Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
*comes back in*

My only point is this: Alcaraz is a bigger threat than Sinner to Nadal BUT Sinner is definitely a HUGE threat to Alcaraz.

*runs back out*
Stop skittering around. In or out. In or out. #Brexit. Sinner might feature to spoil Alcaraz, but no more, IMO.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stop skittering around. In or out. In or out. #Brexit. Sinner might feature to spoil Alcaraz, but no more, IMO.
Here’s the thing though: If Sinner beats Alcaraz, then he is playing well enough to potentially beat Nadal in the SF. Sinner does have the backhand and return of serve to frustrate Nadal.

*sliding out*

Reactions: Hailz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here’s the thing though: If Sinner beats Alcaraz, then he is playing well enough to potentially beat Nadal in the SF. Sinner does have the backhand and return of serve to frustrate Nadal.

*sliding out*
No way. Sinner is still a bit glassy. He's not going to beat Alcaraz and Nadal on the run in Bo5. Next time you skitter out from under the refrigerator, my cat is going to have his way with you, my little mouse. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reactions: tented

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No way. Sinner is still a bit glassy. He's not going to beat Alcaraz and Nadal on the run in Bo5. Next time you skitter out from under the refrigerator, my cat is going to have his way with you, my little mouse. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
To be fair, Sinner did have a two set to love lead over Djokovic at Wimbledon before he mentally checked out.

I don’t think Sinner will beat Alcaraz AND Nadal b2b but he will definitely be a dangerous opponent.

Besides, I am a Sinner fan first so I am kinda biased of Sinner beating Alcaraz in QF

*flies out peacefully*

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be fair, Sinner did have a two set to love lead over Djokovic at Wimbledon before he mentally checked out.

I don’t think Sinner will beat Alcaraz AND Nadal b2b but he will definitely be a dangerous opponent.

Besides, I am a Sinner fan first so I am kinda biased of Sinner beating Alcaraz in QF

*flies out peacefully*
I like Sinner, too, but you made your own case against him. We'll see. I'm not convinced that Alcaraz will make the Nadal date, either. They're both young, and works-in-progress. Could catch fire, or might fade in the big moments.

So, what are we left with, in the bottom half?

Nadal/Tiafoe
Rublev/Norrie

....really worried about any of those? Norrie?

Alcaraz/Cilic
Sinner/Ivashka

I wouldn't sleep on Cilic, tbh. He's boring, but he's won the USO, and he's trending a bit.

Eyes on the prize, people!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Being also a Marylander, originally, I have been cheerleading for Frances since he was a teenager. I think he has made some strides of late, in terms of belief, confidence and court IQ, but I honestly don't see him beating Rafa. Frances has hit his high-water mark in this tournament.

I do think Alcaraz is still a danger, to @tented's question. He's playing very well. TBH, he's my biggest concern left in the draw for Rafa. And yes Kyrgios looks dangerous, because he says he'd win and quit. That's as "nothing to lose" as anything I've ever heard.
This is the only reason why I said that don’t sleep on Sinner yet.

Alcaraz is the biggest threat to Nadal, but Cilic (low hope) and Sinner will have something to say about that potential match.

*bows out*

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Sinner, too, but you made your own case against him. We'll see. I'm not convinced that Alcaraz will make the Nadal date, either. They're both young, and works-in-progress. Could catch fire, or might fade in the big moments.

So, what are we left with, in the bottom half?

Nadal/Tiafoe
Rublev/Norrie

....really worried about any of those? Norrie?

Alcaraz/Cilic
Sinner/Ivashka

I wouldn't sleep on Cilic, tbh. He's boring, but he's won the USO, and he's trending a bit.

Eyes on the prize, people!
At present when Cilic feels pressure or is under the pump he crumbles as far as I am concerned even on his best surface

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now that Medvedev is out does anyone know what needs to happen for Nadal to get the no.1 ranking? Thx

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting insight from Carlos Moya and his thoughts on Rafa at this moment at the USO ( translated)

Q At this time in the tournament what would you ask of Rafa?

Moya The basic thing would be to play with calm rather than to find a tactic. He's got tennis but in those difficult moments you see the court very small.The arms feel shorter you enter in disarray. I have to transmit calmness.It depends on the occasion, you ask something different.Right now just to relax, to forget what happened and play.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
"Just when I thought I was out, Tented brings me back in.. okay this is the one time I will discuss the family business " jajaja

Miss Margaret is correct, Tiafoe isn't a worry..I have stated numerous times that he is a flawed player who isn't fundamentally or technically sound. Yes, Carlos is playing good tennis but I'm not quite sold on him. Nick is a concern but Rafa will not let him live rent free inside his head like he has in Daniil's skull. Rafa's serve has got to get tighter because if and when he faces Nick, it will get devoured like BBQ chicken on July's 4th independence day. I expect Rafa's CC BH to make an appearance soon. Nicki match last night was the Best I have seen him play at USO. Rafa has the ability to take it to another level. Nick can ascend to that level at certain times but I think he will have a free fall back through the earth's atmosphere similar to when the Silver Surfer dropped the Human Torch in "The Fantastic Four meets the Silver Surfer.. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
"Just when I thought I was out, Tented brings me back in.. okay this is the one time I will discuss the family business " jajaja

Miss Margaret is correct, Tiafoe isn't a worry..I have stated numerous times that he is a flawed player who isn't fundamentally or technically sound. Yes, Carlos is playing good tennis but I'm not quite sold on him. Nick is a concern but Rafa will not let him live rent free inside his head like he has in Daniil's skull. Rafa's serve has got to get tighter because if and when he faces Nick, it will get devoured like BBQ chicken on July's 4th independence day. I expect Rafa's CC BH to make an appearance soon. Nicki match last night was the Best I have seen him play at USO. Rafa has the ability to take it to another level. Nick can ascend to that level at certain times but I think he will have a free fall back through the earth's atmosphere similar to when the Silver Surfer dropped the Human Torch in "The Fantastic Four meets the Silver Surfer.. Just my two cents worth.
Of course I am always right? moving on Rafa also has to have his fhdtl at the USO on song as far as I am concerned, especially at the USO, its his money shot remembering the USO final 2013, it was the shot that won him many points.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing I noticed from Nadal that's isn't mentioned by Roger or Novak..Youth ..Rafa always mentioned that he isn't as young as some of the next Gen. I haven't remember seeing Novak or Roger speaking of youth being a factor in their performance.