Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am concerned of Rafa's present ranking of no #15 that was on Monday 10th of April, who knows what his ranking will be come around when RG starts? he will be turning 37, at RG, we can wish all we want for a good draw, he has not played a tournament in 3 months, he is still not 100%, his movement is better, though he needs more lateral movement especially on clay.
I totally understand. But fretting about it doesn't help. For me, anyway. My point is, if Rafa becomes a dangerous floater, that's worse for others than for him, in the main. Last year he got Djokovic in the Quarters. I can say I think it hurt Djokovic because he did lose that match, but still. Would that match have been different as a final? Who's to know? But what did happen was they played the de facto final on Wed., and then Rafa had a clear path to the final.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For those who need a little perking up, I recommend this video. It will remind you rather viscerally how Rafa didn't seem to be in a place to win RG last year.

**SPOILER ALERT: He won! Oh, no, what I meant to say was, at the very end, if you don't bother with it, on CNN, Christiane Amanpour asks him again if, now, with 22 Majors, he was willing to say he was the greatest tennis player of all time. Rafa: "From the bottom of my heart, I don't care."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I totally understand. But fretting about it doesn't help. For me, anyway. My point is, if Rafa becomes a dangerous floater, that's worse for others than for him, in the main. Last year he got Djokovic in the Quarters. I can say I think it hurt Djokovic because he did lose that match, but still. Would that match have been different as a final? Who's to know? But what did happen was they played the de facto final on Wed., and then Rafa had a clear path to the final.
Quite frankly I dont want him to be a dangerous floater, I am not fretting, I am just trying to be 'real' in the present circumstances,
His ranking is low at present, due to injury, I get that, having to play long matches in the 1st week of a slam, is not my idea of heaven at any age, especially at age 37, he needs match play, hopefully he will be returning to the clay soon, or when he feels comfortable and ready to compete.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He could be ranked so low he faces Carlos or Novak in the round of 32, which is too much to ask. Remember in 2015 he was in terrible form and Novak easily beat him in the quarters? I think your mention of his ranking is another reason to wonder if we’re watching a great player in the final twitch of his dotage. Roger was ‘only’ 36 when he won Australia in 2018, and he went into it after a blazing 2017..
Maybe. We'll see. He's won RG with almost every permutation possible: One of the favorites, heavy favorite, many clay titles going in, no clay titles going in, massive clay win streak going in, no clay wins going in, almost no clay matches going in, low confidence going in, RG played in the autumn (poetic, that one, as in the autumn of his career.) I could go on. I understand your concern. I'm just arguing for the reasons to retain hope.

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa may not win, be competitive or even play at Roland Garros this year. I get that, many of us get that.

All I hope is that he eventually is healthy enough to play tennis as long as he still enjoys it and derives joy out of it. Skipping the FO, If he's healthy enough to play Wimbledon, I'm good, or if he's healthy enough to play the hardcourt season and the USO, I'm good with that. Talk of decline is premature and yet redundant, because he's nearly 37 and the end is near regardless.

I hear all the sturm un drang about his chances this year, but someone who's won at Roland Garros 14 times simply cannot be counted out, no matter the odds, as long as he's fit and healthy. If he's not fit and healthy there is nothing anyone can do about that.

Please, we are not Federer fans who were screaming for their idol to retire because he was not winning at the highest level per their satisfaction.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe. We'll see. He's won RG with almost every permutation possible: One of the favorites, heavy favorite, many clay titles going in, no clay titles going in, massive clay win streak going in, no clay wins going in, almost no clay matches going in, low confidence going in, RG played in the autumn (poetic, that one, as in the autumn of his career.) I could go on. I understand your concern. I'm just arguing for the reasons to retain hope.

Hope is still a thing we have! I appreciate the hopeful. It’s not impossible. It would be his greatest moment… :crossed-fingers::crossed-fingers:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I dont mean to be a Debbie Downer, I am a 'realist' I have to be in my profession and I guess that rolls over personally in ways.
The first week of any GS you dont want to be having 5 sets matches, conserving energy for the 2nd week at a slam, it is then if you have to go 5 sets, your energy and game is there, especially at age 37.
Yes I remember that match in 2015.
I dont want Rafa to rush back, under any circumstances, he still has time, I will try to remain more positive.
I actually hope for him to win Wimbledon this year, if he’s to win anything. Or the USO. They’d be better for his record, and he was unlucky there at both places last year, not being able to give it his all. I’m not at the stage where I believe it’s Paris or nothing. I just think he’s played something like nine matches since last Wimbledon and it’s a big ask for him now, given that he’s still injured. I know he’ll compete as long as he can, the bloke’s a warrior supreme…

