Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy - Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never said you Didn't say he Rune wasn't talented. I guess you don't see what I see maybe @tented Tented does!
What I'm saying is, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking and why. Just tell us what you see, maybe?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know what, if Ruud let all of this bother him to the point of falling apart, that's on him. No reason to collapse, unless it really is your tennis that's not up to it.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sis Moxie @Moxie Are you beginning to see some of the little things in Rune that we all saw over 20 years ago in Rafa?
His explosiveness is Rafa like, the uncoiled power. The little ritual of fixing his hat is a Rafalesque tic. However Rune’s coverage of the court is amazing, but he has also a little of the Novak Gumby flexibility.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What I'm saying is, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking and why. Just tell us what you see, maybe?
I see a refusal to loose by having the presence of mind to problem solve when things around him seem to be in disarray. I see a "ball" player not a person who is just focused on the actions of his opponents. I see someone who is fearless and not afraid to stare into the abyss or even go into the abyss if what he seeks is still there. I'm not ready to say he plays like his opponents are trying to "steal food off the Nadal or Rune family table " yet but he is trending that way at warped speed. Entiendo mi amiga ;-)

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
At least they showed each other respect at the net.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
They should swap names because I think Ruud just isn’t rude enough, and Rune just doesn’t like being ruined! I don’t see Casper winning big titles - he’s too soft and nice - but Rune may nab his second one tomoro…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He looked at sea. He let himself down out there. That was a collapse, even if Rune is really the better player.
Well yeah he collapsed when Holger stiffened in the 2nd set, not a coincidence. ; )

That first set from Ruud was insane, 22 winners and only 9 UFE’s and 6 aces and the FH was painting the lines, but he couldn't keep it up. Even then the first set went to a Tiebreak. Little Holger maintained his agressive play even while trailing which was key as he tried to stay relaxed and go for his shots once the door slightly opened.

Ruud still lacks the self confidence of last year, and as you implied he doesn’t have the natural athleticism and talent of the other top players, so without the laser mental focus and consistency it’s a tough row for him to hoe.

Holger played well, not at his highest level, but its more the spongelike ability to learn from prior matches and start to problem solve in pressure moments. It served him well today.

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
When is this match going to start?...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe my Irish brother from another mother @Kieran Mr Kieran sees what I see in Holger..he is No Rafa but he is a pure "ball player" like Nadal
Oh I said it a while now, this kid is instinctively a rebel. When he swiped out the mark on clay in Madrid I applauded him. He busts a gut out there and he understands why you need to suffer to win, and he’s not afraid of suffering. Casper is too Ivy League and picket fence (to borrow American terms) to succeed. He won’t go to that dark place. Not everybody is able to. I think it’s something players are born with, and Holger definitely has it…

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Only way for Rune to lose this now is if he beats himself. He is simply better and Ruud is limited.

Ruud allowed Rune in his head, complained about that MTO, so he took toilet break now. Rune doesn't give a shit, he is having a great time resting in his white hoodie :)
I don't think he compalined about the mto. He complained that Rune was being coached during the time of the mto but Ruud wasn't allowed coaching at the break after the 2nd set. So he went to the bathroom...