Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome ATP 1000, 2018

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s funny how everyone’s memories are enhances when it comes to every player Rafa looses too..Can you name the last 10 players that has defeated Novak or Roger?
good grief you're sensitive. I have no doubt I could list the last 10 players who've beaten Federer. Is there even any point listing them for Novak right now? Take it as a compliment that folks make a big deal about those who've beaten Rafa. It means that it's extremely hard to do

Reactions: mrzz

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
dull is such a talent killer..Shame
what does this mean? Or are you just trolling? If you mean he's a destroyer of talent, then I guess that makes sense. He is an absolute tennis monster after all.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It was a good lesson for the young Shapo by Nadal who played with a great serve and missiles shots :bloodsucker1:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
what does this mean? Or are you just trolling? If you mean he's a destroyer of talent, then I guess that makes sense. He is an absolute tennis monster after all.

Maybe you have reading comprehension issues but I was quite clear that dull destroys creative, inventive play with his anti-tennis.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe you have reading comprehension issues but I was quite clear that dull destroys creative, inventive play with his anti-tennis.
his anti-tennis that's won 16 slams? Very good... I'll have some of that

Reactions: Moxie

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
While I think Nadal is an overwhelming favorite at RG regardless of what happens this tournament, the next 3 days will decide if RG will be mildly interesting. Rafa plays Fognini (always a tough outing), most likely Djokovic, and whoever he plays in the final. If he wins, it's a wrap. If he doesn't, there's at least (false) intrigue come Roland Garros, especially if Djokovic can beat him. A big if, I know, and Novak has to get past Nishikori first (I think he will).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
While I think Nadal is an overwhelming favorite at RG regardless of what happens this tournament, the next 3 days will decide if RG will be mildly interesting. Rafa plays Fognini (always a tough outing), most likely Djokovic, and whoever he plays in the final. If he wins, it's a wrap. If he doesn't, there's at least (false) intrigue come Roland Garros, especially if Djokovic can beat him. A big if, I know, and Novak has to get past Nishikori first (I think he will).

Is this the day and tournament that Nole turns it around? We all expect it to click one day, but he's looked Gawd-Awful for so long obviously coming back too soon twice! Fedal never looked this bad hearing if Djokovic loses this match tomorrow, he'll drop out of the top 30! The question obviously is, does he care anymore? This tourney may really make a difference; we'll see! :whistle: :yesyes: :rolleyes: :clap:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nishi is far to play his best, neither Novak but it seems is playing better than the japanese or maybe the opponent has helped him more

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is rather fake hysteria from you. (As well as insulting to the WTA.) Anderson retired. Thiem played a tough match v. the talented, mercurial, and home town favorite Fognini, Dimitrov v. Nishikori was always going to be a coin-flip and it was a fascinating match. Isner went the proscribed 3 TB sets v. a clay-courter, and Ramos-Viñolas came out the better. The MS 1000s are actually tough from the start, so these results can't really shock anyone. Do you really find these results shocking, or demeaning to the ATP?
Insulting WTA or not, I agree with GSM and I think you had a knee jerk reaction.
The top 10 is really weak and has been all season long.
Generally, minimum 50% of them are folding before living up to their ranking. And that is not because there is depth below them.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Insulting WTA or not, I agree with GSM and I think you had a knee jerk reaction.
The top 10 is really weak and has been all season long.
Generally, minimum 50% of them are folding before living up to their ranking. And that is not because there is depth below them.
No, I thought about it before I wrote it. GSM is complaining that Thiem, Dimitrov, Anderson and Isner are out, but my point is that there's a decent reason. Anderson ret., but there is also a number of people who are falsely low-ranked because of injury lay-offs. Nishikori beating Dimitrov on clay is hard to call an upset. That Thiem lost to Fognini in Italy is also not a complete shocker. Fognini runs hot and cold. We all know that. And it was a hard-fought match. Also, Thiem can be seen to have trouble backing up wins. (Beats Rafa, loses to Djokovic. Beats Djokovic, loses to Rafa. Makes the finals in Madrid, loses to Zverev. Comes to Rome, loses to Fognini. It's a pattern.) The top 10 and top 20 are pretty volatile and moving around now, due to injury. It's not like the solid top 10 of a few years ago.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am not denying that injuries played an important role in the current ranking configuration. But the replacements are simply not at par to whom they replaced. Period.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not denying that injuries played an important role in the current ranking configuration. But the replacements are simply not at par to whom they replaced. Period.
Conversation ended, I guess. :cool:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, I hope so! No worries to you. I was going off the top of my head re: when Rafa lost to Denis. It was last summer. I'd wager money though that some like GSM would not have got that wrong. They do catalogue them. ;)

How could I forget that?

Even more interesting are Rafa's Clay Losses. Here is a catalogue of losses till MC 2014 . Interestingly, he had only 12 losses until then. But, has accumulated double that number (24) since then.
Will the 37th loss be covered by Fog? :scratch:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
When Novak beat Nishi last time, Nishi was also coming back from injury. Now, Nishi is seasoned and may shield Novak from Dirt Devil.