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
If Rafa skips the French Open, then the earliest he will be back will be the US Open series in August. If Rafa isn't healthy enough for the FO, he isn't going to suddenly heal and be ready for Wimbledon on his worst surface 3 weeks later. In fact, if Rafa doesn't play the FO, I wouldn't be surprised if he packed it in for 2023 (like he did in 2021), and came back for a farewell tour in 2024, calling it a career at the Olympics of course. I'll take a wash on 2023, if Rafa comes out blazing in 2024 like in 2022, and wins the AO, FO, and Olympics.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another important factor, which has to be factored in, regarding this recent injury, it was a bad tear and at Rafa's age, 36, these types of injuries do take time to heal, he didnt do much for a month or so,rested and went to physio, then he was cleared to start practicing again,slowly of course.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hope is still a thing we have! I appreciate the hopeful. It’s not impossible. It would be his greatest moment… :crossed-fingers::crossed-fingers:
It's about time... believe and speak of hope ..

Go to your place of worship and say these words

Come To Rafa , Come to Rafa He will save you he will you Just Now Just Now ;-)

Trust in Rafa .he has taken us this Far !

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's about time... believe and speak of hope ..

Go to your place of worship and say these words

Come To Rafa , Come to Rafa He will save you he will you Just Now Just Now ;-)

Trust in Rafa .he has taken us this Far !
I don’t pray for tennis players to win matches :lulz1:

But - while I think hope is always a good thing, I think in terms of Rafa and RG it’s far fetched unless he can play well in either or both Rome and Madrid…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t pray for tennis players to win matches :lulz1:

But - while I think hope is always a good thing, I think in terms of Rafa and RG it’s far fetched unless he can play well in either or both Rome and Madrid…
Well I wont let you borrow my Rosary Beads blessed by the Pope at the Vatican, they sure did help when Rafa won the Wimbledon title in 2008 :) oh also at the AO 2022 lol!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Rafa's ranking went up 1 ( without playing) he is now ranked #14 and on the rise! ( Monday 17th April rankings)

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Rafa's ranking went up 1 ( without playing) he is now ranked #14 and on the rise! ( Monday 17th April rankings)
He intimidated them into giving him a rise, the chickenshit bastards.

By the way, I’m sure you’ve all seen it but tennis.com are running an article by Steve Tignor each day, the ten matches that made Rafa the king of clay.

Todays article is about the Davis Cup final, 2004, Rafa v Roddick…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He intimidated them into giving him a rise, the chickenshit bastards.

By the way, I’m sure you’ve all seen it but tennis.com are running an article by Steve Tignor each day, the ten matches that made Rafa the king of clay.

Todays article is about the Davis Cup final, 2004, Rafa v Roddick…
He needs to keep his 'intimidation tactics going lol!
Yes I read Steve Tignors article yesterday, great read
Good the womens match I was looking at finished, I will read the article DC final between Rafa v Roddick

Reactions: Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
.. Toni Nadal admitted that he has spoken to the now 22-time Grand Slam champion about his comeback to tennis, “I spoke with him on Saturday. And he will only come back if he is in good condition, 100%.”

He continued, “He knows that otherwise it will not be good for him. He played the Australian Open without being on top. I think he wants to feel very good. He would like to arrive at Roland Garros with confidence and a good physique. For now, we have to wait. But he still has the mind to try to win another time.”…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Uncle Toni had a interview with Eurosport today 19th April,

" I have said many times about Rafa that even if he does not arrive in very good conditions, when he arrives on the Philipe-Chatrier court, everything changes.
" He needs a few not- soo- difficult matches to ramp up. I know Zverev, Alcaraz, Djokovic, Rune, Rublev are strong. But with his mind, I also know that Rafa can win.I want to think the same this year".
" Even if Rafa wouldn't play any match before Roland Garos, I'm confident.Sometimes when he arrived at Roland Garos, his first match was not so good, like was the case last year, but then match after match he played better".
" He plays round after round with more intensity, better and better with his legs, so I hope this year he can the same, even if it will be difficult".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On Monday Rafa and his team travelled to Barcelona, for a check up on his injury with his doctor.
The Madrid draw will take place this 'Sunday;' and Rafa will be in Madrid ( due to sponsorship obligations) but his participation is still uncertain.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On Monday Rafa and his team travelled to Barcelona, for a check up on his injury with his doctor.
The Madrid draw will take place this 'Sunday;' and Rafa will be in Madrid ( due to sponsorship obligations) but his participation is still uncertain.
*sigh*