Indian Wells, BNP Paribas Open, CA, USA, ATP Masters 2017

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course I want Federer to win, but part of me would love to see a Carreno Busta-Sock final, as unlikely as that is.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
Of course I want Federer to win, but part of me would love to see a Carreno Busta-Sock final, as unlikely as that is.
Ditto

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I was bummed we didn't get a Kyrgios - Fed match.
The Sock-Nishi match made for a really poor substitute. Nishikori plays poorly almost everytime the draws open up for him... Just atrocious errors all match long and for a player of his caliber, the numerous missed opportunities on very makeable shots is pretty much unforgivable.

Someone needs to work on flattening out his forehand for some shots, bc as it stands he's basically not improving anymore and has maxed out.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Come on Sock and Carreno, I'd like to see them playing the finals B-)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Come on Sock and Carreno, I'd like to see them playing the finals B-)

And here I thought you loved the Swiss guys :clap: your "dream" final is very unlikely and you and the players' families would be the only ones watching

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And here I thought you loved the Swiss guys :clap: your "dream" final is very unlikely and you and the players' families would be the only ones watching
Simply I rather to watch a new guys which it would be very entertaining though obviously you wouldn't watch them, not big deal B-):cheerleader:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
El Dude said:
Ditto

Not me. I would rather see some other new players than these two. May be a Thiem vs. Grigor or something like that.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:
El Dude said:
Ditto

Not me. I would rather see some other new players than these two. May be a Thiem vs. Grigor or something like that.

Of course Thiem vs. Grigor - or Zverev, Kyrgios, etc, would all be preferable. Sock and Carreno Busta don't have that "it factor" or sex appeal. But my point was simply that they are new blood, and both are third tier players at best, so it would be nice to see their perseverance pay off, with one of them winning a Masters title - something players like Monfils, Verdasco, Gasquet, Nishikori, and Raonic have not done.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Socks rocks, incredible tourney for him, wish him good luck vs the old guy

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:

it'ld be funny to see CB vs Sock for sure...especially in a MS !! don't thnik it'll happen but who knows what the Swiss guys ate last evening ?? some damaged food ??

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:

Of course Thiem vs. Grigor - or Zverev, Kyrgios, etc, would all be preferable. Sock and Carreno Busta don't have that "it factor" or sex appeal. But my point was simply that they are new blood, and both are third tier players at best, so it would be nice to see their perseverance pay off, with one of them winning a Masters title - something players like Monfils, Verdasco, Gasquet, Nishikori, and Raonic have not done.

The "IT" factor is a subjective attribute IMO. For me, Grigor has it, so does Thiem and Kyrgios. Zverev, not so much, I find him dull, actually.
Some fans were laughing here on this forum at Carreno-Busta or Sock a few years ago, when they were on a temporary plateau and seemed like some journey men.
But recently, they both climbed into relevance, and now both pressed into the top 20 (Busta will 3nter as of newt week). And because the players these days are peaking towards late twenty- or even later, both could become serious contenders on a regular basis, if they keep growing.
They could easily lose today and be a single opportunity for them in this event, but I do think they will have many more in the future.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
El Dude said:
GameSetAndMath said:

The "IT" factor is a subjective attribute IMO. For me, Grigor has it, so does Thiem and Kyrgios. Zverev, not so much, I find him dull, actually.
Some fans were laughing here on this forum at Carreno-Busta or Sock a few years ago, when they were on a temporary plateau and seemed like some journey men.
But recently, they both climbed into relevance, and now both pressed into the top 20 (Busta will 3nter as of newt week). And because the players these days are peaking towards late twenty- or even later, both could become serious contenders on a regular basis, if they keep growing.
They could easily lose today and be a single opportunity for them in this event, but I do think they will have many more in the future.

But, do you agree that neither PCB nor SOck has the "IT" factor even according to you.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:
AP,
This isn't 2013. And if it was, I can't answer that question without seeing the match again. Nadal's problems are greater than this one result. This has been going on for a couple of years now. I know he's your boy, but I'm sorry AP, he isn't doing anything new. After all those losses Fed took from Nadal and Djoker, he's finally flipped the script because he was willing to make some changes after he started declining.

Rafa isn't doing that. He continues to play the same defensive way. He won't step up to the baseline for returns, he's constantly dropping the ball short and he doesn't actively seek to come to net and force the issue. The fact that he does it in doubs means he can do it, he just doesn't do it in singles. I don't know if it's willful blindness or just plain stubbornness, but it will be a quick slide into retirement at this rate.

Everything you wrote is painful about Rafa but it's true. A few people mentioned that the way Rafa played without making any adjustments is shameful, Rafa should be made to walk his way to Miami. I seriously doubt that he should play Maimi, what for, he can't win because he too stubborn ( I am being pc) to change. Rafa's last great match was vs Dimitrov..
You know I will always shoot you straight. Even that Dimi match was tense. He could have lost that. I don't understand what's the purpose of bringing in Moya if he isn't going to try anything different.

Moya has Rafa playing more aggressively..the stats were shown last week on TC..however Rafa changes his mentality against Quarry and Federer..if a player serves big, plays first strike tennis its forces Rafa's style of play to be too defensive which is incredibly frustrating and hard to comprehend. You can't win aN ATP tour level championship on hardcourt with a WTA mid level serve..Serena and most of the female big servers serve as hard as or harder than Rafa..that's unbelievable and unacceptable.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:
El Dude said:

But, do you agree that neither PCB nor SOck has the "IT" factor even according to you.

Sock really shows some "balls " vs Dimitrov and Samurai..he has a chance vs Fed if he plays well

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Just look who is having a breakthrough, Carreno-Busta and Sock.
Good for both of them
:clap

Yeah..they both have stepped up their games..