubai. this is no coincendence. murray's 2 ins over djok on slower hards - tonroto 2008 and miami 2009 - were when djok was nowhere near the player he is now. and eve that uso win, djok playwed poorly int he iwnd and trhen waas cramping in the fifth.

murray has only 5 wins against raf in his einter career , and in at least 3 of them rafa was not right physcially. since his surgry, murray's only palyed rafa twice, and both times on clay, and he's never betate4n raf on clay his entir caeer,

murray has had success over fed either at smaller tournamet swhen fed was off, or when fed was tired at the os aand ao sf13. i think it's actualyl mkroe difficlut to murray to beat fed now, cos of fed' new racket and m roe atqacking aporahc. in the past, fed was ocntent to rally with murray form the baseline, with gave murray mro of a shot, espciall if fed was having an off day and was making more ue with his grounstroeks. the mai8n chanve i see for murray to beat fed at this stage is at a slam if fed is tird cos he hadf 5-set mathc the preicvous round, ior seomthign liek that (that wa show murray beat fed at the os (fed pkayed the quelvalent of a 50st match egaisnt de,lpo previosu round) and at aosf13 (fed hasd [polajyed 5 set match agisnt tosgoma previous round), whih arwe murray's only wins over fed in best of 5 set format his entire career.

[a word on djok's fitness:

djok is a naturally different build to murray. he's muscualr yet lighter, and thus tires less eaisly. murray was natually skinny when younger, and had to bulk up to get strong. djokovic has the naturally wiry - slim ywet sotrng - physuique - it's a major advantage thqt muerray acan do nothing about.

surely also novak's amazing ability to sldoe to balls, whereas murray has to run to them, aslo helps novak to expned less enrgy? this wld add up with every point played.

murray also has been very dedicated to yoga throughotu his entire carrer for flexbilty, but he's never going to be as felxible as djokovic.

djokovic has won the gentic liottery with his physiqe.]

[i have a question. this year, djokovic has bagelled players ? times: names. these are players who are perfectly capable of wining 3rd sets, 4th sets, 5th sets against toher players, and have done. when djok bagelled them, i don't recal you posting to say it was because of their 'metnal demos'. i assume, like most people, you thoguht that they were simply yutplayed once djok had taken their legsby their attempts to stay with hjim for 2, 3 hours. but when EXACTLTY the sam erthing happens to murray, it's becasue of his 'mental demons'. inconsistency, methinks.]

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I think you've got this one wrong Moxie. Where is the evidence that it's self-destructive in Novak's case? Just because you swear and grump doesn't mean it's self-destructive. Mac is the obvious case in point.

I'm really not trying to spoil anyone's party. I'm just stating my own observation. Quick examples: Rome final 2012 and RG SF 2013: a disputed call threw Nole off, in both matches, and he hung onto it too long. He got broken shortly after, both times. Those matches were against Nadal on clay, so I like to think who was the better player, but do I kid myself that he didn't help his own cause by hanging onto a frustration longer than he should have? And the RG SF last year: Novak was cruising v. Gulbis, a known head-case, for 2 sets. Ernie went up an early break in the 3rd and Djokovic got very down on himself. Even the commentators said: "Could some remind Novak that he's up two sets?" OK, later we learned that Novak was feeling ill. But, still...I didn't invent the notion of the "Nolecoaster." He solves a lot of his "walkabouts" will his phenomenal tennis, as I already said. It's a minor point, at this stage, but I felt I had to defend it, since you said I was wrong, federberg. Obviously, Djokovic is doing just fine.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
federberg said:
Moxie629 said:

I'm really not trying to spoil anyone's party. I'm just stating my own observation. Quick examples: Rome final 2012 and RG SF 2013: a disputed call threw Nole off, in both matches, and he hung onto it too long. He got broken shortly after, both times. Those matches were against Nadal on clay, so I like to think who was the better player, but do I kid myself that he didn't help his own cause by hanging onto a frustration longer than he should have? And the RG SF last year: Novak was cruising v. Gulbis, a known head-case, for 2 sets. Ernie went up an early break in the 3rd and Djokovic got very down on himself. Even the commentators said: "Could some remind Novak that he's up two sets?" OK, later we learned that Novak was feeling ill. But, still...I didn't invent the notion of the "Nolecoaster." He solves a lot of his "walkabouts" will his phenomenal tennis, as I already said. It's a minor point, at this stage, but I felt I had to defend it, since you said I was wrong, federberg. It's a minor point. Obviously, Djokovic is doing just well.

You make some good points Mox.

The one disastrous moment I remember for Nole was the RG final and the call that came when he touched the net on a sitter.

He never let that one go and I think most of it was because he was so disappointed in himself for being so careless. It cost him the match for sure.