Internazionali BNL d'Italia Rome ATP Master

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
10isfan said:
What about Herbert? He could be really good when he disengages himself from dubs.

Wow! You like him?? I think he has a lot of upside too. He seems to draw a lot of confidence from his success in the doubles, along with his friendship with Mahut.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
But at some point, playing dubs will hurt Herbert's singles game. He is an amazing dubs player so he goes deep every tournament which will distract him from singles. I wonder when he will break the news to Mahut. Definitely not this year with Olympic gold up for grabs.

I hope Thiem beats Nishi so we can see how he matches up against one of the two favorites at FO.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Juan Monaco withdraws.
Pouille is in the SF. Now, that is a Lucky Loser
:clap

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
What's does Bellucci on the court that makes Novak so uncomfortable?

First of all, he ups his game to play Novak. I mean, he's played poorly for most of 2016. That first set, it seemed that (for Bellucci) hitting any red was bad. He was painting the lines on almost every point.

He hits very deep and he flattens out his shot, which pushes Novak back and takes away time.
He uses the angles he can create as a lefty, and Nole was unable to return the serve.

Thing is, the Brazilian cannot redline at that level for a whole match. Nole weathers the storm and then gets to work. That first set of tennis was glorious though and while it was Nole getting pasted, I didn't much care. No one would have beaten Bellucci the way he was playing.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
the AntiPusher said:
What's does Bellucci on the court that makes Novak so uncomfortable?

First of all, he ups his game to play Novak. I mean, he's played poorly for most of 2016. That first set, it seemed that (for Bellucci) hitting any red was bad. He was painting the lines on almost every point.

He hits very deep and he flattens out his shot, which pushes Novak back and takes away time.
He uses the angles he can create as a lefty, and Nole was unable to return the serve.

Thing is, the Brazilian cannot redline at that level for a whole match. Nole weathers the storm and then gets to work. That first set of tennis was glorious though and while it was Nole getting pasted, I didn't much care. No one would have beaten Bellucci the way he was playing.

Acourse playing against the world's most dominant player, you would expect a player to up his game. Hitting the ball deep and all the things you mentioned will keep Novak uncomfortable. However today, Rafa will do the opposite which will play into all of Novak's strategy and strength. It's a shame Rafa is so stubborn and at this point in their rivalry, foolish

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Herbert is 25 already and only #83. I wouldn't expect much from him, except maybe some time in the top 50.

The only other french player with significant upside is Quentin Halys.

Pouille is now #31 in the live rankings. He's jumped 21 spots just at Rome.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Acourse playing against the world's most dominant player, you would expect a player to up his game. Hitting the ball deep and all the things you mentioned will keep Novak uncomfortable. However today, Rafa will do the opposite which will play into all of Novak's strategy and strength. It's a shame Rafa is so stubborn and at this point in their rivalry, foolish

Windy, dusty, blustery conditions out there right now. Rafa should be smiling. ;)

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal has a chance if Nole plays like yesterday

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I doubt Novak is going to be like oh Nadal let me play like I did yesterday. He might take a Bellucci for granted, but Novak doesn't take players like Rafa and Roger for granted.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
isabelle said:

Nadal has more than a chance, he needs spot 4 and he need some morale stand for RG. If Djoker see Nadal is wild today, he might loose not even puting too much into the game. Doing that, he puts Nadal into "favorite" for RG.

Knowing next spots, Thiem, Muzza, it would take energy to win here. But would be a spoiler if Nadal wins and then lose next game or final.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
isabelle said:

Nole didn't play badly yesterday Isabelle. He actually played quite well in the second and third sets (he had to)

mouse

Futures Player
Reactions
Jesus Andy, all you had to do was hold your serve

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6AgjNXcrw[/video]

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I'm not surprised. Nole struggled with a couple cupcakes and Rafa and his uncle know that his career is on the line the next few weeks. They've pulled out all the stops and then some this clay season, of that I have no doubt :) He has MUCH more to lose today.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak rights the ship. Breaks after Rafa after squandering three break points.