Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome ATP 1000, 2018

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, the "easily" followed the "not-unlucky" part (and I meant in the draw). Off course, for mortals, nothing comes easy in a major.
I also think you're jumping the gun a bit. Sasha Zverev has hardly made the 2nd week of a Major, and he has 3 MS1000s trophies. Lajovic may be a good mid-pack guy, but I don't see anything special enough to put him in to contention even for the business-end of a big tournament. Do you really?

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Lots of compelling matches tomorrow. I have to work, but: Nishikori v. F. Lopez (should be straight-forward, depending on Kei;) Djoker v. Dolgo...not a great first round for ND; F3 v. Monfils: would love to watch that. And some of the undercards are interesting, too.

Why? Dolgopolov is one of only two guys who won less matches in last 100 days than Nole did. The other one is Troicki. ;)

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I also think you're jumping the gun a bit. Sasha Zverev has hardly made the 2nd week of a Major, and he has 3 MS1000s trophies. Lajovic may be a good mid-pack guy, but I don't see anything special enough to put him in to contention even for the business-end of a big tournament. Do you really?

Zverev has not made the second week of a major due to his own fault. His shortcomings should not be projected in the rest of the field.

Moxie, I am aware that Lajovic is a mid-ranked player, and I am aware that reaching the 2nd week is a big achievement for anyone outside the top 8. But, yes, I do see something extra on the guy, that is why I am bothering to "champion" him a bit. As I posted a while ago, I have seen him play "live" here at SP three years ago and he called my attention back then. Saw already a few matches of the guy on TV (I would say 4 or 5) and liked what I saw. I thought "I would like to play exactly like this guy plays". Beautiful backhand, plays smart but attacks more than defends, nice attitude on court. Do I believe he will reach #1? Unfortunately no. I cannot even be sure he would reach top 20, even if last week I saw some glimpses of brilliance in his play. I am crediting his loss to Anderson due to nerves (while giving credit to Anderson's quality and big serve).

I guess his game is the classical clay court game. Solid, explores well the angles and a good, sustained offense. He is playing at a level consistent with the (early) second week of RG. So, if he avoids the top 4 seeds in the draw, I can "easily" see him reaching the second week. By "easily" I do meant he gets there easily, but that the scenario is likely (again, given a reasonable draw).

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why? Dolgopolov is one of only two guys who won less matches in last 100 days than Nole did. The other one is Troicki. ;)
Tricky game. Underachieves because of his health.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Health... and he doesn't really have a consistent "go to" game to fall back on... it's all trickery, unpredictability... I don't think he knows what he's doing from one shot to the next. Entertaining to watch though, for sure.

Reactions: 10isfan

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Health... and he doesn't really have a consistent "go to" game to fall back on... it's all trickery, unpredictability... I don't think he knows what he's doing from one shot to the next. Entertaining to watch though, for sure.
I am with you. I don't think he is an underachiever . He was as high as 13 ranked. To do more, you need consistency and solid game plan to rely on. He did not have any of them.

Reactions: 10isfan

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Novak wins in straight sets. He could drop out io the top 30 if he is not progressing a lot further

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sharapova practicing with Rafa in Roma

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Sharapova practicing with Rafa in Roma

This is what I have mentioned multiple times before. These screamers do not make an effin peep while training, but have multiple orgasms on court in real competition. Hitting with Rafa is probably more taxing than playing a real match against any other female on tour. Give me an effin break.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is what I have mentioned multiple times before. These screamers do not make an effin peep while training, but have multiple orgasms on court in real competition. Hitting with Rafa is probably more taxing than playing a real match against any other female on tour. Give me an effin break.
I better would say it's a very good and smart practicing for Maria but not for Nadal

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
We'll see what is going to happen in this tournament but after to see how bad Rafa played match by match in Madrid (of course he had to lose sooner or later) I don't think he could do worse in Roma. Anyway last year he lost vs Thiem too and later he played one of his best RG that I remember. Nobody can keep the best game tournament by tournament and not even match by match like I've seen in the Madrid's final, I was really surprised with the Zverev win

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've read Milos still has problems in his knee

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Chung has been such a disappointment in this clay season specially after his AO. Solid game that can trouble anyone but he's becoming another glassikori.

Thiem will be extra motivated after losing Madrid so if he meets Wafa in the QF, a repeat of Madrid is possible.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I better would say it's a very good and smart practicing for Maria but not for Nadal
Rafa was just giving her soft rally playable balls but a very good hitting sessions.. I dont know how advanced of tennis players some of you posters are but when you are in a hitting zone like that its so therapeutic, well at least for me it is.

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
And I think Rublev too. He is missing in action the last several weeks.

The way they're playing these days, "all out," with the ball traveling over 100 MPH may have a lot to do with it! Back in the day, sure there were injuries, but it didn't have much to do with "overplaying" the ball/shots! It had to do more with stress put on the arm and tennis rackets little more than sticks! Players weren't as fit either with some sporting beer guts; esp. in doubles! Now everyone is lean, has a team of assistance, endorse management, but they're all breaking down anyway; arms, legs, wrists, elbows, knees, hips, ankles, and the latest thing going metabolic determining if one's diet s/b free of gluten, etc.! I've already stopped watching the women; not too long before all the geezers I know will be leaving the men's ranks, but I have been impressed somewhat by the "next gen" of Zverev, Thiem, & Chung! :whistle:

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Chung has been such a disappointment in this clay season specially after his AO. Solid game that can trouble anyone but he's becoming another glassikori.

Thiem will be extra motivated after losing Madrid so if he meets Wafa in the QF, a repeat of Madrid is possible.
Only the Roger’s fans can take you serious or having the same wishes........:lulz2:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa was just giving her soft rally playable balls but a very good hitting sessions.. I dont know how advanced of tennis players some of you posters are but when you are in a hitting zone like that its so therapeutic, well at least for me it is.
Maria was practicing vs the best wall she could find :good: